Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Scratch On Paintwork

Bobba77

Evening all, discovered a scratch in the paintwork on the rear off side arch its about an inch long and about 4 mill thick. Slightly annoying no idea how it happened anyway went to see a well known body shop up here in newcastle which has done previous cars I have had and also did the front wing when I bumped it last year. Anyway after he looked at it he said he wouldnt bother and that I should just live with it, dunno if i can very picky about these things. He said it wouldnt be worth it, as if he did do it he would have to take the bumper off the door etc etc. and it would cost near £400....... just for a little scratch............. :blink:

Cheers, just arranged an estimate. Any rough idea how much they charge though??

Haven't used them in several years, but it was about £80 for the repair we had done but that was a lot more than just a scratch so yours could be cheaper, or perhaps the same given a bit of inflation :)

Well he came today but said he wouldnt bother as it was that unnoticable, so im just going to touch it up a few times and t cut it in a bit. It would have been £100 if he did do it but it would have been too difficult to blend in. :mellow:

That's a shame, I know silver is a difficult colour to match perfectly.

Yeah, just lucky in a way that you can really see it unless you get within a few feet and start looking for it :whistling:

That's a shame, I know silver is a difficult colour to match perfectly.

Yeah, just lucky in a way that you can really see it unless you get within a few feet and start looking for it :whistling:

You could actually try a harsher cutting polish, once I had a scratch (not massive, but quite visible as my car is blue) - took it to the dealer and he brought out this 3M bottle and a cloth, 5 mins of polishing and it was gone!

To think I went in there to ask how much it would cost to get it sorted :hehe:

Not sure if it's the same for all colours,but my Lexus touch-up paint is water based,it's very easy to blend the paint into a scratch,just paint and then leave for a while, after which dampen the end cap and wipe across the scratch,do it a couple of times and you'll be surprised what you can hide !

Ive been layering up the paint over the scratch over the past few days with a fine brush, you cant see the scratch that much now and only at certain angles can you see the difference in colour. Eventually I'm going to try and use polishing clay to get rid of any excess and try and blend it in so i can laquer it....... hopefully....... :crybaby:

touch it up for a few days then mop it with a machine using G3 polish.

you wouldnt even remember where the scratch was!

Ta, isnt G3 used for getting scratches off plastics?? Used some on a mobile phone once I'm sure?? :unsure:

its the best polish for metal along with auto glym.

it can be used on plastic also & headlamps, even windows for a buff'

Okay thanks for that will give it a try, still layering up the paint at the mo.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links