Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Vantage Toyota Scarborough Rip Me Off

flotsam

OK I've checked the work and as far as I can tell it's OK.

I've been using them for a few years as I DID like the work they'd done.

Perhaps I WAS being paranoid. But I still can't see how 6 litres of oil goes into an engine spec'd at 5.6 litres.

So it looks like I owe Toyota a full apology.

I've checked the oil too and it does seem to be the fully synthetic 0W-40 I supplied.

I've taken the car out for a spin.

Amazingly, it's smoother. This I noticed after each service for the first few years after I bought the car, but in subsequent years there seemed to be no change after servicing. The cold idling revs have also returned to 800, whereas they shot up to 1200 after Lexus Hull changed my cam belt a few years ago. This just begs the question, what did Toyota put in my car the previous time when I had them service it too and Lexus other times? Last time, I asked for fully synthetic and Toyota said OK, but when I got the invoice it said part-synth 5W-30.

Also, NONE of the garages Lexus or otherwise have done the full service according to the hand book. The closest was Lexus Hull where the invoice claims they've done coolant and spark plugs which no other garage claims to have done and I should have had brake fluid, differential and transmission oils changed by now. So who's ripping me off, Toyota or their franchised garages? Or is Toyota being pedantic and the garages are saying it doesn't need to be done? That's the claim of some other posters here. The Mitchells Repair, which seems to be american, offers a slightly different schedule too!

Furthermore, the handbook says, just use any API SJ oil. But the Mitchells Repair manual says it must be synthetic. Speaking to Lexus in the UK, they say use 5W-30 as 0W-xx would be too thin. But xxW-40 IS thicker. In other words, compared to a 0W-30, a 0W-40 is like a woman, cold when thinner, but thicker when hot.

When the engine's up to temperature, who cares about the environmental temperature? So why is Castrol Australia recommending an 0W-40 whilst Castrol UK only recommend 5W-30 for my car? Wouldn't 0W-30 be better?

For cars other than in Germany, the handbook says idle for 10 seconds before driving off. This implies you need to get oil to the cams which are overhead and perhaps a 0W-xx oil would be better when cold and when most of the wear occurs. Even then, at 20°C, you're looking at about 500cst which is really thick. Why would you want it any thicker? That might also explain why my cold idling is now back at 800rpm. Some online forums claim any xW-40 would have the same "thickness" of 14 centistokes (viscosity) so should be fine and also agrees with the OHC issue saying it will be better for reducing wear than a 5W-xx.

The only remaining issue is cooling, which Amsoil claim the oil is responsible for 40% of, while the coolant the other 60% and a thinner oil is better.

I've already found out, for example, that although the handbook says 95RON petrol is OK, that 97RON means the timing isn't retarded for anti-knock for any engine with compression ratio greater than 10:1, so will run smoother and maybe even more economically than 95RON. This seems to be a big secret in the industry.

Lexus Hull were dodgy, so I switched to Toyota.

I've just bought £65 worth of Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 from Nielsen and the scumbag who serviced my car wouldn't give me the left over, claiming the 6 litres had gone into my 5.6l engine (including oil filter change). In other words the scumbag put some Mazola in my car and kept the good stuff. Checked my earlier invoices too and they've simply missed lots of things whilst still charging me for the full "B" service.

My neighbour had similar problems and has dumped her nearly new Toyota to buy a Honda.

Can anyone recommend an alternative ANYWHERE in N. Yorkshire?

This sounds a bit over the top, why would he do this and how do you know for sure that this happened. The tech guy probably used all the oil you gave him and binned the 0.3ltr that was left over, I would.

Lexus Hull were dodgy too, mmm, I think there's a little paranoia going on here.

Lexus Hull were dodgy, so I switched to Toyota.

I've just bought £65 worth of Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 from Nielsen and the scumbag who serviced my car wouldn't give me the left over, claiming the 6 litres had gone into my 5.6l engine (including oil filter change). In other words the scumbag put some Mazola in my car and kept the good stuff. Checked my earlier invoices too and they've simply missed lots of things whilst still charging me for the full "B" service.

My neighbour had similar problems and has dumped her nearly new Toyota to buy a Honda.

Can anyone recommend an alternative ANYWHERE in N. Yorkshire?

This sounds a bit over the top, why would he do this and how do you know for sure that this happened. The tech guy probably used all the oil you gave him and binned the 0.3ltr that was left over, I would.

Lexus Hull were dodgy too, mmm, I think there's a little paranoia going on here.

Hi some members really do make you laugh or is it cry???????does anything really surprise us anymore????wonder whats next.

Hi some members really do make you laugh or is it cry???????does anything really surprise us anymore????wonder whats next.

The last laughs on you. I make a living off how the government rips suckers like you off.

Toyota actually put right some of the damage done by dodgy garages on my car.

and I should have had brake fluid, .

Doesn't matter whether Lexus, Toyota or non-franchise garage......brake fluid should be checked and normally changed every 2 years.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links