Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K&n Oil Filter

shagpile

I have an is200 sportcross and am trying to find a K&N oil filter for it.Can anyone tell me if the HP1002 will fit (its made for the is300 and longer) and if I will lose oil pressure using it. K&N dont seem to specify one for the is200

The filter element has no influence on oil pressure which is controlled elsewhere - it is just needed to reduce particles of muck circulating with the oil. With today's engines and lubricants, filters have very little to do. So why not fit an OEM filter which will work just as well, last just as long & available from all Lexus & most Toyota spares counters.

I've looked at the K+N filters online but by the time you have paid for it and delivery the OEM Toyota fliters are cheaper including the new sealing washer plus I have never had a problem with them.

Thanks for the replies....The reason for getting the K&N filter is cos they are easier to replace and only cost about £8...I have not done an oil change yet but have been told and read they are a nightmare to remove.Is there an easy way to do it.

dont know where you heard that k&n oil filter is easier to replace thats a load of bs easiest way is to take the front passenger wheel off then you can get to the filter through the wheel arch it is sat just above the engine mount if you carnt get a good grip on it peirce it with a screwdriver then you will be able to put some leaverage on it with the screwdriver. when fitting a new one dip your finger in the new oil and run it on the rubber on the new filter to get a good seal, then tighten hand tight.

Mike

hi,

I want to service my lex. its a x reg (2000) and done 115k. what would be the best oil to use? i'm thinking of Castrol magnetic but would i need 5w30 or 10w40?

am not sure considering its done high millage. also would i need to change the following:

Brake Fluid

Coolant

Power stearing

gearbox oil

diff oil

these 5 things have not been changed for about 16 months now just want to know are they necessary? if so could you please recommend which would be the best to go for.

thanks for any replies in advance.

Brake fluid is the most neglected - when you pump fresh fluid through, blackish sludge which can slow the response of the brakes is often discharged.

Power-steering fluid degrades very little & changing gearbox/diff fluids are rarely worth the effort without good reason because often specified to last the life of the vehicle - but 115k could be close to theoretical vehicle life.

For peace of mind, coolant is worth replacing to make sure it is the appropriate type & in the correct concentration.

None of these is urgent & can be delayed until it is warmer.

However, it is absolutely vital to ensure the idler/cambelt is not damaged nor exceeded its stated life, and if it needs changing you might as well replace the the water-pump at the same time - as a precaution because they are inclined to become dribbly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links