Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello, I currently have an RX400h which I think is great but with the price of fuel rising at the rate it has been and the fact that I do between 25-30k miles per year I am thinking of going back to the IS model. The model I have looked at is the IS200D Advance, I have been told by the dealer that it has a newer engine than my old IS220D (06 model) and it is returning on average high 40's (mpg). I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this new model and also out of a full tank of fuel how many miles should I be expected to get. many thanks,

• 1 year later...

My Missus purchased a 8 month old 200d advance with 10k on the clock in december11 and i would agree with what has been posted over the years by the 220d drivers.

You hear branded around that the is200d has a new engine but that is not true, they have re-engineered the old engine by re-designing the combustion chamber, changed injectors and changed the turbo i believe which gives the car more torque. they have also lowered the bhp to 150 from 180 to bring the car to lower EU levels thus bringing vehicale tax down to 115 a year.

I personally like the car, it comes with every gaget conceivable, dont have a major issue with rear legroom and i am 6ft2 and find it really comfortable but gearing of the car is awful. I fiind 6th gear useless unless driving over 90mph which is near never and the car struggles to coast round small junctions in second gear which you can with most pertol cars, you have to drop down to 1st.

Regarding the mpg. I have named my missus lead foot as she drives like she has one which is not the best for the 200d, (she moved from a is200 pertol) round town in traffic communte she is getting 28-32mpg. The other day she drove on a 220mile trip mostly motorway up to Manchester and she said the computer read she was got an average of 38mpg for the whole trip which i think is pretty shocking however i do blame some of this on her driving style and heavy foot.

If i drive the car i have got 40-45mpog on the motorway.

She is going back to manchester so i am going to use some advice from this forum for the 220d and to test keeping out of 6th gear and trying to use crusie control and i will update you all.

I have also ready on the forum that people mentioning resetting the ECU by disconnecting the Battery for 24hrs. I may give that a go if after this journey the MPG is still bad. Failing that i will we will sell the car next year in favour of a more economical petrol. Other points to note is that currently temperatures are in the 0-1 degrees so not ideal for diesel and also that if you compare the price of this car to a bmw or audi, we were happy to take a hit on mpg in favour of a more comfortable, more highly specified car that looks good. It just would be good to get late 30's mpg around town and late 40's on the motorway.

I have to agree with Ian in regards MPG, I have a 200d as a courtesy car as my 220d is having a replacment engine fitted under warranty. Currently I have been commuting to Eastbourne on a Job from Poole and I am averaging 38-40 MPG. Around town I am getting around 26 MPG which is not much better than my 220d, but to be fair, I never brought my Lexus to get high MPG, if that was the case, I would of brought a, dare I say it, a BMW (sorry for swearing) the way you need to look at it IMHO is that if you owned a lexus for say 3 years and compared it to a B*W ownership for the same time period, the cost would pretty much come out the same but you would have a better spec car for you for the duration of ownership.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to me earlier post. I asked my missus on a trip to Manchester last week which is 230 miles from our house to keep out of 6th gear unless doing over 90 which is unlikely and to use cruise control on motorway and she said with some minor traffic and about 30 miles local road driving in the journey that she averaged 41MPG and roughly the same for the return journey.

Quite crazy if you think that the car is not even returning the urban figures on the motorway.

I understand the MPG tests are done on a rolling road in a room that is 18 degrees (64f) starting the car from cold although 18 is not really cold and it is one journey without start/stop but you would think that a car with a book urban figure of 44mpg that you would get more than 41 on the motorway.

I will write a letter to lexus head office and ask how they accomplished the combined figure of 55.4mpg because you do feel a little let down by getting quite a lot less than specified.

Funny thing is my friend drives a newish ford transit van and gets better MPG and he drives it hard.

Yea your most probably right.

We are happy with the car, after all her old car which i have inherited is an IS200 sport and you only get 20mpg round town but still a great drive after covering 106k miles. If i had the money i would of bought a 450h and hoping they will bring out a 250h in the future

Think you may have indicated what may well replace the IS series at the next make over time?!

I too had an IS200 Sport that gave around 24mpg on my run to work. Currently (on the same run exactly) I'm getting 39.4 with the IS220d.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an is220 and drive mostly A-roads and town. I average about 37-40mpg.

My BMW 320d gets 47mpg on the sme journey.

There's no doubt thelexus struggles to achieve the book figures but I agree that the ride makes up for the poorer economy.

I still think the Lexus feels a more special car to drive over the BMW and for that reason I can live with the lower mpg.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links