Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Researching An Ls Purchase

Skoff

Firstly a big 'Hello!'

I have been lurking for a few days, and decided to register as you all seem like a mighty friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

I'm considering swapping my trusty old E39 530i Touring for a Mk IV LS400, or maybe a 430, though the air suspension and other complexities of the 430 is putting me off a bit.

So here I am doing my research.

I do about 100 miles a day commuting up and down the M5, plus a few family-taxi duties at the weekend, plus I have a TVR Cerbera for fun, so I am looking for the most comfort and relaxation in a straight line that I can find. I'd also like as much reliability as possible. Lexus seems the obvious answer.

My E39 has served me well, but has been pretty pricey to run, what with chocolate cooling system problems, auto box rebuild, air spring failure, and plenty of other little niggles, and to be honest I'm just a bit bored of it after nearly 50K miles.

My first Q. is for recommendations for independent Lexus servicing in the Bridgwater / Taunton area, there will be more, but I will post them in the model specific forums.

Hopefully I will be in a new-to-me LS soon enough and will be able to contribute to the community rather than just ask questions!

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a '98 MKIV LS400 with 214k on the clock.

On a recent run to Gatwick, I averaged 35.2mpg door to door (inc. return).

Around town, I get 17-19mpg, which I have recently checked with the litres vs. miles calculation as opposed to relying on the on board computer.

I am fairly new to Lexus myself, having only owned mine for 11 months, but I must say, it's much better than any of the 7 series BMW's I owned up until now, and I never thought I'd say that :)

Go for it. I will, hopefully, someday upgrade to a 430.

Thanks

Mike

Cheers Mike,

That's similar economy to my 530 on the motorway, though to be honest fuel costs aren't really my primary concern. I look at it from the point of view that fuel is only going to go up in price, so best enjoy the big engines now before it gets to be REALLY expensive.

I am certainly hoping for a step up from the 5 series in terms of comfort. I realise the Lexus will probably be less nimble on the twisty bits, but to be honest it will hardly ever see a corner anyway.

It's also great to hear about big mileages being the norm on these cars. It makes economic sense for me to buy an older car with high mileage for the sort of use I plan to give it, a newer low mileage car would be subject to crippling depreciation. With a £3-5K car there is only so far it can drop in value.

Hi you can pick up a good mark4 with sub 120,000 miles on it for under 2k now, If you are doing 100 miles a day go for an lpg conversion on it, Ive had mine 2 years now put 30k out of the 160k it has on it. comfort is beyond comparison reliability also. get the best mark4 you can find gas it & enjoy being pampered. ( they go like stink when you floor it aswell)

Lexus are not that expensive when it comes to servicing and parts compared to other prestige brands and the good thing is the reliability which is top class Japanese standard,so they don't go wrong very often.

Main consideration is a full,preferably Lexus,service history.

The DHP model may be more your style if moving from BMW but bear in mind these cars do weigh in at 2 tons!

Plenty of choice out there,one with your name on it.

Welcome to the LOC.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links