Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Oil

lexus22

Hi what you require is a good quality 5w/30 grade oil . You can use either semi-synthetic or fully synthetic you pays your money and you take your choice . If you are driving quite a lot of miles or doing a lot of stop start motoring with a short commute I would go down the synthetic route ; but semi-synthetic is perfectly adequate for every day use .I always use the fully syn thetic Mobil 1 but thats just my choice . I can recommend www.opieoils.co.uk who is on this forum and gives good prices and excellent delivery . If you want a professional opinion ,I'm sure he will advise Have a look on his website

Have bought oil from Opie before for my Lotus and as you say they give excellent service. I was considering useing fully synthetic but if the engine knocks/rattles when starting from cold then will keep to the semi, Does this happen to yours?

Car was serviced just before I bought it and oil used on all the previous services has been semi but if fully is better for the Lexus than I will change to it. Just dont want to buy it only to find the engine sounds like a bag of bolts when starting.

Hi Chris ;the engine should not knock when started from cold . You may get a slight rattle for a couple of seconds while the oil pressure builds up and fills the oil filter ,I have seen this in the past .It is important to ensure that you use an original Toyota oil filter as some of the cheaper ' motor factor ' ones allow the oil to drain back and the engine will rattle for what seems a long time on the first cold start of the day .If you think this is the case check for the Toyota trade mark on the filter body ;if a pattern part is fitted ,my advice is to change it .

5-30 mobile 1 fully synthetic

no knocks or bangs either cold or hot.

you need a serious oil change dude -

No ... my car is fine mate! I am just asking shall I put semi or full synthetic in when I do an oil change!!

Good advice re genuine oil filter and as there is no benefit to useing fully synthetic I will go with semi.

Dont get me wrong, the cost is not the issue, I use it in the Esprit as it is a small highly stressed engine unlike the is200. Reason for question is because I had a V6 Cavalier years ago which knocked and rattled from cold start when garage put fully synthetic in it, I made them come round and put semi back in! fine then.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links