Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Loss Of Contacts, Speed Dial And Call History

I have noticed on around 6 occasions in our 2011 IS250 that my contacts, speed dials and call history have been erased. I have an Iphone 4s with iOS 5.0.1 but this also occurred 3GS as well on iOS 4.2.1 although less frequently. I have also worked out that this problem can be replicated using the following method;

Turning your phone off, starting the car, then turning the phone on. So if your phone is not on before you start your car, the phone book etc will be erased. This happens every time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have noticed that some people on the CT200H forum have had this problem also but there doesn't seem to be a fix on the net.

Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...

Hello F.A.

I've currently got a 2010 IS250 SE-L and an Iphone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 and have experienced exactly the same problem as you've described. I also experienced the same problem in my previous 2005 IS 250 SE with a Blackberry phone.

It has happened about half a dozen times since I bought my current IS and after the third time I decided not to bother re-saving all my speed dials as I knew at some point I'd probably lose them again :msn-cry:

It happened most recently this Monday (25.11.13) and as I was on holiday for a couple of days I decided to go into my local dealer, Inchcape Nottingham, to ask their advice. Their technical bloke wasn't available and the person in Sales said they had never come across the problem and had no idea what to suggest to fix it, other than download all my contacts again and then manually select each of the speed dials - great help!

But you've found the answer and I've been able to replicate the problem by doing exactly as you've said - a result . Now I know what is causing the problem I will try to make sure my phone is always turned on before I start the car. Or, if I've started the car, I'll have to stop and turn the engine off before then turning the phone on.

But that's not really the point. This is a silly, frustrating problem that I'm sure could be easily resolved with an update to the multimedia system software. I'm sure the problem must have affected lots of owners over the last few years and would really like to know why nothing seems to have been done about it.

I'm going to email Lexus UK directly and ask them to look into this but in case anyone from Lexus monitors this forum I also ask the same question here:

"Can Lexus please advise when this problem is going to be fixed and can they also confirm that when a fix is available it will be provided free of charge to customers, not as an expensive upgrade like the navigation maps"

Thanks again for providing the solution thought F.A.

Robert

Quick update

I've tried several times, last night and again today, to upload the above query directly to Lexus UK using the official Lexus blog website: http://blog.lexus.co.uk/contact-us/ but no joy. When you hit the "Submit" button it just hangs. I left it for over 5 minutes but nothing, so it's clearly broken. I'll try again tomorrow during normal working hours - just in case they don't run the blog 24/7 !!! :whistling:

I've only just joined the LOC so perhaps the problem of the Lexus blog is a known phenomenon that has been brought up before? I've no idea why it isn't working as there is no meaningful explanation, which is frankly poor and I have to say very unlike Lexus.

Robert

Hello Carl and thanks for the information.

I'll give Lexus Leicester a call and see if I can either arrange for them to tell Lexus Nottingham about it and perhaps also let them have a copy of the update disc, or alternatively speak directly to Lexus Leicester and see if I can pop over to let them fix it.

My car is just out of the manufacturers warranty period and I haven't taken out an extended warranty, so if you don't mind me asking - did they charge for the update or provide it free?

Regards - Robert

Mine was under warranty at the time so was free. If you buy the latest hdd update which includes 2013-14 version 2 maps and gracenotes you will also get the software update included. This costs about £140 plus vat.

• 2 months later...

Sorry. I haven't been on that frequently recently and completely missed this.

OK, so since late October, my car has not lost its contacts ( touch wood! ) I am running an Iphone 5s which, during this period has run all versions of iOS 7 on my 2011 IS 250 SE-L and I have not had a problem. HOWEVER, starting the car, then turning the phone on after still wipes all contacts from the car. Interestingly, if I start the car, then leave he car with the phone so the Bluetooth connection is dropped, the contacts are still present when I return to the car. This never happened before.

My car is due a service in 2000 miles so I will ask about the update then. I have the extended warranty, but I doubt that this will be included. Are you sure there is an actual software update included with the new maps?

Yes for sure. You get the latest maps, gracenotes & firmware.

Has the latest update resolved any/all of the issues you may have been having. I have the latest update and the phone favourites stills drops. Minor but annoying.

Ever since I had the 2013-14 version 2 installed I haven't had any problems. The 2 I did have was the favourite contacts deleting and having to reconnect my iPod via USB as it wouldn't always recognise it was connected.

Hi Carl

I'm intrigued to hear that your car has had 2013 / 2014 version 2 installed and it's fixed the problem. I had my IS 250 SE-L serviced at Lexus Nottingham about a month ago and they said they'd tried to load an upgrade but it didn't work. I didn't establish what version but I'll get in touch with them and see if they have the 2013 / 2014 version 2 available. All they could suggest was that they'd let me know if an upgrade became available from Lexus.

The frustrating thing was that a couple of days later I forgot to turn on my phone until after I'd started the car and hey presto, all the phonebook records, speed dials and history information was lost again - frustrating to put it mildly.

I'm considering swapping my current car for a new IS 300 but have just noticed that David is having the same problem so I'm definitely going to want to find out when this is going to be fixed before making a final decision. As David says, the problem isn't really a big deal, but it's a silly and frustrating issue that shouldn't be happening. My guess would be the problem is being caused by some sloppy code writing, but we'll see.

I'll post on the forum if I get a satisfactory answer.

Robert

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but for the last update (2012-13) I took my IS 250C to Nottingham and they told me the update would not work and lost all my music from the hard drive. They gave me a full valet as compensation.

I went to Cardiff Lexus and it was done straight away no probs.

Maybe Lexus Nottingham does not know how to update?!

Evening Graham

I think you may be right about Lexus Nottingham, although at least they didn't lose all of my music on the hard drive thank goodness!

The technician who allegedly tried to update my car had gone home by the time I arrived to collected the car and the service reception team didn't know what had been done, which in itself was disappointing, especially as I'd told them of the problem when I booked the service and informed them that another customer had been to Lexus Leicester and they had fixed the issue.

Anyway, I eventually got an email from them which said "they had done the update but it didn't work". They went on to say "they had spoken to Lexus technical who had advised they would have to wait until another fix was out". They unhelpfully said that Lexus "could not put a timescale on when another fix would be out" so they've simply told me they'll be in touch if / when they receive something.

Frankly I feel as though I've been fobbed off, which is irritating.

I note you say that Lexus Cardiff clearly have the answer, but going to them would cost me a lot in terms of time and money. I might give Nottingham a ring though and ask them to talk to either Leicester or Cardiff and find out what they need to know, get it from Lexus and then update my car.

Thanks for the information.

sendz, re. the update.

Do you actually get to keep the disc/USB stick when you pay £140 + VAT ?

What exactly is the process?

I don't want them messing things up!

I've been meaning to get my maps updated for a while now.

But I'm not sure if I'll be going to Nottingham to get it done, after reading these experiences!

I got my car new from them in 2011

Do you know if Matthew Clarke, Sales still works there?

Argento

I don't know anyone at Nottingham sorry. You get a blank USB stick as the key is a one time use only. They should have 2013-14 ver 2 preloaded on a hdd update tool and the USB is a licence key which allows it to be uploaded onto 1 car. Takes about 90 mins to upload.

sendz, <I don't know anyone at Nottingham sorry.>

Ok

< You get a blank USB stick .... .... >

I'm glad I asked the question now.

Because I don't understand how they do it?

Has the blank USB stick got the licence code on it?

If so, are you saying that the licence code gives the dealer permission to upload the update to your car?

Argento

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - Lexus Nottingham have still apparently not heard anything further from Lexus regards the latest version.

Argento I can tell you that Matthew Clarke left Lexus Nottingham about 15 months ago - don't know where he went but he's no longer at Nottingham.

I've taken the plunge and bought a new IS 300h Luxury - don't have a fixed date as yet but will be in the next week or so. I laboured the point about this problem to the new centre manager, James Bridge and he has assured me they will have their master technician check the whole phone / infotainment system thoroughly before I take delivery.

I have to admit I've been reading the horror stories on the IS 300h forum this morning about issues with the whole phone / infotainment / sat nav system and it's making me nervous. Some of the earliest cars seem to have suffered from some awfully flaky software. Needless to say I'll now be watching this like a hawk and logging any and every query in writing to Lexus Notingham and Lexus HQ if I do start to encounter problems.

I really hope I don't though because I really love the new car in every other respect. I'll keep posting, but of course any posts about my new car will be on the IS 300h forum page.

Cheers - Robert

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links