Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Filter

Yamavira

Hi

IS 250 Auto Petrol due for a service. Considering having a K&N Air Filter fitted instead of the standard filter.

Would welcome comments from anyone that has had a K&N air filter fitted.

Is it worth the extra money. Does it make any tangible difference to the car's performance (as per their ads !!).

Thanks

Al.

I got a K&N filter fitted to my IS200.

Main reason I went for one was it lasts longer than the OEM filter- it needs a clean/re-charge every few years I think?

You won't notice any improvement in terms of BHP or MPG with a K&N filter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a K&N filter. Caused problems so i later ditched it for a OEM disposable again.

Because K&N filters are oiled, it causes MAF issues. Also, when coming to a stop from high speed, I had issues with the car shivering and jerking as if it is about to stall. All this was due to the K&N filter.

When my OEM one needs replacing, i'm planning to replace it with a HKS Drop In Filter which is a dry filter not oiled

I had issues with the car shivering and jerking as if it is about to stall. All this was due to the K&N filter.

Hmmm, I've got a similar intermittent problem on my IS200, could the K&N be the cause of it?

Hmmm, I've got a similar intermittent problem on my IS200, could the K&N be the cause of it?

Could be. I replaced mine back to OEM and removed negative terminal on Battery for a while to reset ECU. Everything was ok after that.

I remember when I had the K&N and I had to reset the ECU for another reason, the car used to shiver and shake like mad while the ECU was reprogramming itself. This didnt happen when I put a new OEM air filter in.

When i looked into my issues, I came across so many threads online about K&N oiled filters damaging MAF sensors.

Could be. I replaced mine back to OEM and removed negative terminal on battery for a while to reset ECU. Everything was ok after that.

I remember when I had the K&N and I had to reset the ECU for another reason, the car used to shiver and shake like mad while the ECU was reprogramming itself. This didnt happen when I put a new OEM air filter in.

When i looked into my issues, I came across so many threads online about K&N oiled filters damaging MAF sensors.

It's only happened a couple of times, and it's not as severe as what you've described but mine has shivered occasionally when stationary and revs drop really low. The other problem is sometimes it feels like the power doesn't come straight on, like there's a little lag when you press the accelerator.

I might need to swap back to an OEM filter and see if that cures it then. Thanks for the advice :)

Could be. I replaced mine back to OEM and removed negative terminal on battery for a while to reset ECU. Everything was ok after that.

It's only happened a couple of times, and it's not as severe as what you've described but mine has shivered occasionally when stationary and revs drop really low. The other problem is sometimes it feels like the power doesn't come straight on, like there's a little lag when you press the accelerator.

I might need to swap back to an OEM filter and see if that cures it then. Thanks for the advice :)

no you need to clean it mate :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: mine is running perfect since i cleaned it

no you need to clean it mate :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: mine is running perfect since i cleaned it

You wont be too happy about it when all that oil from the filter ends up on your MAF sensor and starts messing with the engine management.

You wont be too happy about it when all that oil from the filter ends up on your MAF sensor and starts messing with the engine management.

If I swap it back to standard will I need to do anything else other than resetting the ECU? Or is there anything that might need a clean?

Not if its oiled correctly with the correct amount if oil, also the IS doesnt have a MAF sensor, it uses a MAP sensor :winky:

If I swap it back to standard will I need to do anything else other than resetting the ECU? Or is there anything that might need a clean?

The ideal filter is one that imposes no restriction at all on air-flow. So to prove if your K&N is making matters worse - simply remove the element for a while unless where you drive is really dusty and gritty. There isn't any real evidence that oiled filters have any technical benefits over dry-media filters with a large effective area like the OEM types (these also offer more diffuse paths for the incoming air, better cancelling induction noise). Both eventually clog, and as a simple rule, the longer that takes; the less it is picking up of the stuff it is meant to stop.

The ideal filter is one that imposes no restriction at all on air-flow. So to prove if your K&N is making matters worse - simply remove the element for a while unless where you drive is really dusty and gritty. There isn't any real evidence that oiled filters have any technical benefits over dry-media filters with a large effective area like the OEM types (these also offer more diffuse paths for the incoming air, better cancelling induction noise). Both eventually clog, and as a simple rule, the longer that takes; the less it is picking up of the stuff it is meant to stop.

I thought that too but as the problem is intermitent you may have to drive a few days to notice if it has made any difference so not really an option.......just clean it :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links