Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Daughter rang me shortly after setting off. She recently got a Rav 4 and although I bought her winter tyres she hasn't been bothered to fit them yet. She said Dad there's something wrong with the brakes they are not stopping me, and they are making a funny knocking noise (her previous car was an old Corsa without ABS), and they've done it all the way down the drive, down the hill in the village and on the roundabout. I'll explain to her tonight, but the point of this story is that I did the same journey in the LS430 a few minutes later and my ABS did not cut in once. I've got nankang winter tyres fitted at £54 each. Best coupla hundred quid I've ever spent I reckon.

Mike

The difference is detailed in this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8151547/Winter-tyres-are-they-worth-it.html

Interesting stuff.

PS. my wifes Landrover Disco was fitted with normal road tyres through last winters snow. As soon as you took your foot off the accelerater it was no better than the LS. If you touched the brakes you might as well have been on those skies you were trying to get into your boot earlier.

That's a great price you've paid Mike. I've just spent £311 for a set of winter tyres for my LS430 - Nexen, whoever they are.

It started snowing heavily an hour or so before I was due to leave for the tyre place and the old tyres were next to useless, couldn't get it going, couldn't get it to stop, couldn't turn corners. The transformation on winters is fantastic, you can drive with confidence knowing that you have a huge amount of grip beneath you. I'll be driving it to Switzerland early next year so it will be interesting to see if it copes as well as my old Peugeot 406 V6 which was absolutely unstoppable on winter tyres around the ski resorts.

Daughter rang me shortly after setting off. She recently got a Rav 4 and although I bought her winter tyres she hasn't been bothered to fit them yet. She said Dad there's something wrong with the brakes they are not stopping me, and they are making a funny knocking noise (her previous car was an old Corsa without ABS), and they've done it all the way down the drive, down the hill in the village and on the roundabout. I'll explain to her tonight, but the point of this story is that I did the same journey in the LS430 a few minutes later and my ABS did not cut in once. I've got nankang winter tyres fitted at £54 each. Best coupla hundred quid I've ever spent I reckon.

Mike

Igot some vredstein winter tyres fitted last week on my LS400 last week - used them in anger for the first time today in several inches of snow up and down some very steep inclines - absolutely amazing and even better than my wifes ML320 with four wheel drive (but on standard tyres)

Mike

Igot some vredstein winter tyres fitted last week on my LS400 last week - used them in anger for the first time today in several inches of snow up and down some very steep inclines - absolutely amazing and even better than my wifes ML320 with four wheel drive (but on standard tyres)

Hi Nick,

Having put Vredstein winter tyres on my LS400 and had such wonderful results could you tell me:

which ones did you get?

did you put them on all fours?

Best wishes,

Looking on a coupleof internet sites i cannot find one that has winter tyres that fit the LS. Im searching 225/60 16.

taxing the LS tomorrow and if the rover sells at the weekend i was thinking of fitting winter tyres.

Mike...where did you get them from. and at £54.????

got them last winter at mytyres.co.uk but I see they have gone up to about £80 this year. That's some inflation !

If you buy off the internet you need to talk to a local fitter first - they should charge about £30 for fitting and balancing (in total). And you can specify getting them delivered direct to the fitter

Regards

Mike

Mike

Hi Nick,

Having put Vredstein winter tyres on my LS400 and had such wonderful results could you tell me:

which ones did you get?

did you put them on all fours?

Hi - not sure - the dealer supplied them - they went straight on to my existing wheels (225/60/16). Cost was £526. THey have been even better this week - got back to the train station after three days away this week and there was about very deep snow in the car park and on the surrounding roads - car started at got through it all no problem - they are simply sensational. Yes put them on all four corners.

Best wishes,

I have just posted the following in another thread

"I had a nightmare journey to Dore near Sheffield on Friday. Once I approached North East Derbyshire the roads were littered with abondoned cars and worse still, pedestrians walking on the single track that was the "road." The car was like a sledge. Ended up with the ABS light on and eventually getting stuck half a mile from destination. Ordinary tyres. Would have had my teeth extracted without anesthetic to have had some footedness let alone sure footedness.

However the purpose of posting is to say that on Saturday I was listening to Radio 4 and heard a feature on winter tyres and motor insurance. Logic would suggest that a safer tyre would be welcomed. Nope. One guy had his cover terminated on the spot. The article did interview a representative of the insurance industry who suggested that such action was not logical. However, all of us I'm sure, have tyres fitted and never give it a thought as to what, if any, impact this might have on our insurance. Igorance is unlikely to be bliss. If your insurer has this strange idea that winter tyres are a modification then, in the event of a claim, that policy could well be void.

Pain though it is, it seems telling the insurer is the only way to be certain that all is well."

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links