Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering/suspension

MattyP

Hello chaps.

Im starting to get frustrated, i have had a knocking noise coming from the front for a few months now, after reading the forums I used my head and replaced the front shocks, no joy! next the front lower ball joints, and still no joy. Since replacing the ball joints it seems to have got worse, the knocking which im sure most of you have heard about seems to be only at lower speeds and whilst turning. Also since changing the ball joints, when ever i steer right or left, it seems to want to pull its self round a bit more and it can be pretty sudden/sharp sometimes, even wanting to do its when driving in a straight line. I defo lost confidence in driving my lexi at the moment, something doesn't feel right and i cant put my finger on it!

HELP ME! Lol.

Cheers guys matt

after changing the ball joints you might feel you have to steer the car back after a turn.

the new ball joints will need to slightly wear in a bit. they should be already greased from new.

dont forget to get the allignment done.

I'm in the same boat as you pal.

I did drivers side front lower ball joint and droplink at the weekend and its still knocking and its worse than before. I've got HKS coily's so don't think its those making the noise or it'd be more than on just one corner....at least thats my thinking.

To make matters worse, in splitting the ball joint, I tore the rubber on the track rod end so its lots all its grease.

Then I get in to drive it only to realise the steering wheel has to be about 2 inches left of centre to drive straight. Gonna replace the other side asap to hopefully straighten it up a bit before getting tracking done.

From my research, it could be so many things! Next up for me are the upper ball joints and gonna take a look at the roll bar bushings. Oh and replace the track rod end I wrecked :( plus get a better ball joint splitter!

Look at it this way mate, you're that much closer to fixing it by replacing the parts you've replaced.

CHIN UP, you are by no means alone!

Anti roll bar drop links are a fairly common cause of knocks and thuds, as are the arb bushes as mentioned above. Dry caliper slide pins as mentioned further up are also worth a check as they are cheap and easy to re-grease.

Cheers guys for your help so far.

I think i found the issue with the steering pulling! lol It would be the tyre wripped to shreds on the on both sides inside. WOOPS!! :blush: i guess thats what you get for not getting tracking done straight away, although i thought it all felt fine to begin with, its only been a few days. ah well alas i shall be a few hundred quid lighter tomorrow, new boots all round and get the allignment done. and i hopes it will be sorted.

But STILL the bloody knocking! i think its something we're all guna have to get use to. Love Hate relationship!! luckily more love.

Will post back after its back from the garage.

matt

Hi

not sure if it helps butI bought one of the first is250 and it makes a knocking noise when I turn / brake - turns out its a known problem and its the brakes rattling in the callipers - packing with grease or adding shims is a short term fix - its a known problem - my dealer reckons Lexus are working on a fix - and drove my car with a video camera to record what and when the knocking occurs - not heard anything since but just used to the noise now

True i think most of us suffer from the knocking as talked about in other

:P Well car just back from the garage, it feels like im driving a new car again!! back to lovin my lexus! BUT on the way back the F*@*?ng centre pipe fell off lol. so staright back to have new centre pipe. aint life a biatch.

Thanks again for all your help chaps!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links