Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Cam Belt.

After reading the thread about changing the cam belt, I thought I'd best check mine. It's got 125k on the clock but the Lexus history goes to 109k so misses the next due change. It was a concern after seeing some of those pictures of half width belts.

Thankfully my worries were unfounded. I'd say it's only done 10k at the most.

Anyway, I've cut an inspection hole in the cover so I can have a quick nose whenever I do my fluid checks.

Nowt personal but you have got to be off your rocker... Do you have a look at your oil to decide when to change it too? Unless you have Xray specs then you have no clue of the condition of that belt or how long that belt has been on other than the service documentation. The pictures of worn belts are very unusual and is indicative of worn tensioners or idlers... Usually belts just snap with no warning. Good luck.

I take your point, but I'm an electro mechanical engineer and have been inspecting and replacing timing belts on all sorts of machinery since my apprenticeship. A lot can be drawn about a machine from the condition of its belt, such as the way it is wearing for example. An example of this is the premature wear some have seen from the tensioner failure. Tensioner issues are not uncommon on many cars.

I'm not intending on passing on changing the belt at the required intervals. I just like to see what's happening in between intervals.

I can happily conclude that my belt has done less than 10k because of its condition. It is litteraly like new. I don't have service history to say the belt was changed at its second due interval of 120k as the history stops at 109k, but visually it obviously was.

So maybe I just didn't explain myself properly. I'm not great at typing what I'm thinking half the time!

So to cut a long story short, I had no idea if the belt had been changed so it was important I checked it.

Fair comment, you have the experience to make an educated call on the condition... I recently changed my belt and tensioners, the car had done less than 50k but was more concerned with the age factor.. To be fair the belt looked like brand new but since the car tends sit on the drive for long periods and then suddenly gets driven down through mainland Europe I just decided that the timing belt was best changed for the few quid it cost to buy and a couple of hours in the evening to fit (Including tensioners, idler and waterpump) and she's ready to go

I don't blame you at all there. Its worth it for peace of mind.

It all hinges on that cheap belt! One snap and theres a big bill in tow!

One advantage of a longitudinal mounted engine is the cam belt access. Transverse engines are just aweful!

Ha, yeah. Once you pop out the radiator there is enough room to dance a little jig in there. It's been a long time since I have had a vehicle with a transverse engine with a belt. the van has a chain and the Jeep, well I have no idea, I guess that it is a pushrod system but in nearly 170k the engine has never needed to be opened.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links