Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

My Gs300 Squeaks When I Release Brake Pedal

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a known issue... I started noticing grinding squeaky noise when I release brake pedal. This tends to happen when it's cold or wet, and it disappears after the car's been driven for a while. It is most noticeable when I try to pull out of a parking spot after parking the car in the cold or rain overnight. Taking the car in for a servicing tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone could advise??

Many thanks in advance!!

Jake

Grinding/squeaking noise from where?

The foot operated parking brake or the back of the car?

If the former, then a bit of grease should be all that's needed.

Assuming you're referring to the rear end of the car, then sounds like it could be the known issue of brake caliper binding.

Chances are the dealership will want to replace, but it may just need a bit of hi-temp grease, if the calipers or piston seals aren't worth their weight in scrap.

That's presuming there's no separate parking brake caliper and pad - which if there is, could/should be cheaper to replace, if need be.

Grinding/squeaking noise from where?

The foot operated parking brake or the back of the car?

If the former, then a bit of grease should be all that's needed.

Assuming you're referring to the rear end of the car, then sounds like it could be the known issue of brake caliper binding.

Chances are the dealership will want to replace, but it may just need a bit of hi-temp grease, if the calipers or piston seals aren't worth their weight in scrap.

That's presuming there's no separate parking brake caliper and pad - which if there is, could/should be cheaper to replace, if need be.

Many thanks for the reply! I was actually referring to some grinding noise coming from the front wheels, it feels like it's right underneath the brake pedal... I can feel the vibration too. It goes away after the car is driven for a few minutes, and it usually happens after the car had been parked in the rain or cold for a while... Took it into the dealer for seriving (£1k!! ouch! the front tyres need replacing and they also found a oil leak on the shock absorber which had to be looked at), anyway, they said it's normal sound, apparently it's to do with water or dust getting on to the surface of the disc and it's rubbing the pads?? which explains why it only happens sometimes... They did mention that the pads on my car had recently been replaced, but not the discs. They recommended the discs to be replaced but at an extra £500, i opted it out for now... maybe that's what is causing it?

£1k for a service????? Do they say whether its front or rear discs need replacing? Strange they weren't replaced when the pads were replaced.....if you get new discs now you will need to replace the pads again. Are front tyres in need of replacement because of amount of tread left or uneven wear? Even with new discs and pads you will still get thin rust layer on discs if left but it wears off on driving/braking.

Thanks for the reply! The servicing costs £270, tyres, tread down to 3 on both front wheels, cost £360, fixing the shock absorber leak quoted for £340, plus a new EU number plate, £20. All in £1k :(

So are you saying even if i had all discs and pads replaced, the sound would still be inevitable? I didnt go for the recommendation to replace the discs, as its just advised not urgent. Good job i didnt too if it wouldnt make any difference...

Thanks for the reply! The servicing costs £270, tyres, tread down to 3 on both front wheels, cost £360, fixing the shock absorber leak quoted for £340, plus a new EU number plate, £20. All in £1k :(

So are you saying even if i had all discs and pads replaced, the sound would still be inevitable? I didnt go for the recommendation to replace the discs, as its just advised not urgent. Good job i didnt too if it wouldnt make any difference...

£340 is way over to "fix a leak" on a shock absorber? Lexus main dealers charge £495 to replace PAIR of shocks front or rear on a 2005 GS.

Cars with disc brakes tend to get a very thin film of what looks like rust on the disc surface in damp weather which is then worn off almost immediately when the car is driven. This will happen even with new discs. Have a look round a few dealers and look at cars on their forecourt. If they haven't moved for a couple of days when the weather isn't good then you will notice the same on the discs on those cars. Which tyres did they fit.......top quality I hope for £180 each.

£340 is way over to "fix a leak" on a shock absorber? Lexus main dealers charge £495 to replace PAIR of shocks front or rear on a 2005 GS.

Cars with disc brakes tend to get a very thin film of what looks like rust on the disc surface in damp weather which is then worn off almost immediately when the car is driven. This will happen even with new discs. Have a look round a few dealers and look at cars on their forecourt. If they haven't moved for a couple of days when the weather isn't good then you will notice the same on the discs on those cars. Which tyres did they fit.......top quality I hope for £180 each.

Thanks for the advice!! I am very inexperienced and this is my first ever car! They probably saw that and took the advantage :( To be honest I just wanted to get it fixed but I will bear this in mind next time and check on the forum first before signing any invoice! I did ask them if they would replace the pair for that price and I undertand it's good practice to replace the shockers always in pairs? But I was told that's not the case anymore and they tend to just replace the leaked/broken one now instead. Is this BS? I mean they could have told me to replace both and charged me for it but they didn't... This is a main dealer in Brislington, Bristol by the way, so I was counting on its reputation for not ripping me off.

Not sure what tyres they are replacing with (see? newbie or what! such an idiot :( but on the list it says dunlop next to the cost estimate... any idea if they are worth the money?

Many thanks!

It might be worth checking a couple of tyre websites like blackcircles.com to check prices on tyres.

It is good practice to replace shockers in pairs but isnt essential though at £340 to fix one when Lexus will replace two for £495 it seems a bit of a rip off. Have they done it yet or just quoted for the work?

You say the garage is a main dealer but which car manufacturer is it a main dealer for?

I assume you purchased from a private buyer since you are paying for repairs.

Once everything is sorted I'm sure it will give you many miles of enjoyable motoring.

If that is the Bristol Lexus dealer then they should know better regarding cost of shocks! Click onto "Lexus Essential Care" at top of this site and scroll down to GS models. It gives fixed prices for replacement of various parts. You will note then the price per PAIR on shocks.

Thanks guys! It is indeed Lexus garage/dealer in Bristol. I am shocked that they would over charge! The work had been done today and paid for, but is there anything i can do to ask for some money back? How authoratitive are the price list?

Thanks!!

Thanks guys! It is indeed Lexus garage/dealer in Bristol. I am shocked that they would over charge! The work had been done today and paid for, but is there anything i can do to ask for some money back? How authoratitive are the price list?

Thanks!!

I would certainly approach them and ask why they did not advise you regarding the Lexus Fixed price repairs and charge accordingly. The price is on their website if you check. On their site click Lexus Services, then Owners, then Service your Lexus, then Fixed price promise, more details and scroll down to GS models.

They cant really argue if it is on their own website.

Thanks!!

I would certainly approach them and ask why they did not advise you regarding the Lexus Fixed price repairs and charge accordingly. The price is on their website if you check. On their site click Lexus Services, then Owners, then Service your Lexus, then Fixed price promise, more details and scroll down to GS models.

They cant really argue if it is on their own website.

Thanks for the advice guys! called them and I was told the price for replacing one is more than just halving the price for replacing the pair... as there's no price listed in the Promise Table for fixing just one Shock, I had to take their words for it :(

Oh well, you learn don't you. At least they are friendly people and quite efficient. I still would prefer to get a Lexus dealer to repair/inspect the car than a local garage though. At least now I know there's a price table to refer to :)

Thanks again guys!

Thanks for the advice guys! called them and I was told the price for replacing one is more than just halving the price for replacing the pair... as there's no price listed in the Promise Table for fixing just one Shock, I had to take their words for it :(

Oh well, you learn don't you. At least they are friendly people and quite efficient. I still would prefer to get a Lexus dealer to repair/inspect the car than a local garage though. At least now I know there's a price table to refer to :)

Thanks again guys!

No wonder they were "friendly" since they didn't bother to tell you that for an extra £150 you could replace both shocks. They certainly don't sound very efficient though. Will they charge £340 again next year to replace the other shock?

At least it is all fixed now.

Is Lexus Bristol on the Gold LOC membership discount scheme? Just thinking for the yearly membership cost and a 10% discount you would have already been up on the deal.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links