Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The A/c regas only lasted a month.The A/C lad came out and found a weep on the lowest union in front of the rad,the most inaccessible.We think it's leaked because of the regas pressure and a 13yr old seal has give up the ghost.He traced the leak by using a 12 volt ultra violet torch and special tinted glasses that shows as green flourscent.The bolt snapped off at the head on the union in question, so the rad has to come out so any tips please. Do both rads have to come out with the fan or can I get away just taking the front one out.I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. Thx.

The A/c regas only lasted a month.The A/C lad came out and found a weep on the lowest union in front of the rad,the most inaccessible.We think it's leaked because of the regas pressure and a 13yr old seal has give up the ghost.He traced the leak by using a 12 volt ultra violet torch and special tinted glasses that shows as green flourscent.The bolt snapped off at the head on the union in question, so the rad has to come out so any tips please. Do both rads have to come out with the fan or can I get away just taking the front one out.I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. Thx.

Hi

The front one is the condensor but you will have to remove the whole assembly. The following 2 links touch on rad removal which may help

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/JHoop/2008-01-31_221733_1994_Lexus_LS_400_V8-4_Removal.pdf

Neither are particularly descriptive but I would use them if I were doing the job and in the absense of any other comments.

Hope there is something useful for you. Let us know how it goes please.

Was the leak test not performed before the last recharge was made? It is now illegal to recharge an AC system before ensuring the system is gas tight.From what you say it would appear the leak was present at the time of the last recharge and that is why it is now depleted of gas after a month.

Working on AC systems requires care to ensure your safety, the gas will penetrate your skin and can result in medical conditions, the correct personal protection kit should be used.This stuff does not only damage the environment!

If you are planning to remove the condenser ensure all the remaining gas has been removed before doing so.

Additionally all AC engineers now have to be fully trained and registered.

Additionally all AC engineers now have to be fully trained and registered.

You would think so wouldn't you. My guy, who is fully trained and did check for leaks first, told me only a couple of months ago that whilst he could be seriously penalised for getting it wrong, there was still nothing concrete to prevent anyone from acting as an "expert" provided they could get their hands on the gas. It is still possible to buy the do-it-yourself kits!

Both rads are out and more snapped/siezed bolts dealt with on the bench,so much easier.I now need 2 new 'O' rings which I'll get on Saturday. I'll put pictures on later and keep you posted. I cant get on with anything now till I have the 'O' rings.Thanks for your views and I will comment later.

ACUnion001.jpgp://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/39buss/ACUnion002.jpg

This is the suspect union. Looks a bit mankey to me.All the others I've opened looked clean.

Devon-ls. I didn't know that but 2 'O' rings have been replaced and they were green.I'll ask tomorrow when I get the replacement for the above.

• 1 month later...

Update. Final Update. To cut a long story short, removed the condensor rad and it nearly fell to bits at the bottom. Ordered one from benfur with his usual excellent service and its been in about a month now and the A/C has been working nice and cold. £20 for the regas so I'm happy with that. MOT next month so it will go in next week for its check over.

Update. Final Update. To cut a long story short, removed the condensor rad and it nearly fell to bits at the bottom. Ordered one from benfur with his usual excellent service and its been in about a month now and the A/C has been working nice and cold. £20 for the regas so I'm happy with that. MOT next month so it will go in next week for its check over.

Glad it all worked out

The long pipe from the bulk head to The receiver is a complete bugger

I normally take them out when the engines been removed.

Well Done and just in time for some snow !

Benfur

Glad it all worked out

The long pipe from the bulk head to The receiver is a complete bugger

I normally take them out when the engines been removed.

Well Done and just in time for some snow !

Benfur

Good to see you posting Maurice

Thank You Steve

As you know I am a man of few words - But Loads of Parts !

Maurice

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links