Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

6K To Spend - Late 400 Or Early 430?

johnny_p

I have an LS400 which I think for the year (93) is great, no trouble at all so far in 9 months. I am looking to get a better one or a 430. I have about 5 to 6 grand to spend. Would you get a late mint ls400 and save a couple of quid or get the 430 (obviously an early one)? Comments would be appreciated.

John

Hello, at last a fellow LS member who lives near by. I have owned a mk3, mk4 and currently have a 430-2001.

I honestly feel that each has been that bit better than the one before and that you will be pleased with either the mk4 or 430.

To give you some idea of price I got my present car last october from a non Lexus garage and paid £7k. It had done 73k miles(currently 78k) with full Lexus sevice history and one previous owner. I would say it was very good condition though as usual the alloys will need attention soon. A year later I would think you could get something similar for £6k. You should be able to get a really good low mileage mk 4 for about £3/4k.

The 430 feels much more taut and seems to roll less and handle better in normal suspension setting-stiffer still in sport- though obviously it's no sports car, I can't really say if this is due to the different suspension or simply due to the lower mileage(133k when I sold the mk 4), and hence less wear. It does accelerate quicker in my opinion. The down side is that it does use more petrol with around 23 overall and 32/33 on the motorway, about 19 round town. The 430 has more gadets, folding mirrors, massaging rear seats, cool box, blinds etc, but as I am always driving the rear seats don't bother me.

Obviously you will check the service history and especially make sure any cam belt changes (63k/7years on mk 4, 100k or 10years on 430),have either been done or make allowance in what you pay also check ALL the electrical items as they can be expensive to put right. If you go for a 430 make sure any guarantee you get will cover the suspension sensors as these are around £1,200.

Make sure that you look at several to get the best you can and I am sure you won't regret buying either.

Pete.

ps. Lexus Wolverhampton will give discounts on parts and labour to gold members but you will need to ask.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links