Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Thinking Of Buying Is200

Jitc85

Hey Guys,

My names Jit, I'm new around here, and to Japanese cars! I'm currently looking to buy a new motor, potentially a Lexus IS200. I turned 25 in December, and want a new car! My pervious cars include, a VW Polo Mk4, BMW E36 316i Coupe, and currently a Mercedes-Benz W202 C240 Elegance. My budget is around £2,500 maximum.

Having looked at whats out there, the IS200 comes out on top of the rest in the mentioned price bracket. I don't want another Mercedes, Audi are too boring, I wouldn't mind a BMW E46, however £2,500 will buy me a poverty spec 318i SE (No thanks). This is were the IS200 comes in....., excellent equipment levels throughout the range, with heated and electric seats.

I've done a little bit of research on the IS200, and things are looking good. I'd ideally want a Sport, as they look nicer with the boot lip spoiler, rear tints and slightly lower ride height. However I wouldn't mind an SE either, but I'd prefer the Sport.

Engine wise, all I know is upfront there is a In-Line 6, 2.0 litre unit which produces 153BHP. That's all I know! What should I look out for when buying? Any common issues? When does the cambelt need replacing?

Also which gearbox do I go for? I've owned both a manual and automatic, however i understand the auto box in the IS200 is only a 4-speed. What is the auto box like? Does it get caught out when over taking? Whats it like on the motorway? As with the manual, I know this is a 6 speed and is slightly more economical.

Ahh economy, whats this car like on fuel? How many miles do you guys get from a full tank? I believe 30MPG is possible?? From my C240 I get 250miles maximum on a 55 litre fill up.

Sorry for all the questions, Im really serious about buying a IS200. Any help/advice on buying and things to look out for, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

well the tank holds 75lrts and i get 220-260 miles...but it depends on how you drive and were you drive im mostly town

timing belt 60k

dont go auto.....sports dont come in an auto..

just the usual mate,ball joints go also sticking calipers but ive had mine for 3 years and nothings went wrong yet..

ive had mine a few months now, nothing gone wrong with it at all, but mines done 56k for your price range you will be looking around the 100k mark. I get about 25mpg and i dont drive it fast at all tbh so they aint the best of fuel but it is a big car to pull about. you do get alot for your money though :)

The Sport has an LSD. 25mpg in town, 35 on long motorway (not hanging about). Superb build quality and reliability. If serviced properly don't worry about high mileage. Should be plenty around with current petrol prices. Going up at least 5p soon.

IS200- very nice car.

Mine is 10 years old with 143k on the clock and its been faultless- only running costs you'll have on one of these are the consumables- brakes, tyres, servicing etc.

Sadly my IS200 ownership comes to an end on Saturday, as I've gone and bought a Mercedes C220cdi Sport auto- I need something that has better mpg- if you are doing big miles, then an IS200 will be costly to run.

Hi and welcome to LOC :)

I've done a little bit of research on the IS200, and things are looking good. I'd ideally want a Sport, as they look nicer with the boot lip spoiler, rear tints and slightly lower ride height. However I wouldn't mind an SE either, but I'd prefer the Sport.

Engine wise, all I know is upfront there is a In-Line 6, 2.0 litre unit which produces 153BHP. That's all I know! What should I look out for when buying? Any common issues? When does the cambelt need replacing?

There aren't really many issues as others have said, cambelt is 60k or 6 years.

The CD players are prone to failure, so check it's working or factor in the cost of replacement when buying the car.

Also which gearbox do I go for? I've owned both a manual and automatic, however i understand the auto box in the IS200 is only a 4-speed. What is the auto box like? Does it get caught out when over taking? Whats it like on the motorway? As with the manual, I know this is a 6 speed and is slightly more economical.

Ahh economy, whats this car like on fuel? How many miles do you guys get from a full tank? I believe 30MPG is possible?? From my C240 I get 250miles maximum on a 55 litre fill up.

As already mentioned the Sport is only a manual, so if you want a Sport you can't have an auto. I have an auto and it's fine, the gearbox is a good one and it's happy to kick down when required, changes are smooth and there's no lag.

However the auto is worse on fuel, and is a fair bit slower than the manual, so I'd recommend testing both if you are unsure and see which you prefer. I average about 23-24mpg out of my auto, getting any better out of it would require some careful driving.

I've had my IS200 SE Auto almost 6 years now since it was just 3 years old. Touching wood as I write this (no lewd comments!) I haven't had 1 single problem with it! Apart from general wear and tear and routine servicing it's been a pleasure to own. I can't bring myself to sell/part ex it as to replace it like for like but newer wouldn't be cheap. And after I've spent so much in it I'd rather keep it anyway.

It is looking a little dated in my opinion but if kept clean and fresh can still look better than some new models.

If you're after a car that's quick off the mark then you won't find it in the 200. It's a cruiser and on long motorway journeys you'll find out what it was built for. A 0-60 motor it is not, I find it sluggish and heavy at times. If you want to burn about the place you'll have to work it hard, not good for your car and not good for fuel consumption!

Talking of fuel consumption you will find yourself not wanting to put your foot down anyway. It is juicy indeed and if you have a heavy right foot you'll end up with a light wallet!!

Overall I would certainly recommend the IS200, and I would recommend the auto too. Its simple to add the few differences to the SE that the Sport has. Then you end up with the best of both worlds! It's a great auto box!

At the prices they go for now I'd certainly even buy another. But I would go for the IS300 (LE)

Good luck with your search, there are plenty around so make sure you find the right one!

Hey Guys,

My names Jit, I'm new around here, and to Japanese cars! I'm currently looking to buy a new motor, potentially a Lexus IS200. I turned 25 in December, and want a new car! My pervious cars include, a VW Polo Mk4, BMW E36 316i Coupe, and currently a Mercedes-Benz W202 C240 Elegance. My budget is around £2,500 maximum.

Having looked at whats out there, the IS200 comes out on top of the rest in the mentioned price bracket. I don't want another Mercedes, Audi are too boring, I wouldn't mind a BMW E46, however £2,500 will buy me a poverty spec 318i SE (No thanks). This is were the IS200 comes in....., excellent equipment levels throughout the range, with heated and electric seats.

Sorry for all the questions, Im really serious about buying a IS200. Any help/advice on buying and things to look out for, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I just bought an RX300

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links