Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I was driving (2007 IS220D) at about 50mph in 4th gear the other day with the cruise on. I was on a flat stretch so there was no acceleration. The car started to chug suddenly. It was as if it was about to cut out. It lasted about 10 seconds before returning to normal. No warning lights appeared. I am due a 40k service next week. I rang Lexus to see if they had heard of something like this before but they hadn't.

Since it first happened I have been very vigilant. I notice that I get the odd "chug" in the same conditions above. Not necessarily the same speed/revs/gear but not accelerating. Also, this does not occur on a cold start. I had been driving for two hours when this happened first of all.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

On a side note, I am getting a Yaris as a temp car during the service. I just had to laugh!

Thanks.

Yep - used to happen, usually in 5th when doing about 85-90mph on the flat. Felt like it was struggling to get the juice through, as though it was running out of diesel.

Had the car just over 3yrs and happened in the last 5-6 months of ownership so never bothered to get it looked at as it was a leased vehicle (yeah, selfish I know).

Thanks for that, at least now I know I'm not imagining it!

Are there any recommendations for a fuel additive that would work well for engine cleaning? It's a 220D btw.

Are there any recommendations for a fuel additive that would work well for engine cleaning? It's a 220D btw.

The jury is out to how well the additives work - I use Millers DP ecomax in the odd tank of diesel, other 220 users have used this too.

Secondly, always use a good fuel, supermarket diesel isnt the best for keeping a clean engine, I use only Shell or BP.

Finally, worth checking the EGR valve to see if it is carbon'd up.... It probably is and can cause a variety of engine problems! Theres plenty of posts to support this and instructions to clean it on this forum.

Thanks for this. I just cleaned the EGR valve on Monday. It wasn't as bad as some of the pictures I've seen on this forum. I was thinking of cleaning the mass air flow sensor as well. Seems pretty straight forward. I worry when I hear about large carbon build ups in the engine. Using an additive (if it works) seems sell worth the price. I use ESSO in general. Don't no much about it but never buy the supermarket fuels. Unfortunately I live in Ireland and there are no BP stations I am aware of and most Shell stations have been taken over by Topaz.

The jury is out to how well the additives work - I use Millers DP ecomax in the odd tank of diesel, other 220 users have used this too.

Secondly, always use a good fuel, supermarket diesel isnt the best for keeping a clean engine, I use only Shell or BP.

Finally, worth checking the EGR valve to see if it is carbon'd up.... It probably is and can cause a variety of engine problems! Theres plenty of posts to support this and instructions to clean it on this forum.

I stuck half a bottle of Redex in when I filled up last time. I`ve always been a bit sceptical but genuinely feel it has improved the performance with slightly less turbo-lag.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links