Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Shake When Braking At High Speed

AndrewJack

Can anyone help?

I have several problems with my LS430, I think they are both related to one cause.

At high speed (above 60 MPH) when I brake lightly the steering wheel shakes, I have just put new pads and discs on the front so it's not the brakes, also when I go over a small bump at slow speed a clunk noise comes from the front of my car, I think the front wishbones have gone (lower)

Has anyone had these problems before who can tell me what I need to do to correct my car.

Many thanks..Andy

(my mobile number is 07970990795)

Did you fit OEM parts when you serviced the brakes or aftermarket?

I would also get the car into the air and check all the front suspension components with the help of a pry bar to see what is moving when it shouldn't be, upper control arm bushes and ball joints,lower arm bushes and ball joints.

Also when you did the brakes did you remove and grease the caliper slider pins as they are notorious for seizing up and can cause a knocking when slow cornering and braking at the same time.

Hi Steve,

My mechanic guy fitted non genuine parts which I bought, I had the car MOT'd several months back and nothing was found lose then, this noise has been going on for 6 months or more.

Tomorrow I'm having a new off side wheel bearing fitted as it's on the way out costing £300 including the fitting, I have a gut feeling it needs new wishbones, upper or lower, not sure yet.

Thanks for your help.

You must have one of the 1st LS430 to arrive in the UK on a 2000 plate as they were only launched in 08/2000.

I guess at £300.00 they are replacing the whole front hub assembly and not just the bearing?

Take advantage while it is in the garage and have them check all the suspension components.

Mine failed its MOT for the 1st time on lower ball joints a year ago. Although there was no indication when driving,when removed they had plenty of play in both of them. Fortunately genuine Lexus replacements were around the £100.00 mark and DIY fitting saved the labour quoted at £50.00 via a local independent.

Regarding the brakes it may be worth asking your garage if they can check the disc runout assuming they have the equipment to do so to confirm if the discs are warped or something else is causing the judder.

Hi Steve,

I purchased the whole hub, I had it fitted by my mechanic guy, it took about an hour, he also took a look at the ball joints and the wishbones, there is a knock coming from the front some where but we cant find it.

The car has an MOT on Thursday, let's see if it goes through, it should as I have it MOTd 3 times a year and it has passed all of them with no advisories (what a car!)

You are right in saying it's was one if the first 430's in the country, it's a great car and runs on LPG as well as petrol.

Thanks..

it could be a siezed calliper and as for the clunking noise check that the calliper bolt is in and tighten as one of the mechanics apprentice forgot to do one on mine and i had told them to recheck to make sure all was tighten relived the clunking noise for me

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links