Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch Replacement

Rugbybarrel

Hi,

I have a slipping clutch and am getting some quite expensive quotes back for changing the clutch, i have a 2007 is 220d.

They are saying that along with the clutch i will need to change the flywheel which is dual mass, so this makes the quote even higher, does this actually need to be done??

Quotes are around £750 for the clutch, when you add the flywheel they go up to  around £1,500.

The car is quite old being a 2007 so if going up to £1,500 probably not worth doing!

Any advice around if the flywheel needs replacing and any idea of costs would be useful.

Thanks

Nick

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Rugbybarrel said:

Any advice around if the flywheel needs replacing and any idea of costs would be useful.

I believe it's best practice with a dual mass flywheel to have it replaced, you could try getting some quotes from here.

https://bookmygarage.com/blog/clutch-replacement/#toc-heading-3

Hi Nick,

As Andrew says, it is best practice to change the dual mass flywheel whilst doing the clutch. 

However, it might not be necessary.  If you aren't experiencing any juddering when engaging the clutch, then it is probably ok for now, but since your car is quite old, it is most likely quite worn so who knows how much longer it will last?

When I had my IS220d, it was the other way around:  I need a flywheel, so replaced the clutch at the same time since it was out anyway.

I appreciate this isn't the same thing since the flywheel is substantially more expensive than a clutch, but the theory is the same.

So it is down to you whether you want to take the risk.  If you aren't willing the spend the money changing the flywheel because the car is so old, then your choices are somewhat limited I'm afraid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links