Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cleaning Pas Fluid From An Alternator?

My alternator has been basting in PAS for the 2 years I've had it, and it was like that before I bought it.

I don't think it's a problem. The electrical gubins in the transmisson is quite happy to be immersed in similar fluid. I guess it might not be the best on the slip rings, but alternators do fail occasionally, my point is, just because a dead alternator is drenched in PAS fluid, doenn't prove that was the cause of the failure.

Has anyone done this. My alternator must be soaked in the stuf and id like to clean it out. But the only thing i can think of is Gunk and surely that will not be good.

Has anyone done this. My alternator must be soaked in the stuf and id like to clean it out. But the only thing i can think of is Gunk and surely that will not be good.

Hi

If the alternator is performing ok, I would be tempted to leave it for now.

If it fails or its appearance really has got the better of you then you should remove it from the car and take it apart with a view to replacing the brushes. I can't remember the stuff I used in the past - some long-winded name for an industrial solvent with a rapid evaporation rate. (Something like dextrochloride????). If I was going to do it today I would most likely use meths and a nail/toothbrush and finish off by blowing it with compressed air.

If you try and clean it on the car, muck will get inside it and you will still have to take it apart. By all means gunk the outside of the case but definately leave the inside to meths or even WD40.

Hi

If the alternator is performing ok, I would be tempted to leave it for now.

If it fails or its appearance really has got the better of you then you should remove it from the car and take it apart with a view to replacing the brushes. I can't remember the stuff I used in the past - some long-winded name for an industrial solvent with a rapid evaporation rate. (Something like dextrochloride????). If I was going to do it today I would most likely use meths and a nail/toothbrush and finish off by blowing it with compressed air.

If you try and clean it on the car, muck will get inside it and you will still have to take it apart. By all means gunk the outside of the case but definately leave the inside to meths or even WD40.

The reason i want to take it off and clean it out is that 2 years ago this week my alternator failed. When i took it off it was full of PAS fluid. I fitted a new one but that failed within a few months. I had a friendly mechanic fit the second replacement (my shoulders were knackered at the time) and the first thing he said to me when i went to collect theh car was "it was full of PSA fluid". He had a sort of grimmis on his face.

The PAS has leaked again over the last couple of weeks so i thought id take it off and clean it out over christmas: when ive stopped the leak.

If you can get some cheap, wash it with IPA [isopropyl alcohol] some times called isopropanol

This is a clean solvent,leaving little or no residue and won't melt anything plastic.

Blow it clean with an airline after to be sure it all evaporated,before use.

TRY TOO KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE BEARINGS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, YOU DON'T WANT TO WASH THE LUBRICANTS OUT!

Am I right in thinking that the MKs I & II are more prone to alternator issues caused by PAS fluid? Or is it wishful thinking on my part.

Mine has always leaked, even after repair, but, touch wood, hitherto no alternator issues. Just as well really as daughter's MK3 Vauxhall Astray eats an alternator and Battery every year.

Steve, if you have fixed it and its still leaking you could have the same problem i have just discovered.

RAn teh LS into the workshop. removed the air filter housing to get better access. Its not leaking from the pump as suspected. the pipes are leaking as they pass through the front pannel to the cooling pipes behind the bumper. Pipes are dry under the bonnet and running in fluid behind theh bumper.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links