Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Loss Of Engine Power

Now that the summer has really set in over here and the temp is on average 35C the old aircon is being used. I normally dont use it and have the windows open but lately its a necessity.

The car runs fine but you can really see a drop in revs when the system kicks in and feel the loss of power when putting your foot down.

Anyone think there could be a problem with my aircon system or is it the norm? I havn't had the gas checked for a while though.

Also i noticed a slight drop when driving with my lights on and the stereo playing. Its not alot just a few revs but is there something available so that i wont suffer with any power loss on the engine?

Thanks

Whenever you turn on anything electrical on your car there will be a strain on your alternator which in turn will make your engine work harder... Similarly with your aircon, there will always be a slight change in tone as the compressor kicks in and out though the ECU will compensate for the extra work that the engine has to do so the actual drop in revs should be virtually none. You may have a problem with your aircon ranging from improperly charged to the compressor itself starting to lock up. You shouldn't really be able to feel a loss of power with the aircon on in a 2 litre car

transporter could be absolutely correct as it is his field of expertise - my opinion was that there was a slight difference on the lex very slightly with ac on - also my friend has a wr1 and that is a 2 litre and it noticeably affects acceleration on low load or normal driving conditions

I've always found power down when it's really hot, the IS200 just doesn't have enough power already, when the aircon is working overtime it really saps the engines power.

Obviously I don't know how bad it is in your car, but I feel a noticeable difference on hot days.

I've always found power down when it's really hot, the IS200 just doesn't have enough power already, when the aircon is working overtime it really saps the engines power.

Obviously I don't know how bad it is in your car, but I feel a noticeable difference on hot days.

yes i have to agree, i also feel a slight loss of power when air cons on

Thanks for your replies. I think I will take the car to lexus and see if they can have a look at the aircon unit to see if there is a problem. When I'm cruising on the motorway you can feel the system sap the power when the compressor kicks in.

Will keep you guys updated of the results.

Thanks again

The only car that I have ever noticed that the aircon affected performance was the 1.3 Corolla that I had as a runabout when I lived in Dubai, the aircon would knock about 5kph of the top speed. You may feel the inertia of the compressor kick in and out, it is going from 0rpm to several thousand rpm almost instantly but the few horsepower that it consumes shouldn't make much difference to your overall performance, My ac never gets switched off and the car can still achieve its top speed when blasting through Germany.

I think that you have to establish if you are feeling a genuine loss of power due to a fault with your aircon compressor or if you are simply feeling the inertia of the compressor engage and disengage the compressor will consume a few horse power but not to a major degree... How much power are you losing? is your top speed reduced? how many seconds are you losing in your 0-60 times? You will also lose power if you drive with your lights, HRW, or any electrical equipment on...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links