Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just to give you a heads up.....

A lot of people get brainwashed into comparing Meerkats, Annoying Opera singers and just generally being confused. Check out the lesser known compare sites like Professor Money or quote Zone. Martyn Lewis has a list of the pros and cons on his site. Well worth a look.

Just to give you a heads up.....

A lot of people get brainwashed into comparing Meerkats, Annoying Opera singers and just generally being confused. Check out the lesser known compare sites like Professor Money or quote Zone. Martyn Lewis has a list of the pros and cons on his site. Well worth a look.

Dont forget the CIS (coop insurance services). After years of company cars they covered me Fully Comp with zero NRD years for £330 including business miles. Im 46 by the way: age makes a difference. since then i have had a bloke run into the back of me and claimed for a new raer screen. Renewal last month £320.

brilliant.

Saga offers a price beat guarantee but at over £400 more than my renewal quote they said that they could not go as low as £400 less. I sent them the quote because they could not believe they were so far out. She said if there have been say two claims with their co. in your post code it goes up but another co. may not have any claims in the post code so it is impossible to make a sensible model on a computer, so all quotes are nonsense!

Still the best is NFU so far and the cover is better too. Its still way over £430.00 though.

The big difference is postcode...

I'm 37, have 9+ years NCB, no claims in the last several years, clean licence, etc. And yet, this year the cheapest "confused" quote I can get is somewhere north of £650. If I use my Mum's address, the premium halves.

The worst of it is; I can actually park my car away from home in a highly secure carpark (out of sight, behind a locked gate, even inside a building if necessary) - but guess what: the one-size-fits-all insurance companies can't cope with the fact it's away from home & load up the premium, thus PENALISING me for reducing the risk!

As I have said before (maybe on this thread - its been going on a while) as a former insurance broker, and former insurance company employee, whilst all the obvious details are considered there are other factors such as that company's particular claims experience with that car/area/gender/etc and how much it wants business. New business is good for immediate cashflow so rates today may be low to grab business. Conversley, at any time when cashflow is already good, rates often rise to prevent further business in that class or to only secure high quality business. Driving and personal claims record are but one small part of the overall calculation. This is why it appears totally illogical to the insuring public and why getting a quote every year is important.

Of course another issue is the low headline rate, say on-line, until you get to a question which - if answered truthfully - results in a conversation because it doesn't fit the "profile" and the resultant premium is higher than the on-line quote. The best response I ever had with the follow-up phone call was "you do realise it's a 4 litre car, sir?" I put the phone down.

Anyway, I'm rammbling on as long as this thread. Man in pub he say his insurance is the best. For him. Today. Maybe. Unlikely actually.

Hello SteveLS400, Can I ask you what, in your opinion, is the cheapest car to insure in general terms?

Interesting question which is difficult to answer especially as Ive been out of that business for some time.

In general terms the answer is a small engined popular make and model with good security(especially the immobiliser) with cheap and readily available parts with no modifications of any nature and few manufacturer extras in a solid colour. Anything else is driver/owner related and even the cheapest to insure on paper can become very expensive with the variables that throws up drink convictions etc etc.

The Panda is supposed to be half way decent for a small runabout don't know much about the Seat. Thanks John and Steve.

I went for the NFU quote in the end. Still quite expensive but the level of cover is much higher than most and the excess is sensible at £150. Very decent people as far as I can see.

I have a pair of old Derry boots in the back so perhaps I can count as a farmer?

Just renued with a much more sensible price of £600, which is with Bell. Bell are along with Elephant, are part of Admiral and these three companies were all the cheapest on the comparison sites for me.

Atleast another year of LS motoring for me which is very good!

Well a few months until I see what the MOT throws up! I've been too lucky with MOTs so far.

Good for you Lee. NFU came in at £404 fully singing and dancing on monthly payments. RAC Home rescue and foreign travel green card etc. £150 excess.£50 windscreen.

Its been emotional! Weeks of studying form!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links