Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Altezza Stereo Specs And Mp3 Jukebox?

handbrake2

Hi,

I'm hopefully 2 weeks from being the proud owner of a white 1999 Altezza RS200Z. :zee:

From reading the previous posts I see that people have various levels of satisfaction with their stereos. I would like to ask you guys some questions?

1. I'm really into MP3's and I want to buy a Kenwood Digital Music Keg. Has anyone ever gotten an MP3 jukebox to work with their stock head unit? If so what's required?

2. How good are the stereo and speakers? I see that the US IS300 has an optional 240 watt, 8 speaker unit. Is this standard on the RS200Z, and if not is it a straight swap?

Thanks,

Handbrake2.

Check my sig. I changed the head-unit pretty soon after I got the car as it jammed CDs and of course I had no UK warranty.

I have tons of MP3s and over the years have upgraded my headunit to a Japanese imported double-din unit, which plays MP3/CDs and minidisc too, and is compatible with the music keg (all Kenwood head units use the same CD Changer connection system which the Keg uses). I just have a stack of CDs each with about 10 albums on in MP3 format in the glove box and then MDs in the centre console.

I'll be selling my headunit soon if you're interested - PM me. Only had it since December, but I want to redo my whole ICE setup...

I can post some pics if you want... once I've taken them :) or if you're interested or you can see the unit here (orignal page here.)

I'm surprised how good the stock speakers in the Altezza were, so I kept them, just adding a subwoofer to widen the frequency range and to let the standard speakers concentrate on their own ranges using the Xover in the head unit. Sounds awesome.

Asam

Thanks, but before I think of changing the stock head unit I would be interested to know how good the stock unit sounds and the number/type of speakers that the car comes with.

Does the car have separate mid-range and tweeters or just a bunch of full range speakers, and can the stock unit also drive a sub without additional crossovers and amps?

I would be very interested, however, to see what the Kenwood unit looks like installed. I really wonder how it alters the look of the center console. I you were to still post the pics I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Handbrake2.

If you have a RS200 top spec Altezza, you have 8 speakers -

Two tweeters on the doors near the vents beside the wing mirrors

Two in the front doors (full range)

Two 2-way rear parcel-shelf speakers (High/low)

The stock has no outputs (non-fading or rear) to drive anything else, tho if you use the search function you'll find articles on people soldering rca adapters on to the head unit to create outputs.

I found the stock headunit very competent, but I found the sound very muddy down the low-end, and the top end wasn't particularly sharp - it didn't have quite the full frequency response. Having said that, it's certainly one of the best stock headunit's I've come across in a car, but the older one's are prone to having the CDs jamming, so I had no option but to change... any decent aftermarket headunit will sound better - I get much better channel separation and very crisp bass.

I'll take some pics and post this evening...

Here you go... some pics of my Japanese imported Kenwood ICE unit :)

DSC01454.sized.jpg

Console shot

DSC01456.sized.jpg

Showing playing MiniDisc (with full text capability)

DSC01457.sized.jpg

Digital XOver and Time delay controls

DSC01458.sized.jpg

Subwoofer :yahoo:

DSC01459.sized.jpg

Ported thru ski-hatch

DSC01460.sized.jpg

Sound positioning function - focus sound around cabin

DSC01461.sized.jpg

Schweeeet!!!

DSC01462.sized.jpg

Motorised front plate for Eject

DSC01463.sized.jpg

Closing

DSC01464.sized.jpg

Open

Kavey, did you have the facia around the new head unit custom made?

Handbrake2.

The trim around the head unit is an original JDM part for the Altezza - the Altezza Aftermarket Dash-Kit - it only fits Altezzas, as it replaces the whole lower section of the console - the existing TRC and SNOW buttons pop out of the old trim and fit into the Dash-Kit.

It is available as an import item and works out to about £80 if I remember correctly. More expensive than aftermarket fascias you can get, but it matches the plastic on the rest of the trip perfectly.

Asam

that is a nice headunit......

what is the model number and such like

Kenwood DPX-9200WMP... only available in Japan :shifty:

As seen here - http://www.kenwood.com/j/products/car_audi...in/dpx_9200wmp/

Altavista it or check above post for a translated version. Works perfectly but obviously needs an FM band expander to get all the stations in the UK. MP3 ID3 tags, MD names etc and all functions are in English.

It is lovely and sounds superb, with 4x50W isolated MOSFET amps for really clear channel separation, but the best thing is the soundfield time-delay control, DSP and sound focusing stuff.

I've had it since December, but am looking to sell it as I want to redo the whole ICE install. I'm actually looking to put a mini PC in my car linking to a screen, so I can do whatever I want with the display - watch DVD, use it as SatNav, play MAME arcade games etc :winky: All I would need to do is to upgrade the PC etc to add new functionality...

KV

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links