Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Head Lights (Xenon) Will Not Go Off !

Hi,

I have read some of the forum posts on this site, and my problem is this; when I turn my ignition off my headlights come on! they are the Xenon type (they were fitted with the car and are factory fit).

When the engine is running everything is fine but as soon as the ignition is off the headlight lights remain on (no other lights at all just the two headlights) and there is nothing I can do about it. I have had the stalks checked and the relay switch checked, and no errors are reported on the diagnostics machine.

I have had to take the relay switch out in order to cut the power to the headlights so the Battery doesn't drain.

I have spoken to Lexus Liverpool, and they state that although this is not a common problem, they have dealt with it before with this model. They stated that the fuse board near to the drivers foot well needs replacing and the ECU. This is probably due to water ingress from the windscreen area, which has corroded the fuse board. I have had a brief look and there appears to be no water in the fuse board / foot well area, even after pulling all of the trim out and having a good look, even drying it for an hour or so with a hair dryer !

Why do both parts need to be changed? Can you change the fuse board and not the ECU, or do they have to be changed together ?

The quote today was as follows :

Block Junction (fuse board) L82731-53011 £287.52

ECU L89220-53420 £241.23

2 HOURS LABOUR £160.00

TOTAL £688.75

As you can imagine I couldn't believe the price, and had to be carried out of the garage !

Does anyone on this forum know of any hints / tips solutions etc or decent garages (in the Liverpool ish area) were this problem can be looked at for cheaper etc..

Thanks in advance for viewing this post etc....

Smith

Hi, despite what Lexus say ,the ingress of damp into the fuse box by the drivers footwell is a common problem ,which will cause the headlights to stay on .It usually stems from a badly refitted windscreen ; this headlight problem can be caused by other faults but the following course of action will cure it if this is the reason . 1st disconnect the Battery ,remove the trim and covers to expose the multipin connectors. Carefully disconnect the connectors and dry out the pins and sockets with a hair dryer .Also look for any ingress of water running down the wires from the area beneath the screen around the cable grommet.if this is visible the screen will need to be re fitted.Now for the most important point,before reconnecting the multiplugs coat the pins and sockets with an electrical grease NOT WD40;The best one I have found is called CONTRALUBE ;it is available in a small tube from Maplins or on E bay. this will seal against the ingress of water and ensure good electrical contacts .I have used this on many car and motorcycle applications including this headlamp problem on my Lexus last year ,when I posted the same advice . finally reconnect everything,refit the covers and reconnect the Battery, if you are lucky that will cure your problem ,repost to let us know how it goes as there are further steps you can take if this does not cure it

please laugh out loud if i'm being thick, but if the ecu and fuse board seem fine, can it not just be down to just a fuse?

Wouldn't a blown fuse stop the lights from coming on at all rather than keeping them lit permanently??? :winky:

Cheers

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

I appear to have the same problem. I have an is200 and the lights are fine when the engine is running. However when I turn off the ignition, the lights come on and stay on. I always leave the switch on auto. Turning the switch to the off position does not solve the problem. I have read the solution posted here but don't have a clue when you talk about removing panels and possibly refitting the screen. This problem only started 24 hours ago. I was called out at work this afternoon because my alarm was going off. By the time I got there the Battery was flat. I also noticed that every time I park up, there is a rubbery smell coming from the driver's side. Please help!

PS: pics will help as I'm a complete novice when it comes to car electrics.

OK reading this post worries me abit lol, regarding the damp getting in.......is it usually on cars that had windscreens replaced or would it happen with original windscreen ? i read somehwere its badly fitted/designed glass windscreen that can be a problem as its by Pilkington brand sometimes Autoglass asuch uses rather than when OEM Toyota/Lexus ones should be used...

Hi as I previously posted this usually stems from a badly fitted replacement screen, this was the case with me ,but there was only a very small amount of moisture present,I think some cases happened during the bad snow we had ;when it was brought into the footwell on shoes and some of the damp condensed on the connectors during the cold evenings when the car interior cooled . If the method I have posted is followed it will cure the fault and it will not return if the leak is cured .If the lights remain on then the fault lies elsewhere-repost and further advice can be given . my advice for Joneb is to give the job to a local auto electrician if you are not confident in tackling it; he will be used to these types of problems

Dave

I haven't come across a car with an original windscreen that it has happened on - but several car where the windscreen has been replaced. This is the common cause, and it's an expensive fix - it's usually the headlight relay that goes though not the ECU?

I haven't come across a car with an original windscreen that it has happened on - but several car where the windscreen has been replaced. This is the common cause, and it's an expensive fix - it's usually the headlight relay that goes though not the ECU?

Its to do with auto windscreen people using Pilkington brand isnt it? as i read the quality/fit isnt as good as oem lexus some even went back to lexus or autoglass as such and asked to retify problem by changing to oem lexus part to cure the problem of leaking.

Yes i would of thought its the headlight relay goes, if the ECU goes would other features stopp working/become faulty too ??

Its to do with auto windscreen people using Pilkington brand isnt it? as i read the quality/fit isnt as good as oem lexus some even went back to lexus or autoglass as such and asked to retify problem by changing to oem lexus part to cure the problem of leaking.

Yes i would of thought its the headlight relay goes, if the ECU goes would other features stopp working/become faulty too ??

Haven't heard anything about the brand of the windscreen to be honest but it could be a factor. Generally the problem is them not sealing the bottom of the screen well enough, but a poor fit could also be the reason.

This happened to me last week and i have the original windscreen, with Japan at the top of the screen.

I discovered the rubber, at the drivers side bottom corner, had perished, bits had come away and their was a lot of cr4p gathered under the rubber moulding. I did excactly what true blue said, then bought some windscreen bonding stuff from Halfrauds, cleaned out all the gung, and sealed the area that had perished..

Iv'e had the car washed and it's been pouring down since, and it's still ok.

Joneb- i'm not very mechanically minded but this is NOT hard to do mate. Just take your time. You only need to take off the cover that surrounds your fuse box There are 3 screws under the steering column which takes the under cover off, then where your accelerator pedal is, their is a big plastic bolt that should just screw off by hand. Once you start, you'll see how to get it off. It may not seem wet or damp but this is defo your problem. Just disconnect each connector and give them a wipe, i got into them with cotton buds, then get the hair dryer onto them. JUST DO IT MATE you'll be fine.

Dont forget to check round about your screen to see where the water is coming in, if you dont see to this then it will just keep happening.

Hope this helps and good luck.

This happened to me last week and i have the original windscreen, with Japan at the top of the screen.

I discovered the rubber, at the drivers side bottom corner, had perished, bits had come away and their was a lot of cr4p gathered under the rubber moulding. I did excactly what true blue said, then bought some windscreen bonding stuff from Halfrauds, cleaned out all the gung, and sealed the area that had perished..

Iv'e had the car washed and it's been pouring down since, and it's still ok.

Joneb- i'm not very mechanically minded but this is NOT hard to do mate. Just take your time. You only need to take off the cover that surrounds your fuse box There are 3 screws under the steering column which takes the under cover off, then where your accelerator pedal is, their is a big plastic bolt that should just screw off by hand. Once you start, you'll see how to get it off. It may not seem wet or damp but this is defo your problem. Just disconnect each connector and give them a wipe, i got into them with cotton buds, then get the hair dryer onto them. JUST DO IT MATE you'll be fine.

Dont forget to check round about your screen to see where the water is coming in, if you dont see to this then it will just keep happening.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you all for your posts, I managed to remove the fuse box cover near the pedal, didn't see any moisture, refitted the cover, the problem has not happened for 5 days now (been driving it every day since the 1st occurence). I will get the hair dryer out this weekend and give it a go. Will let you know how I get on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links