Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tyre Insurance - Necessary?

essex_uk

On the subject of insurance, I always think about the mathematics. The insurance companies weigh up the chances of them paying out and assess the likelyhood and adjust their figures in order to ensure that the customers always pay. ( so in the case of tyres, the number of people who dont have any damage outweighs the number of people who do). My conclusion is that the careful /lucky drivers subsidise the careless / unlucky drivers and therefore you have to honestly ask yourself, " Am I a careless / unlucky driver?"

Mathematically, I am better off not having additional tyre insurance due to the same statistics which the insurers use. Motor insurance is a legal requirement. Insurance companies exist to make a profit in any way they can dream up.

Of course, having said this I will doubtless puncture all 4 tyres and ruin my on board repair kit today ! :) :D

For a car where tyres cost £100 I wouldn't bother and just take the risk. On the other hand my IS-F ones cost nearly £300 each so needless to say made sure got it for that!

I think the chances of having a puncture are pretty slim to start with if you take reasonable steps to avoid them by regularly checking your tyre pressures and not driving over road debris.

It always amazes me that from personal experience it is nearly always either a nail or screw in the tread that causes the puncture on an A class road or motorway 5 miles from the nearest town, how do they get there?

Unless serious most punctures can be safely and effectively professionally repaired for around a tenner so taking the odds of having a puncture and the repair cost into account I would take the risk of not insuring the tyres.

Thanks for you views & opinions folks.

I'll be buying tyre insurance as the last few cars we have had ended up with screws in the side walls and as they were run flats = very expensive.

Cheers Kev

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links