Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

92 Ls 400 Wearing Down

Grandpa

Hi, Im new here, but my family has had the 92 LS 400 for about 3 years, we bought it used. But, now our LS 400 is starting to wear down. The LS 400 will not start if it is idled for about 2 days without starting it. You need to drive it continously or else you'll need to jump start it. (what could be causing it, a new Battery?), the air conditioner is no longer useable.. it just blows out air the temperature outside is. And the casing for the electronics around the door unlock/lock, up/down, is coming up and moving the windows up goes very slow. And the little keychain to put the alarm on the lexus and to lock it no longer activates the lock/alarm. But the red button on the key-chain is lighting up, signifying the Battery in the keychain is working. Maybe there is a button that deactivates the keychain thingy. I was messing with some of the buttons a while back to see what they do :). Can i have some answers on some of these that i can fix on my own? I dont want to spend too much money at the dealership to service it. I would just like a few answers on the Starting up the car, and key-chain(activates alarm and locks/unlocks car). Thank you

Alright i'll have the altenator + Battery checked this weekend... as for the Locking, the on/off remote button was indeed on the off position, but i still cant manage to get it working :( it was working a while back ago. Ty for your guy's help

try replace the Battery in the keyfob, the light's a LED which dont need muhc power but maybe there's not enough juice left in the Battery to active the central locking? :blink:

if the thing with the Battery and alternator dont work, try checking if there's anything that stays on after you lock the car which might drain the Battery, e.g. the light in the boot or on the indide of one of the doors? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

The AC system is very expensive to repair on these cars if they break down. If it's just a regas then this would cost about £50. Pre 1993 cars used the CFC gases. Cars using the old gases cannot be regassed until they have been retrofitted to accept the new CFC free gas. The retrofit alone will probably cost about £150. Then there are the other components - compressor, compressor clutch, condensor, evaporator.... . These are all very expensive items. If any of these require replacing or all then the cost can run to over £1000! The longer the AC is faulty and not used the more the chance of the parts in the AC system having to be replaced.

• 3 months later...

Your alternator should be putting out at least 14 volts at the Battery as soon as the car starts, unless your Battery is very low. Nevertheless you should get at least 14 volts within a few minutes.

If not, your alternator is not working, perhaps due to worn out brushes.

Make sure no glove box lights, trunk lights etc. remain on when you park the car. That will kill the Battery after a few days.

If your Battery is more than 4 years old it should probably be replaced, although I have had batteries last longer, but not in hot weather country.

Ernie

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links