Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Time To Say Bye Bye Rx?

A sudden though not wholly unexpected change in my firms car policy will see me lose my company fuel car, service/maintenance programme, insurance and car tax benefits at the end of the month. Whilst that is partly being offset by an increased car allowance, it won't match the benefits lost.

I simply cannot afford to pay £420 road tax, £800+ insurance and only get 17mpg tootling around town.

So faced with a big decision, sell for something, smaller, more economical and cheaper to tax and insure.

:crybaby:

It is difficult to contribute anything as it concerns your personal finances but moving to an RX400, if your capital situation would allow, will address fuel consumption and road tax. That may well still be out of your range though.

My RX is now over 7 years old. I'm worried that if something does go wrong it will be costly to repair. The comfort of having work cover repairs and maintainance was a big plus. The RX400 in my price range all have in my opion too high milage to justify capital outlay. Also having driven a couple I didn't like teh torque steer or lack of air suspension.

The 450h I just don't like the looks of.

Looks like it will be diesel bimmer next.

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably not going to be enough of a saving to keep you in the Lexus. But I'm assuming it's a 2003-2004 RX? I believe it should only be £245(ish) to tax. The £400 ones only come in on post-march 2006 cars

I've been threatening to change my RX for the past 2 years. We've had it for 6 now and it's by far the longest we've kept any car and I genuinely can't find a car that I could see filling its boots. We've "owned" the car for 2 years now so it's replacement would be part financed and there's nothing out there (bar a newer RX, but I also think its a big outlay for IMO not a fresh enough car) that I look at and think I'd be happy seeing money come out of the bank every month for a few years for!

Edit: I'll also stick in that we got ours serviced at Lexus the first service we had it, but once warranty expired I've just been using my local/trusted garage and its been pretty much faultless. I had a problem with an O2/lambda sensor which could only be sorted by Lexus, cost £300. The parking brake has seized (my fault from lack of use/laziness) and is apparently a bit costly for parts. Otherwise it's needed nothing outside of regular servicing/consumables.

It's a 51 mk1 300 and is just knocking around 96,000 miles.

Is there any scope for cheaper insurance? I'm 30, licence since 17, with 3years NCB and am paying £690 for insurance. I've no points or accidents. There was always 3 in the household so I got by most of my driving career by being a named driver and driving whatever wasn't being used by someone lol

It's probably not going to be enough of a saving to keep you in the Lexus. But I'm assuming it's a 2003-2004 RX? I believe it should only be £245(ish) to tax. The £400 ones only come in on post-march 2006 cars

I've been threatening to change my RX for the past 2 years. We've had it for 6 now and it's by far the longest we've kept any car and I genuinely can't find a car that I could see filling its boots. We've "owned" the car for 2 years now so it's replacement would be part financed and there's nothing out there (bar a newer RX, but I also think its a big outlay for IMO not a fresh enough car) that I look at and think I'd be happy seeing money come out of the bank every month for a few years for!

Edit: I'll also stick in that we got ours serviced at Lexus the first service we had it, but once warranty expired I've just been using my local/trusted garage and its been pretty much faultless. I had a problem with an O2/lambda sensor which could only be sorted by Lexus, cost £300. The parking brake has seized (my fault from lack of use/laziness) and is apparently a bit costly for parts. Otherwise it's needed nothing outside of regular servicing/consumables.

It's a 51 mk1 300 and is just knocking around 96,000 miles.

Is there any scope for cheaper insurance? I'm 30, licence since 17, with 3years NCB and am paying £690 for insurance. I've no points or accidents. There was always 3 in the household so I got by most of my driving career by being a named driver and driving whatever wasn't being used by someone lol

Can SO relate to this. I've had mine since 2007 (it's a 04 plate RX300 SE-L) when it had it 30k-ish miles on it. It just went for its 120k service this week at Lexus Nottingham and it sailed through! Things that have had to be done to it since i've had it:

Radiator

Brake pipes

Power steering pipes

Tyres

Wiper

I used to change my car every two years but like you I can't really find a car that does things as well. For me there there are only three that i'm considering - perhaps next year:

1. RX450

2. Honda CR-V

3. Honda Accord

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links