Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all first post so go easy on the noob,

I picked up a 96 ls400 a few weeks ago for next to nothing with not tax or mot. ive since taxed and tested it and done about 3k miles in it. its a nice car but has a few electrical glitches that are annoying that id like to rectify before deciding whether to do it up and keep it or sell it on. the answers i get here will probably help in the decision lol.

1. the radio doesnt work. :/

2. front heated seats dont work

3. passenger wing mirror needs replacing as someone has siliconed it in.

4. boot has a leak

5. tracking needs looked at.

6. exhaust manifold gasket i think is blowing.

7. fuel gauge once the tank is half empty has a mind of its own. Can anyone tell me how many litres the tank holds??

Few bits and bobs not much really for a car thats done 130k but all of them together can be a pest. Im after a replacement radio in the mean time or an upgrade. does the forum have any sponsored suppliers??

any any info on the other bits as to why they are faulty and if there are any known easy solutions to the problems.

Apart from the above im really surprised at the ride of the car and how quiet it is. it also drifts rather well in the wet considering its an automatic barge with an open diff.

I picked up a 96 ls400 a few weeks ago for next to nothing with not tax or mot. ive since taxed and tested it and done about 3k miles in it. its a nice car but has a few electrical glitches that are annoying that id like to rectify before deciding whether to do it up and keep it or sell it on. the answers i get here will probably help in the decision lol.

4. boot has a leak

7. fuel gauge once the tank is half empty has a mind of its own. Can anyone tell me how many litres the tank holds??

Few bits and bobs not much really for a car thats done 130k but all of them together can be a pest. Im after a replacement radio in the mean time or an upgrade. does the forum have any sponsored suppliers??

any any info on the other bits as to why they are faulty and if there are any known easy solutions to the problems.

Apart from the above im really surprised at the ride of the car and how quiet it is. it also drifts rather well in the wet considering its an automatic barge with an open diff.

Welcome to the forum. And congrats on buying the best car in the world.

Re your few problem areas, im sure the guys and gals on here will have all the answers for you. For myself id try to find an original radio rather than a after market one. Once you get it working you will find the sound quality is out of this world. Front seats take quite a while to warm up so might be working after all. Benfur, one of the forum members shouls have all the SH parts you needs like wing mirror. Leak in the boot is probably down to missing plastic bits over the rear lights. Open the boot, on each side of the opening just over the lights there should be a black plastic corner piece. If they have not been put back teh boot leaks. The exhaust manifold/cylinder head gasket is a pig to get to. The most likely place to find a blowing exhaust is the flanges between the cats and the "Y" pipe under the car. Its a common issue. Youll find loads of posts about it and ways to "fix" it. Dont know whats happenng with your fuel guage but the tank on a MK11 holds 85 lt or 18.7 Imp gallons.

4. boot has a leak

Welcome to the forum. And congrats on buying the best car in the world.

Re your few problem areas, im sure the guys and gals on here will have all the answers for you. For myself id try to find an original radio rather than a after market one. Once you get it working you will find the sound quality is out of this world. Front seats take quite a while to warm up so might be working after all. Benfur, one of the forum members shouls have all the SH parts you needs like wing mirror. Leak in the boot is probably down to missing plastic bits over the rear lights. Open the boot, on each side of the opening just over the lights there should be a black plastic corner piece. If they have not been put back teh boot leaks. The exhaust manifold/cylinder head gasket is a pig to get to. The most likely place to find a blowing exhaust is the flanges between the cats and the "Y" pipe under the car. Its a common issue. Youll find loads of posts about it and ways to "fix" it. Dont know whats happenng with your fuel guage but the tank on a MK11 holds 85 lt or 18.7 Imp gallons.

Thanks for the response dude sorry to hear your having to sell yours. ive got alot planned for this baby as its a cheap car for the ammount of luxury i cant fault it. its going straight in for a black respray as its pearl white at the moment. Im thinking black car deep dish rims and a set of tints will have it looking the bollox. probably complete oposite from what most people would do to it but i think it will look nice. i just want to make sure im not investing in a can of worms that will be hindered by electrical issues before i start.

the heated seats in the front defo dont work as took a trip from birmingham to leeds and the two guys in the backs arses were roasting and me and the passenger were feeling nothing lol. so will need to over come that. but the gauge is the worst with it being the v8 u get a fright. one minute the guage is half full next its reading empty lol.

If anyone reading this is breaking an ls im after the radio and a wing mirror. id rather keep the radio origianl then the stack system works without any issues.

Once again cheers for the response.

4. boot has a leak

Hi and welcome.

Sir John has covered the direct issues you raised but the search facility on here is a massive resource and many of the answers given in the threads contain links for all kinds of stuff for the LS400.

With regard to the heated seats, failure is a common issue as your search will show; but for all makes. Assuming the fuses are ok then it will be the elements that are broken (they are like those in an electric blanket). Replaceable if you really want but time consuming.

Overall, the cars are fairly bomb-proof with a relatively small list of known issues and at 130k you are just run-in nicely.

With regard to the radio, does it not function at all?

Hi and welcome to the LOC

1. the radio doesnt work. :/ Check the fuses

2. front heated seats dont work Common problem the elements have failed you can buy replacements and fit yourself

3. passenger wing mirror needs replacing as someone has siliconed it in. Either have a look on eBay or send a PM to Benfur who is a member on here and breaks LS400s

4. boot has a leak Again a common problem remove the seal wash and dry,clean the area where the seal fits,apply a bead of silicon sealer and refit the seal

5. tracking needs looked at. Find a decent garage or if you are close WIM is highly recommended on the forum.

6. exhaust manifold gasket i think is blowing. Not common more likely to be either the gasket/flanges where the manifolds/cats connect or a cracked EGR pipe

7. fuel gauge once the tank is half empty has a mind of its own. Can anyone tell me how many litres the tank holds?? Was a circuit design problem on earlier models but not on yours, could be a defective sender unit

Hi and welcome to the LOC

1. the radio doesnt work. :/ Check the fuses

2. front heated seats dont work Common problem the elements have failed you can buy replacements and fit yourself

3. passenger wing mirror needs replacing as someone has siliconed it in. Either have a look on ebay or send a PM to Benfur who is a member on here and breaks LS400s

4. boot has a leak Again a common problem remove the seal wash and dry,clean the area where the seal fits,apply a bead of silicon sealer and refit the seal

5. tracking needs looked at. Find a decent garage or if you are close WIM is highly recommended on the forum.

6. exhaust manifold gasket i think is blowing. Not common more likely to be either the gasket/flanges where the manifolds/cats connect or a cracked EGR pipe

7. fuel gauge once the tank is half empty has a mind of its own. Can anyone tell me how many litres the tank holds?? Was a circuit design problem on earlier models but not on yours, could be a defective sender unit

Hi checked fuses before they are all ok. where is WIM?? for the tracking issue..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links