Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auction Buying Agent Wanted.

ishmael

Dear Sirs,

forgive me please if I'm posting in the wrong place. If I am then will a moderator move it to a more suitable section please.

I am seeking a trustworthy auction buying agent to purchase a used Lexus at auction for me. In the past I used Douglas Coker at Cars4customers. He was most competent and trustworthy but alas! he is now retired.

I'd be most obliged to anyone for a recommendation.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to read this.

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

Dear Steve,

I'm sorry I mistook you for the moderator;- and thank you for your helpful reply.

I'm seeking a four years old LS430. I believe it's the last year of that model. In the past I've used "Cars4Customers"; which is (or rather was), an auction buying agent. How much do I wish to spend?, ha! as little as possible, hence buying at auction. I have no desire whatsoever to be bid-up (again) by a spiteful dealer so I'd prefer to use a buying agent. Since posting my request this afternoon, I checked the "Daily Telegraph's Honest John" website and found two names. One of them is a gentleman called Julian Trim and the the other was a gentleman called Joe Dowd trading as auctioncarbuyer.co.uk. I have never used either.

I paid "Cars4Customers" 6% plus VAT on the hammer price, I assume that's fair. I'm most surprised that no one on this forum appears to have heard of an auction buying agent.

Steve, do you have any recommendations to give me?

Once again, I thank you for your courteous and helpful reply.

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

Dear Steve,

this is how an auction buying agent works:- viz:-

One agrees with the agent what car, colour, price range, age, mileage ect. Then one pays a nominal deposit of one to two hundred pounds to show serious intent. If you cancel then, they keep that money, fair enough.

The agent will then search upcoming auctions for what you want, tell you he's going for it and then on the day of auction, look at the car before it goes under the hammer. They will telephone you to report on it's condition and paperwork and (well, my last buyer did) give their opinion. They will then bid for the car within the agreed aforehand maximum price. If all goes well, he will have bought the car.

You buy the car off him for the hammer price and as previously mentioned, 6% plus VAT;- about seven and a quarter percent on top of the hammer price. Then either go to the buying agent with a banker's draft for the full amount less the one or two hundred pounds ernest money and drive your new car away OR transfer the funds electronically and pay extra to have the car delivered to you.

I believe the general term is employing an agent to buy on commission. It is done for all types of auction. My request for a recommendation for a trustworthy agent is because when money enters the deal, trust often flies out of it. There are very honest car buying agents out there and there are some who are less so.

I hope this answers your question.

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

How about this,,,,,

I have a 4 year old LS430 which I desperately need to sell for as much as possible (not really, just stay with me on this). Best I can get is £10000 private.

I arrange with Steve (West Mid... to act as my agent to buy a 4 year old LS430 at auction for me. I arrange for my car to go to auction.

Steve calls me and tells me there's a nice 4 year old coming up for auction and I tell Steve to bid up to £13000.

Steve then buys my car for me with his own money. Steve calls me to say he paid £13000. I tell Steve that I can't go through with the deal and to keep my deposit of £100. Steve then tries to sell my car as he's £12900 out of pocket.

''Voila''

or am I being too cynical?

Dear Steve,

I'm in Hampshire and I'd be delighted to exchange contact details with anyone respectable, and of a sober disposition. Using "Anonymizer" security software gives me a USA IP address;- somewhere in the state of Oregon I think.

I feel that I have failed, despite my best efforts, to explain what information I wanted.

All I wanted was a recommendation for a trustworthy car auction buying company. From perusing your replies I gather that you may not know what one is. I tried to explain but alas, I have failed to do so. I did offer two names, viz:-www.juliantrim.co.uk and www.auctioncarbuyer.co.uk. Since I first posted my request, these two companies have been recommended as trustworthy.

Perhaps if your goodselves perused these two websites you may gain an inkling of what I wanted.

Gentlemen, I shall leave you to your deliberations.unless you wish to contact me. I wish you well.

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

Ishmael

we are unindated with requests and offers very much like yours, so forgive us if we seem offish, most requests are scammers who try one way or another to extract money, or our services from us

where ip addresses contradict where the poster says he is from, it is always treated with caution

auction buying companies are new to me and i would guess most members here, so sorry if we cant cast recommendations or advise you further

lastly a member since 2007 !! and only a handful of posts

stop being shy and post a bit more

we dont normally bite :)

Dear Bazza,

thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply.

I wish to remind your goodself that you are not inundated with requests like mine, for, as you wrote further; "auction buying companies are new to me and i would guess most members here." ie; my request was therefore novel and completely unfamiliar.

There is naught to forgive in one being "offish". It is not a sin and many cultures show initial reserve. Yet I feel that boorish and graceless postings do little to promote goodwill.

I wish to draw your goodself's attention to your tems and conditions with reference to Forum Terms And Conditions; "be polite, treat your your fellow members with respect."

And in Forum Conduct And Message Content; "We take the "be polite rule VERY seriously! We will not tolerate ANY rudeness etc". It is a shame that these rules will not be enforced.

Censure should be based on an understanding of the facts, not an automatic and ignorant outcry.

Sir, I posted for the first time in almost three years and look what I got. Would you ever post again?

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

Dear Bazza,

I wish to remind your goodself that you are not inundated with requests like mine, for, as you wrote further; "auction buying companies are new to me and i would guess most members here." ie; my request was therefore novel and completely unfamiliar.

There is naught to forgive in one being "offish". It is not a sin and many cultures show initial reserve. Yet I feel that boorish and graceless postings do little to promote goodwill.

I wish to draw your goodself's attention to your tems and conditions with reference to Forum Terms And Conditions; "be polite, treat your your fellow members with respect."

And in Forum Conduct And Message Content; "We take the "be polite rule VERY seriously! We will not tolerate ANY rudeness etc". It is a shame that these rules will not be enforced.

Censure should be based on an understanding of the facts, not an automatic and ignorant outcry.

Sir, I posted for the first time in almost three years and look what I got. Would you ever post again?

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

Very well put Ishmael :D

Dear Bazza,

may I point out to you that the words "offers very much like yours" was so put to imply people asking for help regarding auctions and percentages etc are very commonplace not only here but throughout the whole internet world

the fact that "auction buying companies" are new to me or other members, does not imply that your initial request was novel

"a new day a new scam" could well have been apt

not that I am trying to imply that you are in actual fact a scammer , but just the fact that similar requests generally lead to one, and therefore tend to be handled with caution

if you have any complaint about me, please feel free to report it, either steve or mat will be happy to listen

if you have any complaints about any member, please feel free to report it to a moderator, and action will take place

please let me point out that most members who have experienced scamming are very reluctant to help what may appear to them to be a scam,

cant agree more, thats why the moderating team chose not immediately close this thread

however other members experience tend to automate their reply

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

sadly I did, and I am still here 7 years later !

Dear Bazza,

once again I thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply. No sir, you misunderstand me, I have no complaints about you, none whatsoever.

I did report the posting by"Rob" No 7283. to a moderator called; "janey" I have yet to receive a reply.

It would be refreshing if the words of your terms and conditions became deeds instead of being at variance with them. After all sir, one is no more and no less than one's word.

Bazza, I wish you well.

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

To be fair to Ishmael, although at first read one might think this may be a little worrying thread, all he is asking for a recommendation of two companies / persons. He is not asking for one of us to get involved apart from recommending and not trying to buy one of our cars ( to the contrary they are too expensive for him ;) ), or for us to put any money up for him.

I for one can't treat this as anything other than genuine ( although was a bit wary at first hence my posts ). I think the others have mostly been trying to just flush out what was going on.

Having looked around the internet both companies seem to offer a similar service and are recommended by others ( although their websites could do with a bit of work ).

Good luck with your hunt. Let us know how you get on.

Ishmael,

If you found my posting offensive and rude towards you then that would suggest you have had a fairly sheltered life as nothing contained within my posting has been offensive.

Daily i recieve emails along the same lines as your posting asking for people to be "agents" etc when in all reality its just a scam and someone trying to extort money.

Your original posting was very unclear and quite vague as to what you actually wanted and as such that resulted in the type of replies from myself and other forum members. Only after reading your 5th reply is it clear of your originl intention.

I wish you luck with your search.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links