Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Judder When Braking.

Samsboy

Hope somebody can help me when I'm driving above 60mph and brake I get a judder through the steering wheel yet when I'm doing less than 60mph and brake it's fine. Could this be warped discs? Or wheel balancing? Please any advise would be helpful. It's on a 2000 is 200 navigator. Thanks.

I had the exact same problem. As soon as I broke from over 60 mph really bad judder! It turned out to be a sticking brake calliper.

If the judder started off small and has been getting gradually worse then it could be warped discs but if the judder suddenly appeared then its more likely to be a sticking calliper.

A sticking caliber will also smell quite badly and you'll notice it when you get out of the car. Also feel your alloys after driving. If 1 is hotter to touch than the others the there's your sticking calliper.

The calliper cost me £370 fitted from Lexus! Ouch! I also had to get new discs and pads as the sticking calliper had warped it! Total bill at dealership £600!

This is a common problem, I have 2 friends with IS200 and we've all suffered from the sticky calliper!

Hi I have just been through this common problem myself . the 1st check is as stated the discs are warped ; before buying new discs get the run out checked with a dial guage ;if this is OK it will be the caliper ;Mine was 2 thou so I fitted new calipers ;No need to pay Lexus prices ,find a good independent ,they will fit rebuilt calipers for less than half what Lexus charge .If you are confident on working on brakes yourself it is not a difficult job . I do all my own repairs and bought rebuilt calipers from Livingstone Auto Parts only

£161 for the pair including £24 refundable surcharge and free next day delivery . At the same time I fitted stainless brake lines and now the brakes are superb .At these prices it is not worththe hassle of rebuilding them yourself .Site for reference www.livingstoneautoparts.co.uk. I have no connections and I find their service excellent

mine did this for a while and had a full wheel balance and geometry done by wheels in motion and has cured it. £129 all in.. so i would get the balancing done first and if this does not solve it then look into throwing money into doing the warped discs or seized calipers etc..

If it is warped discs, check to see exactly how bad they are and how much you have left on them. (Go to an independant for this). There are independants that will skim the discs for you. I had this done on a Mitsubishi and the workshop had a machine that would do it without even removing the discs off the car!

Left the car with them for a couple of hours, went shopping, came back, paid from memory arounf £50. Job done, never had another problem as long as I owned the car.

• 4 months later...

I've same problem. Could this be reason for trc off flashing and engine light on??? I've been quoted £93 for front discs and pads at local parts shop. But considering drilled and grooved discs and green pads! Can I leave normal on rear for time being

I've same problem. Could this be reason for trc off flashing and engine light on??? I've been quoted £93 for front discs and pads at local parts shop. But considering drilled and grooved discs and green pads! Can I leave normal on rear for time being

Very very unlikely as brake problems don't trigger the check engine light to come on

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links