Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Collapsed Suspension 1995 Ls

Went out just now and as I walked past my car I thought it looked low at the front. At first I thought it was a puncture, but on closer inspection, the tyre was fully inflated. It looks like this:

DroppedI030310.jpg

DroppedII030310.jpg

I can't bend down to have a proper look, as 10 days ago I had a motorbike-black ice coming together, the resul of which is I have torn some major muscles in my thigh. the car has not been driven for about three weeks, and has done 225,000. It was MOT's in early Jan b a Lexus dealer, and they gave the car a thorough going over (at my request) and found a few tiny faults, but the suspension was said to be good.

So what could it be, and why would it go overnight (it was fine at 6pm last night)? Whats more scary is if it had dropped when driving it, as it is usually driven with 4 passengers.

Hoping to get full mobility back in a couple of weeks, but until then I am stuck as to what it could be.

Yes, definitely a broken spring. I have had a couple go on my DHP. My mechanic says it is a bit of a pig of a job but I give him plenty of practice! I replaced both front springs last time (just a few months ago) even though only one had gone.

Make sure you get the correct springs for your DHP as they are different from the standard ones. As far as I know, they are only available from Lexus so they should supply the correct ones from the chassis or registration number.

Thanks for your replies-I never brealised broken springs was such a common occurance.

Not sure if my car is a DHP, but it does have the wheels from a DHP model.

Are there any aftermarket springs that anyone knows of, or is it best to stick to Lexus? And I presume I can replace just one rather than a pair like with shocks? Won't be for a few weeks at least-these injuries just won't heal quick enough-unless I can find a decent mechainic with Lexus knowledge in North Essex. Anyone know one?

Are the springs colour coded?. When I changed a broken one on mine there were blue painted bands (3?) on the spring and the replacement off eBay had the same blue bands and I have DHP wheels on my car which were on when I bought it.

Thanks for your replies-I never brealised broken springs was such a common occurance.

Not sure if my car is a DHP, but it does have the wheels from a DHP model.

Are there any aftermarket springs that anyone knows of, or is it best to stick to Lexus? And I presume I can replace just one rather than a pair like with shocks? Won't be for a few weeks at least-these injuries just won't heal quick enough-unless I can find a decent mechainic with Lexus knowledge in North Essex. Anyone know one?

I had a rear spring go on my 97 LS last year after a 3000-mile trip to the south of France. I just took it to my local garage where they ordered the part from a Toyota dealership 5 miles away. I had to wait for three days and the mechanic said it was a pig of a job, but I got it all done for £150. It's not terminal by any means.

I've got to admit, though, that I wince whenever it goes over a pothole now. I don't know what the roads are like around the rest of the country, but in East Devon they're appalling after this winter.

I just took it to my local garage where they ordered the part from a Toyota dealership 5 miles away. I had to wait for three days and the mechanic said it was a pig of a job, but I got it all done for £150. It's not terminal by any means.

Due to the leg injuries I received I can't drive at the moment, and anyway I wouldn't be happy driving as it is to a repairers. It looks like i'll have to get the RAC to shift it away from my house to a repairers. Anyone know a good mechanic in Essex? And i don't mind if they have it for a week or so-i'm hoping to have recovered enough to drive by then.

So far I have had a quote for one spring-cost is £136 plus VAT :o

• 2 weeks later...

My leg can now bend, and so I took a look under the car this morning, and found a part of the spring under it. So everyone's diagnosis was right.

i found an independant Lexus place in Rayleigh (Westfields), and someone able to transport it there for me, so hope it will be sorted by the end of the week.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links