Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs450 H Sport Newbie Questions

Hi All

I am hoping someone can help. Having come close to purchasing another Mercedes E320 CDi or BMW 535 D i decided to have a look at a Lexus GS. Once

i had driven it i ended my E class/5 series search. What a fantastic car, other than the drive it was the quality of the interior that sold me the

car. I have purchased a 450h sport on a 08 plate in black (although looks blue) with 47000 miles from a main dealer - great service so far.

My glovebox rattles constantly and only stops if i leave it open or push on it against the dashboard - -any suggestions please?

The drivers seat squeeks with every movement and i can clearly hear its the leather against the plastic - any suggestions please?

Any general hints and tips RE this car would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

My GS had a terrible sqeak from drivers seat......Lexus relieved me of £80 to fix the issue by removing some bits of plastic that align the seat during manufacture....or something along those lines.

Creaks and rattles from the passenger side dashboard I have given up with....not noticed it as being the glovebox, more from around the front speaker area......notice it more in winter.

Unfortunately squeaks and rattles are a very well known issue with the 3rd generation GS. Mine tends to rattle from the dash in winter and the back in summer! :crybaby: TBH I just live with it. I believe some of the dash rattles can be cured by pushing felt in between the dash and windscreen. Never heard of a glovebox rattle though....

Hi All

I am hoping someone can help. Having come close to purchasing another Mercedes E320 CDi or BMW 535 D i decided to have a look at a Lexus GS. Once

i had driven it i ended my E class/5 series search. What a fantastic car, other than the drive it was the quality of the interior that sold me the

car. I have purchased a 450h sport on a 08 plate in black (although looks blue) with 47000 miles from a main dealer - great service so far.

My glovebox rattles constantly and only stops if i leave it open or push on it against the dashboard - -any suggestions please?

The drivers seat squeeks with every movement and i can clearly hear its the leather against the plastic - any suggestions please?

thanks

Welcome to LOC. My suggestion would be to return the car to the supplying dealer, insist that the issues are rectified and be sure to also put in writing that you are unhappy with these noises. If you put everything in writing and keep copies it is easier to prove things if it drags on.

Unfortunately squeaks and rattles are a very well known issue with the 3rd generation GS. Mine tends to rattle from the dash in winter and the back in summer! :crybaby: TBH I just live with it. I believe some of the dash rattles can be cured by pushing felt in between the dash and windscreen. Never heard of a glovebox rattle though....

Fortunately so far have not got any squeaks or rattles in my car, but its interesting that you mention the noise coming from your dash and windscreen, before owning the GS450h I had a GS300 witch after around 4 month old from new started squeaking from the frond drivers side speaker by the windscreen, if I slid a piece of cardboard in the gap it stopped. I took it back to the dealership were I brought it, they told me this was a common issue and have been allowed by Lexus to strip the front dash out and re sound proof it, after this was done I had no other problems with rattles or squeaks from the front dash.

Hi All

thanks

Yes, I can help with that - I had exactly the same problem last year. Used to drive me up the wall... reaching over and holding the lid, hitting it in fury etc.

In order to investigate and fault-find I bought some "self adhesive anti rattle felt tape" from eBay for about £2 - thin strips of self adhesive felt tape. Convinced it was the locking mechanism on the glove box I set about the plastic components (and anything that looked like plastic-on-plastic contact) in there with felt tape - only to test various combinations and find that the noise was still there.

In the end I found that the actual problem was caused by the lower edge of the front of the glove box squeeking gently against the trim panel underneath it. I ran a short length (probably about 3 inches) of felt tape along the gap (where it looked to be closest to the lid when closed) and I've never had the noise again. IIRC opening the glove box lid makes the gap easy to get to.

This year, the "GS rattle of choice" is the damn plastic dashboard clips on the bulkhead - and specifically the one by the passenger dash speaker. I've tried Silicone spray on it, and it's better - but I might have to get some felt out on that as well!

Anyway, hope this is the same issue as yours - and that you manage to fix it as quickly and easily as I did.

Shades

Hi Shades

Thanks for the tips, its such a shame this car has so may rattles from the dashboard area. I keep the music

loud enough to mask them but spend a lot of my time driving on the phone. This is when i notice them most.

Cheers

Hi Shades

Thanks for the tips, its such a shame this car has so may rattles from the dashboard area. I keep the music

loud enough to mask them but spend a lot of my time driving on the phone. This is when i notice them most.

Cheers

Hi Shades

Cheers

It is certainly not something which I would tolerate on a £40k+ car. I think I would have given the supplying dealer a time limit to cure these noises and if not cured reject the car as of unmerchantable quality due to noises which should certainly not be present on a top end luxury car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links