Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My transmission seems to take a while to change from 3rd-4th gear on cold mornings. Is this normal? After about 2 minutes driving all seems fine. Does driving in PCT Mode affect the way the gearbox changes gears?

It operates perfectly for the rest of the day. Coming from a Honda Accord, I'm still trying toget used to the Lexus.

If the transmission is similar to my LS400 mine will not go into 4th (overdrive) until the transmission fluid has warmed to a certain temperature to avoid damage, so I would assume this safe guard has been carried forward to later models.

My transmission seems to take a while to change from 3rd-4th gear on cold mornings. Is this normal? After about 2 minutes driving all seems fine. Does driving in PCT Mode affect the way the gearbox changes gears?

It operates perfectly for the rest of the day. Coming from a Honda Accord, I'm still trying toget used to the Lexus.

Hi,

I don't think there should be a noticeable delay in changing gears with temperature. I have a 250 and drove it through last winter [unlike a lot of our colleagues :shifty: ] at down to -15C; it changed gears as usual. I suspect you need to get the transmission checked out, the gearbox/power train is controlled by software and it is possible that there is a problem there at cold temperatures - or something with the actual box/torque converter itself. Does it change 4/5/6 ok ?

The power setting, PCT, alters the shift to higher rpm [ more power/torque] and engine management to allow sportier characteristics.

best wishes

Yes 4/5/6 are all okay. It's kind of difficult to judge because there are so many speed bumps in my area, so I'm constantly on the brakes every 40yds or so. Took the car for a quick spin this morning. Once again seamless gear changes and perfect change from 3rd to 4th when speed permitted it. Tried it in both normal and PCT settings. Have to remember that it will go higher in the rev range in PCT setting before changing gears and feathering the throttle seems to hold it in 3rd gear for longer. I may change the ATF in the near future though.

Overall I'm quite satified with the car during my 6 weeks of ownership.

I have had two IS250 automatics and both of them typically needed to warm up a bit before 6th gear was selected. However, I didn't notice any delays in any of the lower gears being selected.

Mine behaves like that, the colder it is the more noticeable as it hangs on to a lower gear longer. Does it to stop the engine struggling under excess load when cold. The gear box changes automatically taking into account many factors, one being engine temperature.

On early first startups my 250 auto has very little power compared to the throttle input and sounds a bit tappety when revving (if very cold) or just noisier than usual . This seems to go away after about 5 mins and then back to normal. Anybody else get this? Dealer fobbed me off saying this engine is noisier when cold... Doesnt seem right to me.. M

There are a number of posts on the tapping-when-cold syndrome - here's one such thread that I started

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=54369&st=0&p=595194&hl=+tapping%20+when%20+cold&fromsearch=1entry595194

Thanks - that reminded me i have the occasional start up "rattle" as well: mines an 06 so well out of warranty. It does worry me but im hoping nothing serious till get rid in 12-18 months..

My IS250 auto box delays the gear shifts when cold and refuses to select 6th until I've driven several miles.

As I understand it, this behaviour is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

The car gearbox seems to be performing very well . I've had a lot of compliments from various passengers. Now if only I could fix the damned mirrors!

What is wrong with the mirrors? Some complain that they don't auto-park - but that is deliberate because if you park a bit close to a wall or somebody parks too close to you, automatic mirrors that open/close when you start/stop the engine would automatically be damaged.

The only other thing to note is that mirror auto-dipping in reverse is only enabled if the Left-Off-Right mirror-selector rocker switch is kept AWAY from the Off position, and to store your personal seat & mirror adjustments 1, 2 or 3 have to be pressed until a beep sounds.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links