Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Scary Mpg

gary2009

just a quick update i managed to get it upto 20 mpg today but done nothing different as in driving style or different octane petrol or anything but the only difference was the car wasnt idling high so god knows but i may just have to do with fil said and take it to a garage.

So, you get approximately >20mpg in extra-urban traffic? Mine is also an Auto and I have owned it only since November, so have always been driving it in colder weather conditions and my achievements are like this: extra-urban ~28 mpg and in urban conditions I have been avaraging ~17 mpg. Anybody else with their calculations on an automatic A/T? :)

Yep in urban I get about 20mpg, but most of the time it's over that. If I'm really careful with the way I drive I've had it up to 27mpg.

I'm quite surprised by the figures I'm seeing on here, as the IS200 auto is bad, but not as bad as some are experiencing so worth having it checked out. I drive with a really heavy right foot too so it's not because I'm super frugal or anything either.

what did you do to stop it idling high ?

i didnt do anything just started it up last night and it was running fine but then went out again earlier and again back to 1500 revs again so it seems to be intermittant i really think i may have to go to a garage or buy a code reader speaking of which is it possible to get one thats compatable with the is200 and if so where from?Its been a good car up untill recently other than a flat Battery its been faultless.

code readers can be bought cheap,but if you buy a cheap one thats what your getting a cheap one. Some on the market only give you a fault code, so if you spend 40 quid on a code reader plug it in and it tells you PO355 and nothing else, are you any better off??

I have spent thousands on code readers and ecu scanners non of them do everything on all cars. MOst of the basic cheaper ones just do engine fault codes my more expensive one will do alrams imobiliser reset dash mileage abs airbag traction control central locking everything. Unless you have lots of mates with engine lights on dont buy one just take it to some one who has got one and knows how to use it.

you said your car hasnt got a light on anyway so chances are theres no faults in your system so plugging it in to a basic scanner wont tell you anything. For the warning light to come on the sensor must have gone out of its set peramiters or it wont recognise a fault. You can have a faulty sensor thats still with in its limits. An engine temp sensor can be readign -40 and wont register a fault but it will make the car run on choke all the time giving higher engine revs and higher fuel usage.

Just a thought mate, I had problem with fuel consumption and I had the wheel alignment checked. They were miles out (and all 4 wheels can be aligned). After they were adjusted and rechecked on computer alignment the mpg went up conciderabley. I hadnt noticed much tyre wear previously either.

as said previously i did a motorway run yesterday tho not as far as i expected-first 30miles were round town then the rest motorway and motorway/traffic jam ;-

tank "brimmed" - asda 95 ron unleaded

215 miles round trip

tank "brimmed" (same petrol station ,same pump)

35 litres fuel to refill

i worked this out at about 29mpg - its possible my maths is not right so please correct me if i am wrong

as said previously i did a motorway run yesterday tho not as far as i expected-first 30miles were round town then the rest motorway and motorway/traffic jam ;-

tank "brimmed" - asda 95 ron unleaded

215 miles round trip

tank "brimmed" (same petrol station ,same pump)

35 litres fuel to refill

i worked this out at about 29mpg - its possible my maths is not right so please correct me if i am wrong

You'r not far off with 29 mpg - but it's actually 27.925981 mpg (28 mpg when rounded off).

I worked it out as follows:-

Firstly work out how many gallons there are in 35 litres by dividing 35 litres with 4.54609 (that is how many litres there are in a UK gallon) = 7.6989236 gallons.

Secondly divide the miles travelled which is 215 miles by the petrol used 7.6989236 gallons = 27.925981 mpg.(28 mpg when rounded off).

28 mpg for an IS200 is excellent.

On the odd occassion (light throttle and motorway driving) the best i've had out of my IS200 is 33 mpg but i get a genuine 30 mpg quite often if i keep my foot off the loud pedal. :winky:

thanks imperial-i could have driven a bit more economically but you have to enjoy the drive as well or theres just no point in owning a lexus-all in all its good news for me then-mines an old 299 (1999) just had full service at main dealer and obviously more then capable of hitting original official consumption figures-

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links