Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat Auxiliary Battery

Hello, I have just acquired a 2006 RX400H and love it

Unfortunately my first experience with the vehicle was not so lucky.

I had a flight from Heathrow so needed to leave home at 0700 during the Xmas Holidays.

So the night before I went to the car (on the drive) and programmed the Sat Nav for the airport.

Next Morning I couldnt open the car with the remote and when I turned the ignition - Nada.

Panic!

So I wanted to jump the car using the jump leads in the boot...... couldn't open the boot without power!

Eventually found the Battery under the bonnet - still very dark outside, but when I started to charge the Battery ,

the car alarm started which is not so good in our neighbourhood.

Catch 22 I thought

Cant open the boot

Cant jump start

Cant put power onto the Battery.

Anyway no choice I started to charge and by continuously pushing the remote Open - the alarm was kept under control.

Then I could open the boot - take out the jump leads and jumped using the old faithful MX5.

It was then that I saw that I had left the interior light on the night before.

This had obviously drained the Battery.

I was also very surprised that the car started almost immediately so I guess the main Battery is responsible for starting the Petrol engine.

Although it was my fault I admit to being a little disappointed that this luxury vehicle does not automatically switch off all lights when the car is locked.

Anyway - the drive down to London was great and we caught the flight without problem even though I was a little stressed by it all.

I had a flight from Heathrow so needed to leave home at 0700 during the Xmas Holidays.

So the night before I went to the car (on the drive) and programmed the Sat Nav for the airport.

Next Morning I couldnt open the car with the remote and when I turned the ignition - Nada.

Panic!

So I wanted to jump the car using the jump leads in the boot...... couldn't open the boot without power!

Eventually found the battery under the bonnet - still very dark outside, but when I started to charge the battery ,

Catch 22 I thought

Cant open the boot

Cant jump start

Cant put power onto the battery.

Anyway no choice I started to charge and by continuously pushing the remote Open - the alarm was kept under control.

Then I could open the boot - take out the jump leads and jumped using the old faithful MX5.

This had obviously drained the battery.

I was also very surprised that the car started almost immediately so I guess the main battery is responsible for starting the Petrol engine.

Although it was my fault I admit to being a little disappointed that this luxury vehicle does not automatically switch off all lights when the car is locked.

Anyway - the drive down to London was great and we caught the flight without problem even though I was a little stressed by it all.

Hi, I am surprised that just leaving the interior courtesy light on caused the Battery to go flat to the extent that the car would not start.

I no that on the GS450h if the Battery power drops down to a critical level the car will start to “ load shed “, in other words it will start to turn of non vital electrical equipment to preserve the Battery so that the car will still start.

Is the Battery on your RX the original?. If so you may want to have it checked out, as it could be getting on to being 6 years old.

Panic!

Eventually found the battery under the bonnet - still very dark outside, but when I started to charge the battery ,

Catch 22 I thought

Cant open the boot

Cant jump start

Cant put power onto the battery.

This had obviously drained the battery.

I was also very surprised that the car started almost immediately so I guess the main battery is responsible for starting the Petrol engine.

Hi, I am surprised that just leaving the interior courtesy light on caused the Battery to go flat to the extent that the car would not start.

I no that on the GS450h if the Battery power drops down to a critical level the car will start to “ load shed “, in other words it will start to turn of non vital electrical equipment to preserve the Battery so that the car will still start.

Is the Battery on your RX the original?. If so you may want to have it checked out, as it could be getting on to being 6 years old.

Hi Wendle, thanks for your advice - I will check out the Battery on my return

This is not meant to sound condescending but, if you could get into the car could you not climb over the back into the boot to retrieve the jump leads?

The Battery on my 2001 RX had to be replaced either last winter or winter before. It needed jumping on 2 occasions. I'd accidently left the interior/map light on over night on both occasions. First time I jumped it from my RX8 and second time it required a garage call out with a booster pack as neither the RX8 nor my brothers Astra had enough oomph to get it to even turn over. At which point I decided it would be wise to just replace the Battery as, having never been replaced in my ownership, it was at the very least coming onto 6 years old.

• 1 month later...

Iv'e had similar problems to Keithyrob. Picked up my 600h on Mon. Tue morning, flat 12v batttery. Charged it up. Wed morning flat 12v Battery.

The problem turned out be my fault for turning the power button to 'acc' whilst inputing sat nav destinations, radio staions, phone numbers etc. Apparently this will flatten the 12v in 30 mins.

I now know to set the power button to 'on' when messing about with the gadgets, as this uses the traction Battery to top up the 12v. Glad I didn't have anywhere important to go.

Aux batteries on the hybrid vehicles are very small. Doesn't take much to drain them. I've left my interior light on overnight, and whilst the central locking did work by the time the key was inserted into the ignition, the auto lights came on and the steering wheel started to move there was no longer enough power for the vehicle to go 'Ready'

Sounds a bit like Apollo 13! Modern cars do seem to use up a load of power though; probably hasn't helped fuel consumption over the years having the alternator draw more and more power from the engine to support them all.

Interestingly the Fuel Consumption thread might also want to look at sat nav on, audio on, heater on, heated seats on etc If anyone wants to spend a journey without creature comforts in the name of science might be interesting to see just how much it makes a difference!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links