Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all..been thinking of buying my second Jaguar (had a Daimler Double Six 1994 a few years ago)...lovely ride and engine but so expensive to maintain....

Anyway, friend recommended a Lexus LS...don't know much about Lexus and been looking at the various sites, eBay etc etc....to get an idea of what to buy.

Budget wise, around 4k max - mileage is not a problem as I gather they go on forever, if maintained regularly....

So, thinking of a Mk4 (which years where they made) or LS430....

Opinions and ideas, welcome...or shall I stick to a Jag?

-The general concensus amongst owners is the Mark 4 (97-00)is the best out of the lot

Find one with a full service history - get it LPG converted and you have the most comfortable, reliable,smoothest,quitest car in the world and You will get some change leftover from 4K

have a read here also - it tells you what to look out for when buying

http://www.lexusowne...showtopic=76251

Some members on here have had to fork out money to replace headlamp bulbs that are only 15 years old so reliabiblty can be a problem. My own Lexus is a 1998 MK4 which most say are the best and had to replace the Battery 18 months ago which was the original Battery at Lexus Reading and they charged me £67 which included fitting and the mornings papers coffee and biscuits. I was going to complain but the young lady was so nice I didnt bother.

I had mine converted to LPG as soon as I bought it (Now £1050 Profess South Wales 8 hours installation complete) and this has had the effect of many people questioning as to my mental state as I have the biggest grin over my face 24 hours a day, even when I am handing payment over after a fill up at the filling station.

In other words go for it.

Get a test drive in one this will sell you Lexus then go for the best one your budget will allow. They are out there you just have to be patient. Some have neen up for sale for months one I know of has been up for over two years, these are mainly because trhey are overpriced in the first place. FSH is important but that goes for any car.

Be very careful if you buy an LPG one already converted. You will need an LPG certificate for your insurance and LPG comes into the MOT for the first time this year. If there is any smell of gas walk, no run and very quickly.

Thats enough for you to be going on with.

Happy hunting.

Mike

I have owned several Jaguars a 1989 XJ6, 1992 XJ6, 1996 XJ6 and recently a 2.5 V6 AWD X-Type. I have also owned several LS400s : 1993 mkII, 1996 MKIII, 1994 MKII and now a 1998 MKIV on LPG.

Compared to the Ls, in my personal opinion, the Jags are crap really. The LS is soooo much more refined, smoother, more powerfull, more reliable and more economical. And last but not least....soooooo much quieter :)

I have owned several Jaguars a 1989 XJ6, 1992 XJ6, 1996 XJ6 and recently a 2.5 V6 AWD X-Type. I have also owned several LS400s : 1993 mkII, 1996 MKIII, 1994 MKII and now a 1998 MKIV on LPG.

Compared to the Ls, in my personal opinion, the Jags are crap really. The LS is soooo much more refined, smoother, more powerfull, more reliable and more economical. And last but not least....soooooo much quieter :)

I had a brand new Daimler XJ6 4.2 S reg and it was the most boring car I have ever owned. After only 16k miles the engine needed a rebuild because of excessive oil consumption at 20k they replaced the engine. I sold it and bought a Mercedes 280 SE Much better but still not a Lexus LS 400.

Mike

Thanks once again for the comments....never driven a Lexus....I heard of an estate agent who had an RX450h (new) and sold it as it was too boring...he ended up with a Jaguar XF.....

Will have a hunt around and see what is in my price range...updates to follow...

Look at it this way. I gave a colleague a 50-mile lift up the motorway yesterday. He said the LS was by far one of the quietest cars he'd been in, and he likes his cars. He also commented on the amount of equipment, which is of course all standard.

I have had a few Bmw 7series and a range rover recently .i loved bemmers and realy liked the rangy then a guy asked if i would swap the

97 rangy for a 99 LS400 , i did not want to untill i drove the LS blew me away quiet refined and fast ,the rangy was a 2.5 diesel and the Lexus is even better on fuel. Could not do the deal fast enough and no cash involed SWEET. Ps i have to buy another one as the misses keep borrowing it.

I love my GS 430 but i have to say having 2 Jaguars an S-type and a XJ8. I would get a Jaguar pain to fix but beautiful to drive cant beat an XJ8 like flying along the road.

funny thing is that, on the Jaguar forums, you will read things like 'car wouldn't start' or 'car stalled' etc etc....you never seem to read about that on the Lexus forums....

Hi all..been thinking of buying my second Jaguar (had a Daimler Double Six 1994 a few years ago)...lovely ride and engine but so expensive to maintain....

Anyway, friend recommended a Lexus LS...don't know much about Lexus and been looking at the various sites, ebay etc etc....to get an idea of what to buy.

Budget wise, around 4k max - mileage is not a problem as I gather they go on forever, if maintained regularly....

So, thinking of a Mk4 (which years where they made) or LS430....

Opinions and ideas, welcome...or shall I stick to a Jag?

You wont be disapointed if you buy an LS. Had mine for 4 years nearly and its been bullet proof pretty much. Just service and a few cheap to repair suspension parts (I live 1 mile up a very rough pot holed track)(my brand new 06 plate merc was knackered after 20k miles) and they are fantastic to drive.

im looking at a 93 Jaguar Sovereign 4lt Auto on lpg at the moment as an extra car. Any good?

There are two ways to look at the initial cost:

Search for a MK 4 LS400, which do appear to have quite a good reputation but may seem overpriced next to a newer LS430

or Search for an LS430 and maintain a 'War Chest' for problems that you may encounter, so things that would not crop up on a MK 4.

Next time I change my car I'll be going for the latter approach, and if not a LS430, a Bentley, as in my opinion, they are probably the only thing that would beat LS ownership.

Bentley eh? Mmmmmm..depends on which one....I read on Pistonheads forum that the Turbo Rs can cost, maybe, £7k pa to maintain and take care of scheduled maintenance parts....not my league, to be honest...I thought about the Continental and that makes more sense financially, although some say it is not a 'proper' Bentley.

To me, a car needs to go from A to B and

a. not break down

and

b. make you feel good

Candidates:

Lexus

E39 BMW (I would say better build quality and more pleasurable to drive than my 535d)

Jaguar XJ (Super V8?)

Bentley Continental

No experience of Mercedes so can't comment

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links