Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have read in other topics that owners have had their alloys replaced under warranty, some having done 60K and less. I own a IS250 SE-L on a 06 plate with 47000 on the clock. I bought it second hand a year ago. The two front wheels are showing signs of corrosion but have been 'kerbed' a few times by the previous owner. My question is do I have chance of replacements under a Lexus Warranty, or am I just dreaming. Your thoughts please.

Rob.

Its always worth a try, but it sounds like you are out of warranty so I doubt that they will change them. We had our '07 IS250 wheels changed due to corrosion, when the car was still in warranty and the 2 front had been kerbed so that's not an issue.

I wish my alloys had lasted 60K. I've had my car just over 2 years now and I'm on the third set of alloys (and now outside the warranty period).

If you bought the car from a dealer you may be lucky and they might replace them as a goodwill gesture, but in my experience, if they have any signs of kerbing then it's your problem not theirs, irrespective of whether the blistering is in the same location as the kerbing.

I was quoted around £330 per wheel to buy new ones, but that came with no guarantee that they'd last any longer than the previous ones.

I wish my alloys had lasted 60K. I've had my car just over 2 years now and I'm on the third set of alloys (and now outside the warranty period).

If you bought the car from a dealer you may be lucky and they might replace them as a goodwill gesture, but in my experience, if they have any signs of kerbing then it's your problem not theirs, irrespective of whether the blistering is in the same location as the kerbing.

I was quoted around £330 per wheel to buy new ones, but that came with no guarantee that they'd last any longer than the previous ones.

I have been using Poorboys wheel sealant about twice a month on our cars and our replacement wheels have lasted over two years now without any signs of corrosion (touch wood!)

Mine's a 59 plate SEL with 18 inch wheels. There are no signs of any corrosion whatsoever. Makes me think something has changed in the manufacturing process over the years. Anyone with a similar aged vehicle or more recent got any comments?

My IS250 SE-L is same age and mileage as seasideshuffle and my wheels have also corroded again (they were refurbed before I got the car) I can't believe that Lexus would change my wheels f.o.c. I bought from an independent anyway. Not sure its worth getting a refurb done.. the car has cost me a fortune in tyres in the last year (the allignment on all 4 wheels was out) never mind dealer servicing (and now brake discs and pads) I'm on the verge of chopping it - but what to get instead...and no dosh left!post-34774-0-76491600-1333351536.jpg

Oh and the value has plummeted!

Mine's a 59 plate SEL with 18 inch wheels. There are no signs of any corrosion whatsoever. Makes me think something has changed in the manufacturing process over the years. Anyone with a similar aged vehicle or more recent got any comments?

Hey Exiled.. I hope the manufacturing has improved - as the early cars (like mine) are prone to rattles and squeaks. How do you find the ride on your car with the 18 inch wheels on? I notice that the Advance models they are selling now have standard 18's .. Where I am the roads are pretty poor and I find the ride with the standard 17's is annoyingly jiggly. MW

The alloys are my single biggest gripe about my IS. I had a new set under warranty after 2 years, but now another two years on I'm back to square one with the replacement set. This is despite regular cleaning (just warm soapy water).

Lexus regularly phone me up to get my feedback and do surveys and I always raise the low quality of their alloys. Hopefully one day the right heads will get banged together and something will change.

Hey Exiled.. I hope the manufacturing has improved - as the early cars (like mine) are prone to rattles and squeaks. How do you find the ride on your car with the 18 inch wheels on? I notice that the Advance models they are selling now have standard 18's .. Where I am the roads are pretty poor and I find the ride with the standard 17's is annoyingly jiggly. MW

Don't they put the 18 inch wheels on because they make the car look better? With the 17 inch there is more air and rubber between the rim and the road ( isn't there ?) I remember reading Honest John's comments on the BMW 5 Series a few years ago he was advising buyers to opt for the basic 17 inch wheel as it gave a much better ride. My 250 gives a hard ride and also is jiggly over bad surfaces and it's getting more and more difficult to avoid potholes, I try and drive around them where possible but they have multiplied and now on many roads stretch from gutter to crown. I also cycle and the jarring on your joints is horrendous and becoming less pleasurable as a pastime and dangerous, you're riding on a country road at 20 mph being overtaken by cars when 20 yds in front of you is a b..... great pot hole, not good.

Regarding squeaks and rattles I'm free of both so perhaps earlier lessons have been learnt but has it taken 4 years to eradicate them? I've always been loathe to buying early production models and like to wait at least 2 or 3 years.

If I were going out tomorrow though to buy a new car I would buy exactly the same, I absolutely adore it!

Once again, Poor boys wheel sealant is the key

If I were going out tomorrow though to buy a new car I would buy exactly the same, I absolutely adore it!

I would have to agree, however if I wasn't doing so many miles a week, I could be very tempted by an ISF ^_^

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links