Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

After getting my car through the MOT, I've decided to keep it, and gone Gold.

One thing though. Since I bought it in March, I have had a "Brake Wear" warning. I have checked the pad sensors and the front one was ok. I even pulled it out to look at the end. However, I did notice that the sensor was missing from the back wheel. So I bought another sensor and fitted that. Still "Brake Wear" shows. I reckon there must be a break (no pun) further back in the wiring, but I couldn't see anything.

My question is, could I take the car to Lexus and have this warning disabled as I am fed up with seeing it for no reason now.

Thanks

Mike

Frustratingly I know .................. my brake wear dash light showed up for ages until it went to have new front pads .......... loadsa life left in the pads BUT clearly Lexus likes to give plenty of notice. Changed the pads and the light vanished ok. Until the rear pads needed the same and again loadsa meat left on them before the change................ but again, new pads and the light vanished.

On my earlier LS400 the brake wear light came on twice for the same offside3 rear stop lamp bulb .......... poor connection. Jiggled the bulb and the warning light vanished ........ the original bulb lasted for nigh on 190,000 miles !

Malc

I had this and on inspection found that the sensor had melted and was an open circuit. I just cut off the damaged sensor, twisted the wires together and taped it up. No more warnings and manually inspect the pads every so often, or not so often as I avoid using the brakes at all costs anyway.

Today, as the weather was nice, I decided to have a proper look at this.

I got my meter out and checked the front sensor for continuity, there was none. I inspected the end of the sensor and saw what, I'm hoping you can see in the images below. It looks like the side of the sensor has worn. If you look, you can see that the sensor has a fat side and a flush side. I think the person the fitted the pads must have fitted the sensor the wrong way round.

I cut the end off, shorted the wires together and hey presto, no more "brake wear". After 7 months of this flashing on the dash, when I finally got round to looking at it properly, it took about 30mins from start to finish, and that included jacking the rear of the car up too to replace that sensor.

Thanks for all your advice.

sensor2.jpg

sensor1.jpg

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links