Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Calipers

finally got round to talking to edgware road about the caliper corrosion and they have agreed to replace them for me, woo-hoo!

however, they won't paint them for me cos they don't want to be liable for any brake failure and they also said that they have replaced calipers for a few people and the new calipers don't seem to corrode anymore. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

also, what colour are the calipers when they are fresh and new?

dark grey, like the granite sky, or more like silver, cos I dont want to paint them but want to put stickers on them, so need to know what colour would work on them

you lucky git!

I tried Reading and also Lexus Customer Relations and they both said no.

I ended up painting them!

One of my rear discs on the hub part has got quite a lot of surface rust on it, will they change this too?

said that they have replaced calipers for a few people and the new calipers don't seem to corrode anymore. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

sept 2002 and mine were spotty and looked horrible within 6 months

the drums have been modified and do not rust any more(they told me, before inspecting my rusty ones)

well mine had the modified ones, and they replaced them a month ago

sept 2002 and mine were spotty and looked horrible within 6 months

dunno whether what he was saying was right, but it wasnt the ones on new cars, but the ones they replace with seem to be holding out better, although coming to think of it, it does sound a little dodgy, but they replacing them so i am happy :D

really? :blink: i took the car in for ill-fitting trim, and also cracking around the clock, and then in passing mentioned that the calipers were awful, and they agreed to replace them. No fuss, no bother. been quite happy with edgware road so far, except that they still arent doing any gold discount :angry:

you lucky git!

I ended up painting them!

One of my rear discs on the hub part has got quite a lot of surface rust on it, will they change this too?

I'm guessing here..

But you're called Kevin and you're young.

Lexus, banks, pretty ladies, they'll all turn you down.

I'm 24 and look 16..

I won't even bother asking for new calipers then :crying:

Haha.

I put down a deposit to a 2nd hand IS200 sport from the Swindon Lexus dealer...... let's just say they weren't too bothered.

:rolleyes:

I got like the same problems(2): my car is 2 years old and allready the calipers' paint is going away;

& I'm like 30 and look (and feel) 18 :doggy:

Does anybody got like a name and spec on what paint I should use to repaint?

Greetz,

-<CruzMissile--=

:devil:

yeah guess that right mate! If it was that easy, don't you think all the others on this site who have the same problem would have got theirs changed?

I used Hammerite smooth, search for it, theres loads of posts.

more of a reply to oka97's post, but re-read it and must admit got it a bit wrong!!! ho ho, not to worry.

I used Hammerite smooth for the paint and bought a couple of new arty brushes. worked a treat, got a flat shaped one which worked well.

By the way, I am 27 (dunno how old I look though!). Know the feeling of not being taken seriously at dealers though. BMW especially.

I think a lot of the problem is that I didn't buy the car from them and also didn't buy it new.

A lot of garages are not that keen on warrenty work if you didn't buy the car there as they didn't make any money out of you from the car and they see it as not their problem!

Anyway, Reading are good and I am now using them for all my work/servicing etc.

I have black calipers with silver stickers and looks nice. I shall try to get you a piccy but raining at mo!

They look nice but in the same way suttle. Chrome stickers (if steve has any left) may look good - on silver car!

What colour is your car? If not silver then how about white stickers?

Paint is paint on not spray by the way! You then have to laquer over the stickers. Halfords do that too.

you paint on with a brush then? cos dealer said that that would leave brush marks so would need to spray, and then may get overspray onto piston. Hence they said no. If this is not the case though, I'll have another go at making them paint them cos i don't want to paint them myself. My car's blue, and I was thinking silver calipers if they are painted with black stickers, or if left unpainted, put silver stickers on them

no brush marks whatsoever. Hammerite smooth seems to melt in, so to speak!!

Will look good. Have a go yourself, seriously, its very easy, you will enjoy the process.

It drys so quick too.

I bought a 52-plate IS200 SE from Newcastle in June'03, and the calipers are already "problematic" (they were starting to look rusty). The workshop had tarted them up a little bit when the car was ready for sale, but that effort was a shabby one to say the least!

I have just spent the time over the weekend to paint them... first time I tried anything like that (on a car anyway!) and they look OK.

I have a black car, and painted the calipers red (and that's quite a bright red!). Used Hammerite (bought from Halfords for a little under five quid) and a normal small paint brush. There are no brush marks... as kev dood says the paint seems to melt in.

I'll be taking the front wheels off this weekend coming to finish off the job... wether I keep them bright red or re-paint them black I don't know yet. I haven't got a digi-cam so cannot take a piccy for everyone to see. Sorry.

There's a damn good "how to" somewhere... that's what I used to help me paint the calipers and the information contained is extremely useful. This is the link to the "how to paint your calipers" info.

here are some piccies, sorry if quality is poo but was a quick job. I have some more but have to scan them in first!!

Also res is quite high (2048x)

arrrrgh, cannot upload "this type file"??? eh, its a jpeg!! help

right then, just added to gallery, dunno how to auto add in link but try these.

last couple are of my (dirty calipers)

More of the calipers

The last one shows the rust starting on the rear disc - does anyone have any idea if this is enough to get them replaced as others have done!

The piccies of when I did them are better, if the camera gets developed soon, then I shall bung them up!

ta, I do think the normal silver stickers are a bit too subtle but I didn't want something that would be flash harry!!

Chrome I think would be wicked, though on a black car, how about black calipers and white stickers. That would be nice.

I do however like the silver calipers and black writing as on the SL600 merc (poss AMG one!)

the calipers look great, good job

don't think i'll have a go at painting them though, the brakes are too important! and the new ones look ok by themselves

was just thinking, if i lacquer the new ones, will that prevent any corrosion?

don't think i'll have a go at painting them though, the brakes are too important! and the new ones look ok by themselves

I originally thought I would muck-up the job... but as long as you use some masking tape and basically cover everything that you don't want touched then you'll be OK. If you've painted anything before (house walls, pictures) then you'll be OK... I was!!!

was just thinking, if i lacquer the new ones, will that prevent any corrosion?

If you lacquer the calipers that is likely to slow down corrosion since it is heat / cold / salt / water which cause corrosion.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links