Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1981 Soarer...

Nate

Hi, ive just sold my R31 Skyline, and have purchased a toyota soarer 1981. It is a 5MGEU motor which is a 2.8L DOHC EFi engine.. and would like to know of some mods to give it a bit more grunt. I know of the usual mods, but anything would be most helpful, thankyou. Also, information to whether the 7MGTE turbo ecu and injectors fit or sizes would be great, as i am looking at turboing it after the engine is rebuilt.

lol, yea baby! 1981-86 was the 1st generation soarer, then came the 2nd generation 86-89 ithink, then came the current looking generation.. (3rd gen) soarer. Anyone know of places of info for these earlier models?

• 8 months later...

Hey, Hey, Back off on the old Soares, this is a real soft spot with me, got an 87 model myself (generation 2)

Anyway Nate, with your engine options, the 7M-GTE manifolds and injectors will most likely not bolt up to the 5M engine, plus the CT-26 Turbo found on the 7M engines are all getting tired at this age and will undoubtally need rebuilding. Also the standard ECU on the 5M will not take to boosting well as all the fuel maps will be thrown out.

Allthough I have seen some tough turbocharged 5M engines in Japan, your best option is not to waste your money on it, a much better option would be a compleat engine transplant, either the 3 litre 7M-GTE or the more reliable 2 litre 1G-GTE. At 210hp standard from the little 1G, it makes a very cheap and easy way to get your Soarer doing mid 14 sec passes, trust me ive got one!

PS where are you?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links