Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving My Car With No Oil...

Hello...

My name is Kathleen and I am new to this forum and still trying to find my way around... However, I do have an important issue at the moment... Can anyone help me please???

Last week, I took my Lexus IS 250 for an routine oil change at a local car dealership where I purchased the vehicle from just last year... I don't drive my vehicle much, since I work from home, however, I would guess between then and today I have driven "at least" 50 miles or more around town... A few days ago, on a rainy night, I thought I noticed a pool of oil near my car, but assumed it was from another car that was parked in my spot since mine just had an oil change... The following day, while driving, I smelled something burning, but thought it was the car in front of me... and just today, heard a faint ticking noise... My husband and I were on our way to go on a 100 mile trip today when I stopped to check the oil and noticed there was NO OIL ON THE DIPSTICK AT ALL... It was bone dry... We took it back to the dealer and he changed the oil filter, added oil and fixed the cracked "seal"... He then said that he took it for a ride and "all is okay" with the car... I am not so sure and kind of upset right now... Can anyone give me advices, opinions, etc... Very much appreciated...

difficult situation.

How much of oil you had to add? What surprises me, that you did not mention the oil light. It did not turn on?

I don't think that any engine would be capable to work 150 miles with no oil. I think there was some amount of oil, however low level of oil may mean low pressure in oil system and then it may happen that in some places oil will not get, or there will be lower amount of oil - specially I think of the cams. For me this is the place where it is more likely to have additional wear caused by low oil level and you can not diagnose/prove other than physically measure (open the top of engine)

Ticking noise may be the cams, it may be also hydraulic tensioner (if it is in the 250 engine - I don't know this engine), or it may be also anything else. :sick:

It is indeed difficult situation. I see two possibilities:

1. the oil light works fine, dipstick was dry but it was still enough for the engine, just the tensioner had not enough pressure (ticking), but if the engine sound is now fine, everything is OK and don't worry

2. the oil light/oil level sensor/oil pressure sensor is damaged and car was running 150 miles with lower level of oil than recommended by manufacturer and this may mean problems. Why electronic oil measurement did not work? Is the car still in the warranty? How is it possible that the seal cracked (did you mean the seal in the screw under the car for draining the oil?) - for me it looks like the garage did not follow the general instructions, which means always new seal when changing oil and following the tightening torques.

I briefly went through the instruction manual and I could not find the rule to check the oil before every drive. Doublecheck this and if it is not there, I would take further action with the garage.

It sounds like the mechanic who did the oil change damaged something or didn't do it right. Driving it and smelling burning and a "noise" suggests to me that some damage has been done.

I would write to the garage straight away showing your concerned asking for them to pay for an independant full examition of the engine to see what harm has been done and that you hold them fully responsible for the damage.

Best case is no permanent harm, worst case is you may need a new engine.

Don't delay, write to them now.

Dealers make mistakes, please write to them and ask for an engine inspection.

Last year my mother in law took her A-Class to Mercedes for its service. She picked the car up and drove it home to discover oil everywhere. The MB mechanics did not put the oil filler cap back on!

The garage picked the car up and checked it and said it was ok. My father in law wasn't pleased and insisted that with the car running with oil leaking out the engine would have suffered. He wrote to MB uk and they agreed to a full engine rebuild, seals, rings etc. The bill was over £5k.

Write to your local dealer and Lexus UK and explain that the engine in your car would have suffered due to the lack of attention by the Lexus mechanics. I think you should expect, at the very least, some sort of inspection.

EDIT: Do you purchase this car and have it's service performed at a Lexus dealer? If not then scrap the above with respect to contacting Lexus UK.

I agree with others,get a second opinion regarding possible engine damage,although the engine appears OK at the moment there is always a possibility of damage to bearings which could now fail prematurely.

The failed seal sounds like it could be the oil filter rubber seal, happened to me once I removed the old filter and failed to notice the old seal was left on the filter mount, fitted the new filter and started the engine only to see all the oil pumped out all over the driveway.

I wouldn't have expected a professional outfit to do this, however.

I see you are from the USA (the UK may be different) so take what ever action you need to with the garage that did the work but make sure they receive a written complaint informing them of your proposed intentions.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links