Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Locking Wheel Nuts

autobahn

Recently had a 'nightmare' with locking wheel nuts. Broke 4 'Keys' and in the end had to have the nut chisseled off, obviously ruining the nut and requiring the wheel to be refurbed. Total cost including labour £222. Whilst waiting for a new set of locking nuts they fitted just a replacement ordinary wheelnut and the wheels looked much nicer. Thinking about it, is anyone going to pinch the wheels off a LS430. I think not.

I've just gone out to check the locking wheel nut. It was just left in the right-hand side luggage net in the boot and I noticed that the key portion of it is heavily chipped so it's likely to slip when used. It shouldn't have passed the approved used warranty checklist so i'll be requesting a new set of locking wheel nuts and key from the dealership.

Recently had a 'nightmare' with locking wheel nuts. Broke 4 'Keys' and in the end had to have the nut chisseled off, obviously ruining the nut and requiring the wheel to be refurbed. Total cost including labour £222. Whilst waiting for a new set of locking nuts they fitted just a replacement ordinary wheelnut and the wheels looked much nicer. Thinking about it, is anyone going to pinch the wheels off a LS430. I think not.

Why could they not remove it with one of those tools to remove locking nuts? Same thing happened to me many years ago, they had it off in 5 mins with no damage to the nut (although it needed to be replaced anyway) or the wheel.

Yep may as well try to get a set under warranty, I know the locking nuts are covered under the normal warranty as I had a replacement set before the initial 3 years expired.

Why could they not remove it with one of those tools to remove locking nuts? Same thing happened to me many years ago, they had it off in 5 mins with no damage to the nut (although it needed to be replaced anyway) or the wheel.

Tried every which way. Perhaps best explained if I post a copy of my letter to Lexus.

Lexus UK

Customer Service

September 28th 2010

Dear Sir/Madam,

please accept this letter from a real Lexus enthusiast and owner for the past seven years. It is not meant as a complaint against Lexus, but something I think you should be made aware of, in case others may suffer the same problem in the future.

Let me start at the beginning.

I purchased my 2007 LS460 from Lexus Belfast at the end of April 2010. I bought the car on the basis of seeing 2 photographs on Autotrader's website, happy in the confidence of purchasing from a Main Lexus Dealership with the added protection of a 1 year Lexus Warranty. Everything was fine up to the 31st July when I developed a puncture in my offside rear tyre.

I tried to change the wheel but the locking nut was so tight, I snapped the inside of the ''key''. Called Lexus Roadside Assist (wonderful service) and he really, really tried, but with no success. The offending locking wheel nut was determined to stay on. He repaired the tyre by injecting a liquid sealant and advised me to contact my nearest Lexus dealer, which is Lexus Guildford. After 1.5 hours, 3 Lexus Technicians, and a further 3 broken ''keys'' the nut was off, but too damaged to go back on.

'We'd better check all the wheels ' said the man from Guildford.

The 2 nearside nuts were loosened within the half hour (considered a success by all present) and the ''Team'' moved on to the offside front. Now, if we thought the punctured rear was difficult, here we came across a nut with ''Attitude''.

Banging, Pushing, Pulling and Hammering, and with the entire stock of ''keys'' and Lexus Technicians exhausted I was told to come back tomorrow when the ''Mother of all Tight Nuts'' will be removed by a Big Man with a Big Chisel, which will result in the alloy wheel being damaged and having to be replaced by a refurbished wheel.

!!! Job Done !!!

Contacted Lexus Belfast and was told that my car was serviced just before my purchase and the wheels came off alright then (not really concerned about them coming off in April). Asked them to talk to Guildford but no one has bothered.

Attached is my bill from Lexus Guildford £221.96

If you would like to file it in the chance of someone holding a most expensive puncture repair competition, then we might be in with a chance.

p.s. I have been informed that my car is subject to a recall to modify the valve springs (i've booked the car in for a service at the same time). Please tell me that this work doesn't involve removing the wheels!!

Rant over, Feeling Better, Customer Service at Guildford was exceptional. I am now going back to enjoy my Lexus.

Yours in the Pursuit of Perfection

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links