Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Yes the towbar question again. I think I have answered my own question here but, if there are any other opinions or just a confirmation that I'm right please let me know.

I have been considering an R reg LS400 mk IV (UCF20 II)

I need to tow with this car and have been doing the hunt for a bar, I have found Watling Engineering's site they do a towbar for the LS400 but restrict the year from Jan-95 - Jul-98 and state the car model as UCF20.

The mk IV came out in the US in 1997 and was made available here in late that year in fact this particular car was first registered in November 1997.

I have spoken to Watling and they say that this particular towbar is not type approved, meaning that it can only go on cars registered before August 1998 or R reg and before.

But they can't remember putting one on to a Mk IV. I suspect it is just the reg date of the vehicle that's important and the bar will in fact fit a mk IV.

Has anyone put one on a mk IV? as far as I can see looking at a mk III and a mk IV they look the same in the towbar fitting area.

Cheers Dave

Yes the towbar question again. I think I have answered my own question here but, if there are any other opinions or just a confirmation that I'm right please let me know.

I need to tow with this car and have been doing the hunt for a bar, I have found Watling Engineering's site they do a towbar for the LS400 but restrict the year from Jan-95 - Jul-98 and state the car model as UCF20.

The mk IV came out in the US in 1997 and was made available here in late that year in fact this particular car was first registered in November 1997.

I have spoken to Watling and they say that this particular towbar is not type approved, meaning that it can only go on cars registered before August 1998 or R reg and before.

But they can't remember putting one on to a Mk IV. I suspect it is just the reg date of the vehicle that's important and the bar will in fact fit a mk IV.

Has anyone put one on a mk IV? as far as I can see looking at a mk III and a mk IV they look the same in the towbar fitting area.

Cheers Dave

Hi yes i have one I fitted on mine, if you order it through towtrust or tow equipe it is cheaper than from watling direct, allow yourself a full day to fit it & you will need a hand from time to time.

Cheers Dave

Dave

This is what the Caravan Club says: -

"To find out whether a bracket is suitable, there are several questions to ask. First, has the bracket design for your car been tested to the appropriate British or European Standard? Next, does the bracket mount only to the car manufacturer’s recommended mounting points? Then, has the bracket been tested on a rig representing the car’s mounting points? For cars registered before 1 August 1998, a bracket tested to British Standard BS AU 114b is acceptable. From 1 August 1998 all new cars registered from that date must, by law, only be fitted with a towing bracket that has been tested to the EU 94/20 Directive. Before fitting any bracket that is not the manufacturer’s own, first read carefully the small print of the warranty".

Your car should be fine with the Watling Engineering bracket.

I tow a 1500 Kg caravan with an LS430 and have fitted a transmission cooler, it's an excellent tow car.

John N

Dave

This is what the Caravan Club says: -

"To find out whether a bracket is suitable, there are several questions to ask. First, has the bracket design for your car been tested to the appropriate British or European Standard? Next, does the bracket mount only to the car manufacturer’s recommended mounting points? Then, has the bracket been tested on a rig representing the car’s mounting points? For cars registered before 1 August 1998, a bracket tested to British Standard BS AU 114b is acceptable. From 1 August 1998 all new cars registered from that date must, by law, only be fitted with a towing bracket that has been tested to the EU 94/20 Directive. Before fitting any bracket that is not the manufacturer’s own, first read carefully the small print of the warranty".

Your car should be fine with the Watling Engineering bracket.

I tow a 1500 Kg caravan with an LS430 and have fitted a transmission cooler, it's an excellent tow car.

John N

Thanks John

Now I have to find the right car, want one with less than 140k and a series IV (pre Aug 98) thought i'd found it but now looking iffy.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Are you after a mark 4? You've mentioned mark 4 but pre aug 98 so unsure. I know you mentioned under 140k and this one has just turned 140k. It is in Excellent condition with the odd stonechip to the bonnet. It drives very well (we did nearly 270 miles when we collected it). I can get it for less than the advertised price.

Regards

B

I got one the other day a 98 mk IV done under 60k paid 3,700 for it though.

Buy the best one you can find they say, so I did has the DHP option too.

Do know of someone else that might be interested mind........

The pre Aug 98 thing was because of the lack of a tow bar for the post Aug 98 cars, not even sure Lexus do em anymore.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Are you after a mark 4? You've mentioned mark 4 but pre aug 98 so unsure. I know you mentioned under 140k and this one has just turned 140k. It is in Excellent condition with the odd stonechip to the bonnet. It drives very well (we did nearly 270 miles when we collected it). I can get it for less than the advertised price.

Regards

B

I got one the other day a 98 mk IV done under 60k paid 3,700 for it though.

Buy the best one you can find they say, so I did has the DHP option too.

Do know of someone else that might be interested mind........

The pre Aug 98 thing was because of the lack of a tow bar for the post Aug 98 cars, not even sure Lexus do em anymore.

Cheers

Dave

Nice. You're not selling your DHP's by any chance ;)

Edited by janey
Non Gold

Nice. You're not selling your DHP's by any chance ;)

Noooooooooo :winky:

Don't think I would either. My standard wheels going for a refurb in the next day or so. Just got to swap them

I'll be towing a bit more with mine a 1500kg caravan.

I am going to bung a trans oil cooler on it, got one on the shelf so no real expense. Is a Hyundai one mind you!

Mines got both. We should swap cars! I don't use it (the Tow Bar) :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Don't think I would either. My standard wheels going for a refurb in the next day or so. Just got to swap them

What's it costing for a refurb my DHP's are not bad but have some under paint corrosion so It won't be long before I need to do the deed.

I'll be towing a bit more with mine a 1500kg caravan.

I am going to bung a trans oil cooler on it, got one on the shelf so no real expense. Is a Hyundai one mind you!

Mines got both. We should swap cars! I don't use it (the Tow Bar) :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

No point in swaping now as mine has the a towbar, turned out to be a real pig of a job, took me all of 7 hours due to holes in slightly the wrong places and megga problems getting a wire from the Battery to the boot. Did it all on me own too, if I had to do another it would be relativly easy, but not in a hurry.

Cheers Dave

What's it costing for a refurb my DHP's are not bad but have some under paint corrosion so It won't be long before I need to do the deed.

The place I go to charge by the inch and a little extra depending on what you want doing. I got a set of speedline safari's done a few months ago and a great job too.

It's gonig to cost me £64 to have them refurbed (well rubbed down probably sand blasted and then painted and laquered). I've got to have the tyres removed (there's only about 3-4mm left on them but I have some brand new ones purchased). Then will cost me approx. £25 to have the new tyres fitted and all four wheels balanced so say £100 in total but maybe a little extra if I decide for a chrome coat.

Towed with it for the first time the other day an hours trip and tows like a dream. you know it's there but still plenty of power.

Watched the current fuel consumption go down to 4.5mpg going up a grade though.

All in all a good experiance.

The pain and suffering endured during the towbar fit is now fading too, wounds almost healed.

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links