Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi there everyone, I have recently sold my car and am looking to move for a 4 door diesel mid-range car to replace it. I have narrowed down my search to either a Lexus IS220d ( newer 2009 model) or a BMW 320D M-Sport 2009 LCI model. I know many on here are gona be biased in their opinion but I was just wondering what peoples opinions would be given the same choice, as i'm sure many of you have already crossed this bridge.

I have read of poor mpg and quality issues for the Lexus and test drove one briefly this morning. On first impressions I was impressed with the spec level offered and the overall feel of the car. However after only a short distance on newly resurfaced road I got a rattle sound from the dash, near where it meets the windscreen. I also found that there was a slight vibration in some gears with this causing the rear view mirror to in turn vibrate and made it impossible to see behind me. This only lasted for a couple thousand rpm in two gears!

I know every car make has it problems and none are perfect but as owners of Lexus models what is the opinion of most on here in regards to Lexus ownership Vs BMW

Thanking you

I know many on here are gona be biased in their opinion but I was just wondering what peoples opinions would be given the same choice, as i'm sure many of you have already crossed this bridge.

I'll definitely admit to be biased. In my opinion you should buy the Beemer without hesitation. Lexus should never have produced the IS220D, but the lure of the European fleet market was too strong for them to resist...big mistake..

I chose an IS 250 Auto over a 3 series BMW.

If it had been down to a direct choice between a Lexus 220d or a BMW 320d I would have definitely gone for the BMW. Too many issues with 220d, take some time and look through five years of postings on this forum.

I did however prefer the basic 320D to the M Sport as I thought it rode better.

Hi I also chose an IS250 over a 3 series as apart from lacking toys for similar money I just felt more at home in the lexus. (and it looks nicer) BMW very spartan looking, M sport versions with runflats were too hard for our bumpy roads. I did not entertain the IS220d as it doesnt seem that economical and like you I checked the forums before deciding and theres been lots of problems with it. 18 months down the road I would say that the beemer rode better (in se form bu thinkt they are actually quite soft compared to std IS)

If you cover a lot of miles though.d and thus need a diesel go for a BMW (33Od would go well :flowers: ) But see if you can get a good value specced up one. M

Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to get honest feedback from owners. I had the feeling that the Lexus got a lot of spec standard to make up for other short comings. It looked too good to be true. It's just so annoying that the majority of BMW's are so poorly spec'd and every single extra costs €€€'s. :megaangry:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links