Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diagnotic Scanner

donmar

Can anyone tell me if they have bought a diagnostic scanner T605 with OBD 11 and CANBUS for all Toyota and LEXUS, its states that it is for GS300 mk2 but I cant get it to work in the port slot just below steering wheel, just would like to know if anyone else as got one or used one any advice welcome.

cheers

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I am awaiting responses too mate, as I would like to know.

mike213735 bought a scanner round a few weeks ago which I tried. That didn't work on my '99 mk2. I've no idea what scanner it was so maybe PM him and ask.

Hi mate, is it the same scanner he as got ? I got this one about 6 moths back but only just tried it, the manuel states it for LEXUS and my model I paid £169, I was just wanted to know if anyone else had bought one of these.

May do beter putting this topic under GS300

Hi mate, is it the same scanner he as got ? I got this one about 6 moths back but only just tried it, the manuel states it for LEXUS and my model I paid £169, I was just wanted to know if anyone else had bought one of these.

May do beter putting this topic under GS300

I've no idea which scanner it was mate. Best bet is to PM him and ask, If it is the same one then at least you'll know it was tried on another early mk2 GS and didn't work. I seem to remember Maneesh on here having all kinds of trouble trying to find a scanner that worked on an early mk2, but can't remember if he ever found one or not. He doesn't frequent here anymore since writing off his mk2 Sport and changing marquee to Honda I think it was. But again, a PM to him might bring him back for an answer.

Hi all,

I bought one of these.

I actually bought it to read and reset the codes on my 2000 Ford Explorer, which it did a treat.

I then decided to sell the Ex and keep the Lexus, and found that the scanner wouldn't work on my '98 LS. After visiting TigerFish and trying it on his GS, I figured that the reason it didn't work is because it doesn't support the CanBus protocol. I have since then looked at getting a CanBus compatible scanner, but Don's post here may cast a different light on that.

Don, what does your scanner say when you try to connect?

Thanks

Mike

Cheers mike, not sure at mo what it says on it but i will plug it in tomorrow and let you know what it says, and yes i did plug in with ingnition off and then turned on :yahoo: i know i have tried it with canbus and with out canbus, I got it off e bay its a memo scan toyota/lexus T605 and there are a few companies on there selling them, before i ordered it i asked them if it was ok on mk2 and he said it works on all lexus :sad: but i will let you know tomorrow what it says on screen.

many thanks mike

don

Don,

That's exactly what my non Canbus scanner does. That stinks of the protocol not being supported. I was sure that Lexus are CanBus compliant, but with every post from you, I am beginning to doubt it more and more.

I may look at investing / chucking £25 away and getting one of these.

As you can see, it supports CAN, VPW, PMW, ISO & KWP2000 protocols.

If I do, I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks

Mike

Be careful Mike, that ad does specifically say it works on US cars from 96, and European and Asian cars from 2001. I suspect Lexus/Toyota just didn't adopt the full OBDII specification on the earlier cars, as by law they didn't have to, and that's why they don't work. Would be cool to find one that does work though.

Be careful Mike, that ad does specifically say it works on US cars from 96, and European and Asian cars from 2001. I suspect Lexus/Toyota just didn't adopt the full OBDII specification on the earlier cars, as by law they didn't have to, and that's why they don't work. Would be cool to find one that does work though.

Rick,

I gave Lexus the benefit of the doubt and figured they would be ahead of the rest of the world :) I wondered if he would honour the 14 day money back guarantee if it didn't work on my car. I might give him a call because as you said, it would be nice to find one that does work :)

The "US cars from 96, and European and Asian cars from 2001" statement is a standard statement for OBDII compliance. My Ford Explorer (I know, you could argue that's American) was a 2000 model and was OBDII compliant.

I think this may drag on for sometime.

Don - as far as I am aware, the port is not fused, but you could always stick a meter on it and make sure you have 12 volts at pin 16?

Thanks

Mike

well there must be power to the port as when i left scanner switched on and unpluged the port the scanner went off, so there is power to the port, surely as this scanner is canbus and none canbus it should work as long as its got 16 pin port OBD11, or is it a faulty OBD11 cable? as i have phoned another company on e bay which is selling the same scanner and they also said it will work on the mk2, so i think its thinking cap time, what do you guys think :hehe:

well how come when i had a chap come out last year to do a diagnostic when i was having trouble with my abs ring, when i phoned him and asked him if he could do mk2 he said as long as its a 16 pin OBD11 he can and it was only a small handheld scanner, but when he came he did take out the bridge of the diagnotic port under bonnet and i have also tried that?

well how come when i had a chap come out last year to do a diagnostic when i was having trouble with my abs ring, when i phoned him and asked him if he could do mk2 he said as long as its a 16 pin OBD11 he can and it was only a small handheld scanner, but when he came he did take out the bridge of the diagnotic port under bonnet and i have also tried that?

Sorry, I'm not saying they can't be read, as Lexus read them, but when it comes to "cheap" DIY scanners, there seems to be a problem. From 2001, it was the law that they had to be fully compliant in Europe, so a 2001 mk2 will work on the the scanners you have tried, it is the pre 2001 mk2's that are the problem.

Call the chap who came out and ask for the make and model of his scanner ;)

well should be going over birmingham today but Battery flat? hopefully it is the Battery but y i didnt use it yesterday only thing i did was trying out the scanner and the Battery is only 2 years old and had no problem upto now, hope it not this scanner not dammaged anything but cant see that. have put it on charge and try it in an hour :tomato:

Well update after hour and half its ok, starts ok but will leave it now a few hours more thank god for that must have been low after winter running on all electrics :lol:

will let you all no about scanner once i have done a few more tests and phone calls

I did read a post on here somewhere that one of the MAC ET's does work with a Lexus. The only thing is, I can't see why that would work over any other scanner that is CanBus compliant and states it will work on the Lex, like Don's.

I may speak to the chap on eBay and ask if I can take advantage of the 14 money back gaurantee if it doesn't work with my cay? That's the only way to be sure.....try before you buy :)

Thanks

Mike

There are lots of scanners that work on "Lexus". It doesn't seem to be a Lexus or can bus thing, it is an early mk2 GS (and LS's it would seem) and the fact that the compliance wasn't mandatory, so they didnt make it so. If we were in america, there would be even more Lexus that they would work on as their compliance kicked in 5 years earlier.

Don, if the guy who came out to you had a scanner that worked, why don't you just call him and ask what he used? I get the feeling it will be an expensive one, probably not economical for an occasional DIY code check, but either way it will give a lead to go on.

well just tried it on a is200 w reg, dont work just the same as mine faild toconnect, i have e mailed memoscan awaiting reply, and rick i will e mail you

Don

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links