Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaking Front Suspension

Just done a 500-mile round trip in the Lex. It didn't miss a beat (of course) but within 5 miles of home the front suspension had started to squeak and creak. You could even hear it when moving off from rest (because the bonnet lifts slightly). Pushing down on the front wings made a noise like a saw cutting through plastic. Left it for around 90 minutes, tried the same thing, and it was completely silent. I think everything was lubricated at a recent service, when of course the car was cold - the problem only started after a few hours' continuous driving, and then stopped. Any ideas what might need lubricating?

Just done a 500-mile round trip in the Lex. It didn't miss a beat (of course) but within 5 miles of home the front suspension had started to squeak and creak. You could even hear it when moving off from rest (because the bonnet lifts slightly). Pushing down on the front wings made a noise like a saw cutting through plastic. Left it for around 90 minutes, tried the same thing, and it was completely silent. I think everything was lubricated at a recent service, when of course the car was cold - the problem only started after a few hours' continuous driving, and then stopped. Any ideas what might need lubricating?

Hi!

I had/have this problem and you can probably search for the conversation/advice I received about a year ago (on this forum). In my case it was perhaps not as severe and required a combination of things: good, warm and dry weather and it mostly manifested itself over bumps or when turning. It would actually disappear on the motorway and come back when back on slower/bumpier(?) roads. Once the humid weather and/or winter set in not a squeak... The short term solution (and it is now at least a year on from when it started) was (as suggested on this forum) a generous application of WD40 to the bushes via the front wheel wells. As I am not mechanically able (so could not change the bushes myself) this has been a very good solution.

Best wishes

Best wishes

Thanks. I did a search on here for similar problems but couldn't find a thread about it - will now look again. I couldn't work out why it was heat-related (it only started after a long journey, on a warm and dry afternoon, which ended in lots of stationary and stop/start driving, and stopped when the car was cold), but you and Richard have obviously had the same experience. I'll certainly get the WD40 out and have a squirt - I'd rather try that than replace the bushes.

Thanks. I did a search on here for similar problems but couldn't find a thread about it - will now look again. I couldn't work out why it was heat-related (it only started after a long journey, on a warm and dry afternoon, which ended in lots of stationary and stop/start driving, and stopped when the car was cold), but you and Richard have obviously had the same experience. I'll certainly get the WD40 out and have a squirt - I'd rather try that than replace the bushes.

Have tried searching for it and I couldn't find it either! If I remember it correctly the bushes (when dry and warm) dry out hence the squeaking. It sounded very alarming (of course since the car is generally so quiet this noise is even more noticeable) but I experienced no other side effects. I have applied the WD40 only once and it's still quiet.

You're right - the Lex is so refined that you hear squeaks and rattles that you wouldn't hear in normal cars. Just come back from a 100-mile trip and the back suspension is creaking a bit now, so I think a visit to the mechanic is in order. After he last sprayed his WD40 around, the noise stopped, but that was more than a year ago.

I have the same issue. I replaced the ARB bushings (not an expensive or particularly difficult job) and greased the new ones. The squeak remained.

However, I've since greased the top shock mounts, from inside the engine bay. You can't miss them. Since then, no squeak.

This is useful, because my mechanic said that unless the suspension's creaking at the time he sees the car, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I can probably do the top shock mounts myself, though - sounds easy enough. Presumably I need grease, not WD40?

This is useful, because my mechanic said that unless the suspension's creaking at the time he sees the car, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I can probably do the top shock mounts myself, though - sounds easy enough. Presumably I need grease, not WD40?

First thing get some wd40 and spray these points.

The ball joint on the upper arm. You can get at this through the space above the front wheel and wing.

Then go our a little drive and see if the squeak is still there.

If the squeak is still there go for a drive over some speed humps slowly and when the car lands the top mounts will squeak if they are too dry from over the years.

Then just squirt around the top bush on the suspension from inside the bonnet. Can't miss these.

Go for a drive over the same humps and see if it's gone. IF so then you will need to grease them up at a later date to remove the squeak for a longer period as wd40 is only temp short fix or replace the top bushes with new ones.

Baz.

Thanks Baz. The squeak from the rear has disappeared overnight, just like the one at the front did after about an hour! Maybe the car is trying to tell me that it's got arthritis and would rather doze in my garage, like it does most of the time... Anyway, will get greasing very soon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links