Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have only had my 220d for a couple of months or so and for various reasons have not managed to use it very much. However, yesterday I went for a round trip of some 47 miles, the journey consisted of a more or less 50/50 split of A roads and dual carriageway. I reset the clocks before setting off and used the cruise control set at 65mph on the dual carriageway. On my return home I found that I had as I say, covered a distance of 47 miles and, at an average speed of 38mph. Disappointingly the MPG figure was showing as 36.8, I honestly expected to get a better return than that as a similar journey in my previous car, a Rover 75, consistently returned a figure of 53 to 58 MPG.

I think that I may have to refer to the pinned topic "Increase your mileage in a few steps" and to see if I have the courage to give it a go.

try 57mph in 4th at 2150 rmp. this returned the best for me. the best i have been able to achieve is 44mpg though. i get normally 36mpg in summers average and 30-33mpg in winters with normal driving.

I don't get it....you would have more fun and a better drive with a petrol version.....and with the difference in cost betwen petrol and diesel.....probably wouldn't notice any difference in running costs.

I would say there must be something wrong with the vehicle, take it back to Lexus and get them to sort it.

I just done a run today of 250 miles mostly urban and some dual carriageway and got a return of 45.7and a average tank return of 46.7 I achieved this by sitting at 40mph in fourth gear and on dual carriageways at 65 mph in fifth gear I don't bother using sixth at all unless I am above 80mph if you hit sixth gear before that then your fuel consumption will drop as the engine tends to labour if you drop below 70mph

Thank you to shepherd,TonyB and smokeyjoe for your input on this. I haven't done a decent run since I've owned the car because I have been so busy (just about to start tiling the kitchen!) but I will obviously keep monitoring the situation each time that I go out to see what happens. I have a long run up to Lincolnshire in early Spring so that should prove interesting.

I am quite tempted to give Matus' suggestion a try but I think I need to give it a bit more thought first.

Just dropped back into the forum having got rid of my 06 22d a couple of years ago. Just before I did I got Lexus Bristol to clean out the EGR and that significantly improved MPG (back up to 45mpg). Pity I did not get it done earlier! I would strongly recommend getting your lexus dealer to clean out yours and see what happens (do not allow them to replace as that is expensive). It also cleared up the clouds of black smoke under accerelration and whit smoke pouring out when stooped. A WW2 destroyer would have been proud of the smoke screen it left!

Just dropped back into the forum having got rid of my 06 22d a couple of years ago. Just before I did I got Lexus Bristol to clean out the EGR and that significantly improved MPG (back up to 45mpg). Pity I did not get it done earlier! I would strongly recommend getting your lexus dealer to clean out yours and see what happens (do not allow them to replace as that is expensive). It also cleared up the clouds of black smoke under accerelration and whit smoke pouring out when stooped. A WW2 destroyer would have been proud of the smoke screen it left!

Thanks for this info. I have read quite bit about the EGR so I think that I will get it checked out, might even consider doing it myself, there seems to be a lot of guidance on here for that particular job. Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links