Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008 Is220D Engine Rebuild Now Needs New Flywheel Wtf?

Hi all

In June my car broke down with an EGR warning at 47k miles - RAC recovered and with one week left on warranty I booked it into Lexus Sidcup. They said carbon build up and needed engine rebuild. They rebuilt engine, but now (from day of collection following rebuild) in 2nd gear when accelerating past 1700rpm there is a horrible rattle (rapid thuds) from car. No problems whatsoever before rebuild. I booked it back into Sidcup several times and they now say it needs a new flywheel at £2000 and it was probably worn beforehand but because the engine was imperceptibly less powerful the problem wouldn't have presented itself!

They admitted that the flywheel was removed during engine rebuild but still refuse to admit any liability - despite the problem happening only from the day after rebuild and never before. That's a huge co-incidence for me - part removed and problems ever since.

I've written to Lexus GB in the hope they'll pay for it - if not I'm going to get the vehicle examined independently to determine cause. Anyone have any advice namely - is this likely to be the flywheel and are Lexus likely to pay for it (2-3 months outside of warranty now).

Best wishes

Gareth

PS - there are other problems with car only present since rebuild, cold starting difficulty which they say is glow plugs needing replacement. Again, glow plugs removed during rebuild and no problems beforehand.

Firstly welcome to the LOC.

There have been many cases of the engine problem on the 220D ( have a search to find more horror stories) and the latest is linked below.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=74928

The engine should have been 3/4 replaced and I would have thought new glowplugs would have been part of this, even if not I would expect them to last longer than they appear to have done.

The other problem you now have sounds like the dual mass flywheel failing, the internal springs get weak or fracture)

You may have a battle on with Lexus as the car is now out of warranty but they tend not to like negative publicity so you went the right way via Lexus GB.

If they do not pay the full costs they may meet you halfway.

This is probably not the news you wanted but clutches are wear and tear items and DMFs still seem to fail prematurely across all makes and models.

I assume all the problems you have had since the engine repair have been notified to the dealer so they have a record to refer to?

You should also have the Sales of Goods Act on your side in that goods have to be of merchantable quality, in other words the parts fitted to your car should not have failed within 3 years given the initial cost of the vehicle and the prestige mark it carries.

Don't give up.

Thanks for the info - everything is documented at the dealer. I've written to LGB arguing that:

1. That Lexus Sidcup failed to exercise reasonable care and skill in rebuilding the engine, causing damage to the components described above; or, alternatively and without prejudice to the first argument, that they failed to exercise reasonable care and skill when removing the components by not identifying that they were faulty.

2. Or, that as Lexus Sidcup claims, the faults were present before the engine rebuild and so are therefore covered under the warranty because they have prematurely failed.

3. Or, that these components too suffer from design or manufacturing defects and have prematurely failed.

I also told them if they don't fix it then I'll get the vehicle forensically examined, with the hope that the vehicle examiner will show that the components are either defective, prematurely worn and so generally "not fit for purpose." I realise this will cost me a lot more than just getting the DMF replaced and it's a gamble that I'm right, but a car needing £10k worth of repairs in three years is frankly ridiculous... I had a clapped out rover whilst I was a student that I sold still working fine with 150k miles on it.

DMFs are fitted to all current diesels and they are the worst invention for many years, that is unless you are a parts supplier.. Just done a DMF replacement on my VW van and when I looked at the flywheel, even I could tell that it was worn so I would have expected experienced mechanics to have noticed that it was worn before refitting it to your car... The worst senario then would have been to fit a new flywheel and clutch whilst the engine was in bits... Even if they had argued that the DMF was a service item prone to wear the worst would have been that you would have had to pay for the parts.... In my opinion it shows a great deal of lack of common sense on the part of the mechanics.. Now I remember why I do all my own work.

I agree. It is a simple case of negligence. For a Lexus technician to do this is shocking with their labour rates. Even if it was only 75% worn you should have been advised to have it replaced.

I agree. It is a simple case of negligence. For a Lexus technician to do this is shocking with their labour rates. Even if it was only 75% worn you should have been advised to have it replaced.

Like they do when the car is out of warranty and the brake pads and discs need renewing during a service :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links