Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

Hope you can advise.

I have the 22D on a 57 plate 55000 miles

When I changed from 1st to 2nd, there is a rattle noise from the gearstick. Its seems to be the lever bit which is lifted to engage into reverse.

If I place my fingers on the lever and hold it firmly when changing from 1st to 2nd it this seems to stop the noise.

Is there a part worn or is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Bob

I guess it is one of those questions for which you will get help if either

1. some one had this porblem as well and was possible to fix it

2. some one is a mechanic and remembers how he/she fixed it

otherwise will be difficult to help you in here

The leather(ish) gaiter has a metal press stud on it. Mine makes a chattering noise when reversing up my driveway as it rattles onto the plastic or metal parts on the lever.

Thanks chuckie

I think thats the same noise. Suppose I will have to get use to it.

I think the problem is that there is excessive play in the gear linkage. When I get some time and weather, I will inspect and let you know if there is the possibility of changing bushes etc to make it more taught. I've been very dissapointed by the Lexus, although I still think it looks marvelous!

• 1 month later...

If thats the only noise you get then you are doing well! welcome to the appaling world of IS manual gearbox's. whoever was in charge of selecting the manual box from the Toyota range to be used in the Lexus should never be allowed near a car plant again. I believe that it originates from a Toyota Van/Truck. Mine has had all sorts of mods and repairs, and is noisy and horrible to use, and unfortunately is not uncommon. I wonder why they no-longer have a manual in the range?

It's an AISIN AY6 Box and I wonder if we are suffering from the release bearing shaft problem. I will investigate when I have a spare afternoon, but in the meantime I have adjusted out the freeplay from the clutch master cylinder (who cares if you can feel the vibrations) and lowered my pedal height so that it is easier to use as one of the problems is the respective pedal heights of the clutch (high), brake (medium) and accelerator (low). This, along with the RWD offset position, inhibits ease of use in my opinion. The warm weather has certainly helped so I will replace the box and diff fluid for some thinner GL4 stuff too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah ha! I had a look at my lever the other day - there leather gaiter has been removed at some point and not put back on correctly as it now rests on the plastic which causes the rattle. Undo the stud and pull the gaiter down until you can re-fasten the stud so that it is resting on the foam surround. If you are feeling brave then take off the plastic covers and then undo the four bolts which hold the metal plate over the rubber gaiters (there are 2 of them, one on top of the other!). No clean the ball and socket and spray some silicon oil before re-greasing. This has made my gear lever much lighter and smoother. There is still too much lateral play in the lever but that is an under the car job deferred to another day!

NOTE: The thick metal plate which is exposed after removing the rubber gaiters is the lever stop for selecting 1st and 2nd gear. You can adjust this too if you are brave! Smear some grease on it though!

post-35264-0-57468600-1312984327.jpg

post-35264-0-86639300-1312984341.jpg

Lexus made two major mistakes with the second generation IS series, the first being the introduction of a diesel model, and the second was to offer a manual gearbox as an option.:tomato:

Got an Audi A4 B7 2007 S line 2.0 TDI 170hp. Gearbox is a dream, engine is very flexible and aggressive, suspension is firm but a little hard compare with Lexus because of S line, fuel consumption is way better, comfortable. That's all i can say for now. Oh, in Germany where i bought the car, i hit 240km/h on autobahn

post-36875-0-26295500-1313075003.jpgpost-36875-0-90792500-1313075010.jpg

post-36875-0-63866100-1313075028.jpg

So what...

240km/h isn´t also a problem for a IS220d, i´ve hit 250km/h with wheel dimension 225R17 and 260km/h with a tuning-box. And a 140hp-Audi isn´t faster on the road in real life... and hav´nt got a chance on german autobahn.

But in the Audi you have much more noise from road and engine, but the fuel consumption is realy worse... ca. 0,5-1l/100km more then Audi.

Now my IS220d has ca. 70.000 miles on his meter...with comsumption of 47 - 37,5mpg...

My last car was a VW PASSAT TDI with ca. 120.000 miles on the meter...and often i go by curent Audi TDI...

• 2 weeks later...

240km/h isn´t also a problem for a IS220d, i´ve hit 250km/h with wheel dimension 225R17 and 260km/h with a tuning-box. => Well, you right but still won't change the fact. More important is how fast you get there. I don't like to keep a diesel engine on 4500rpm for 15 mins to get there.

But in the Audi you have much more noise from road and engine, but the fuel consumption is realy worse... ca. 0,5-1l/100km more then Audi. => Obviously, Audi is noisier, is the 170hp and S-line suspension. Audi's 2.0 liter engines were always more noisier that 1.9 or 2.5 or whatever. Lexus diesel engine is noisy as well. As for the fuel consumption check hereIS220D

I am not saying is a bad car Lexus but in my opinion apart from interior extras, suspension and sound system is far away behind the Audi and BMW.

240km/h isn´t also a problem for a IS220d, i´ve hit 250km/h with wheel dimension 225R17 and 260km/h with a tuning-box. => Well, you right but still won't change the fact. More important is how fast you get there. I don't like to keep a diesel engine on 4500rpm for 15 mins to get there.

But in the Audi you have much more noise from road and engine, but the fuel consumption is realy worse... ca. 0,5-1l/100km more then Audi. => Obviously, Audi is noisier, is the 170hp and S-line suspension. Audi's 2.0 liter engines were always more noisier that 1.9 or 2.5 or whatever. Lexus diesel engine is noisy as well. As for the fuel consumption check hereIS220D

I am not saying is a bad car Lexus but in my opinion apart from interior extras, suspension and sound system is far away behind the Audi and BMW.

My IS220d runs 3500rpm with 240km/h... (have you got a IS220 sport?)

My best friend have got a new (2010)AUDI with CR 2.0TDI 170hp and the engine ist more noisier then the engine in the LEXUS (the noise from road also). His old AUDI with 1.9TDI was MUCH more noisier than his new AUDI with CR. And an ML sound system isn´t far away behind AUDI or BMW. Never ever!

My (car) fuel consumption on the last weekend (500miles on highway (70-80mph) and extra urban): 6,7l/100km.

si lexus is better in noise, interior, suspension and sound system.

Then what in is better bmw and audi? :-) In consumption and gearbox?

for many people, including myself are noise, interior, suspension and sound system more important than consumption and gearbox... But this I knew when I was choosing the car.

I don't understand how can somebody buy a car without trying it. Do you buy shoes for 50€ without trying?

• 1 month later...

Hmm, i guess i am back on the game. Since yesterday i am the owner of Lexus GS450h 2008 Luxury model. First impression, has nothing to do with IS 220D. Way more solid, better, more space, and ... faaaassst. I will get back with pics. ;)

Matus, brillliant and sensible reply. I agree fully. I had driven 3 different 220D's before I bought mine. I had aslo tried BM, and Audi, and felt that the Lexus offered more for my money. If you hate the car you have so much, then get rid of it and stop moaning on here. There is NO car which is 100% perfect. Moral as Matus indicates = "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!"

Col... <[;o)

si lexus is better in noise, interior, suspension and sound system.

Then what in is better bmw and audi? :-) In consumption and gearbox?

for many people, including myself are noise, interior, suspension and sound system more important than consumption and gearbox... But this I knew when I was choosing the car.

I don't understand how can somebody buy a car without trying it. Do you buy shoes for 50€ without trying?

Who complained about not 100% perfect ? You're missing the point, mate. All i am trying to say is: Lexus IS220D has an awful gearbox and you know that. Engine is not strong as it should be for 177hp because the gearbox doesn't help at all. In my opinion at the wheel you get max 140hp. Body is crazy heavy compare with competition. 1700 kg for a sport sedan ??? Here is the result, high fuel consumption and bad performance. With 18" or 19" wheels even Fiat Panda will smoke you. Audi A8 2008 model weigh 1864kg only. You wanna know why? Because the body is made of aluminum. Even Audi A4 has parts of aluminum on it. Try it with a magnet and you will see.

Yes, totally agree with "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!" This is not always an option for some people. Maybe i paid 3000 euro for that car and i had no chance before purchase to drive test. When you buy online let's say shoes, how do you try them ??? I can't imagine what Lexus thought when they released the IS 220D on market.

You missed my point mate. I wasn't getting at you. I'm tired of the moaners on here who slate the 220D and then end up keeping it. I have had mine tested on a rolling road and I have 175BHP at the wheels and get between 41 and 52 MPG from mine. All I do is keep the EGR clean and have it serviced at the proper intervals or before. The gearbox in my 200 sport wasn't the best either, but then you have to compromise. I bought my 220d when it was only a year old. and took extended warranty and service plan, so I really don't worry about it too much. We did 280o miles around Europe last year, and it was a pleasure in the 220D. The Jap's aren't the best at the exec end of the car market, but, they are treated like Rolls Royces in the USA. In all, I am a lucky, happy bunny.

Col... <[;o)

Who complained about not 100% perfect ? You're missing the point, mate. All i am trying to say is: Lexus IS220D has an awful gearbox and you know that. Engine is not strong as it should be for 177hp because the gearbox doesn't help at all. In my opinion at the wheel you get max 140hp. Body is crazy heavy compare with competition. 1700 kg for a sport sedan ??? Here is the result, high fuel consumption and bad performance. With 18" or 19" wheels even Fiat Panda will smoke you. Audi A8 2008 model weigh 1864kg only. You wanna know why? Because the body is made of aluminum. Even Audi A4 has parts of aluminum on it. Try it with a magnet and you will see.

Yes, totally agree with "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!" This is not always an option for some people. Maybe i paid 3000 euro for that car and i had no chance before purchase to drive test. When you buy online let's say shoes, how do you try them ??? I can't imagine what Lexus thought when they released the IS 220D on market.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links