Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there guys, I am in need of your help/ opinions on this one.

I am in an on-going hunt for another Lexus ( previously owned a 1998 Gs 300 ). I have driven a few 400's at this stage and have come across a very nice 2000 model with lots of service history. The problem I am having however, is that I am finding them somewhat '' vague '', for want of a better word, to drive. It feels like a very dis-connected drive.

When I owned my Gs 300 I remembered it to be a fabulous car to drive, very solid and responsive. A very ''involved'' drive. When a 2001 plate Gs 300 came up for sale recently I went and took it for a spin, to make sure time and memory hadn't conjured up foolish romantic memories, but indeed they had not! Driving it took me right back to my old 300 and how fabulous it felt. It reminded me of just what the Lexus badge represents, and why after just a week I returned to the garage where I had traded it in to buy it back, but she had been moved on.

I really was hoping to go for the Ls 400 having read nothing but praise and admiration for it, and am still seriously considering it, but I am afraid that having purchased it will not live up to my expectations. I am in no doubt that it is certainly one of the best built cars in the world, which for me is a very big part of the decision to purchase.

I am assuming that the problem here is that the two cars are in completely different categories and that it is foolish of me to be comparing them in such a way. But, like I have said I am afraid that if I do buy a 400 it will fail to impress me and will not give me the joy of driving as my old 300 did.

I would really appreciate any of Your opinions/ experiences on driving both of these cars and any pointers on where I may be going wrong here. Perhaps I am not getting enough time with a 400 to really get to know how good they can be.

Thanks in advance guys,

Colm.

Hi there guys, I am in need of your help/ opinions on this one.

I am in an on-going hunt for another Lexus ( previously owned a 1998 Gs 300 ). I have driven a few 400's at this stage and have come across a very nice 2000 model with lots of service history. The problem I am having however, is that I am finding them somewhat '' vague '', for want of a better word, to drive. It feels like a very dis-connected drive.

When I owned my Gs 300 I remembered it to be a fabulous car to drive, very solid and responsive. A very ''involved'' drive. When a 2001 plate Gs 300 came up for sale recently I went and took it for a spin, to make sure time and memory hadn't conjured up foolish romantic memories, but indeed they had not! Driving it took me right back to my old 300 and how fabulous it felt. It reminded me of just what the Lexus badge represents, and why after just a week I returned to the garage where I had traded it in to buy it back, but she had been moved on.

I really was hoping to go for the Ls 400 having read nothing but praise and admiration for it, and am still seriously considering it, but I am afraid that having purchased it will not live up to my expectations. I am in no doubt that it is certainly one of the best built cars in the world, which for me is a very big part of the decision to purchase.

I am assuming that the problem here is that the two cars are in completely different categories and that it is foolish of me to be comparing them in such a way. But, like I have said I am afraid that if I do buy a 400 it will fail to impress me and will not give me the joy of driving as my old 300 did.

I would really appreciate any of Your opinions/ experiences on driving both of these cars and any pointers on where I may be going wrong here. Perhaps I am not getting enough time with a 400 to really get to know how good they can be.

Thanks in advance guys,

Colm.

The motoring press have slated since its inception the lack of road feel that the LS400 as .Having owned a mark1 for 16 years I was aware that the steering on that model was vauge and wooly I have now moved upto a 98 mark4 which is the same as you are looking at and can report a vast improvement in the road feel through the steering ,but your perception of driving in the two cars is swayed by the fact the 300 was built as a luxury drivers car not as a seamless luxury sedan and over time you will appreciate the sublime difference.Ho and by the way the LS400 is not one of the best built cars in the world the Lexus LS400 is the best built car in the world bar non.

Thank you ambermarine for the reply.

Funnily enough it was a 1990, high mileage, poorly looked after 400 that got me addicted to the lexus badge in the first place. Coming from the rather harsh ride in a Toyota Supra I was blown away by the incredible comfort that it had, and I quite enjoyed the ''wallowy'' feel to it.

But somehow I still remember it to be a nicer drive than any of the Mk iv 400's that I have driven. I find that there is a lack of response through the accelerator, something akin to a computer game feel perhaps? It kind of feels like you just push the pedal to move without much control or involvement. God I hope I dont upset you guys as it sounds like I am really knocking the 400's, which is certainly not the case. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed owning my Gs 300 I find myself searching the classified's for the 400 first, which says a lot I think. Like I have said earlier perhaps it is my mindset that is in need of adjustment and a bit more time behind the wheel .

Thanks again,

Colm.

My 1994 LS400 has always had a vague driving feel to it, never had a problem at MOT time but even the tester who collects the car and brings it back made a comment about the handling but couldn't put a finger on the cause.

Mine also has the electronic adjustable TEMS suspension fitted ( not air) and combined with 17" low profile tyres the ride is quite hard for the LS. I have a set of 16" wheels and tyres so may when I get the chance and weather permitting try these on the car to see if it makes any difference.

I don't push the car to its extremes so I live with it.

I did have a 1999 GS300 for a short while and did notice the difference in handling in that it felt more sure footed and as the driver I felt more confident.

I still wonder if I should have sold the LS and kept the GS as I still see it driven locally now.

I think it all comes down to design the LS is the luxury barge and the GS a sports model so the suspension set up is completely different.

Colm - I have just switched from as 1995 GS300 sport to a 1999 LS400 and must say that on the whole the LS is a more sedate drive. I love everything about the MK1 GS300 and yes it is a more sporty drive but having used a Mk1 LS400 as a loan car when mine was in garage I was so impressed by the performance.

I too was initially put off by the wallowy feel of the LS but then read about the special handling package that was available on the MK4 which from a sporty driving point of view brings the LS on par with the GS but having had my LS for a couple of months now you just can't beat the added luxury that the LS offers, not to mention the silky smooth V8 in the LS.

If i were to be perfectly honest though if the Mk1 GS in sport guise was available with a V8 I would not have switched.

Thank you ambermarine for the reply.

Funnily enough it was a 1990, high mileage, poorly looked after 400 that got me addicted to the lexus badge in the first place. Coming from the rather harsh ride in a Toyota Supra I was blown away by the incredible comfort that it had, and I quite enjoyed the ''wallowy'' feel to it.

But somehow I still remember it to be a nicer drive than any of the Mk iv 400's that I have driven. I find that there is a lack of response through the accelerator, something akin to a computer game feel perhaps? It kind of feels like you just push the pedal to move without much control or involvement. God I hope I dont upset you guys as it sounds like I am really knocking the 400's, which is certainly not the case. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed owning my Gs 300 I find myself searching the classified's for the 400 first, which says a lot I think. Like I have said earlier perhaps it is my mindset that is in need of adjustment and a bit more time behind the wheel .

Thanks again,

Colm.

I can relate to that

i had a camry before i bought my first LS400. On the camry you had to just touch the throttle and it would - on the LS though initially it did feel as if your flooring the gas with not much response (partly because the LS engine does make much noise)

Howver after driving it you do get used to it and now into my 5th year as an LS driver and very happy all around

I dont think you can blame the car - The LS and GS are 2 different cars expecially handleing wise

If you want a car which handles better then go for the GS other wise LS

Thanks a lot for all the responses guys, I appreciate them all. I guess that which ever car I choose it will not be a bad decision either way.

I am quite familiar with the 2jz engine, and have a timing belt kit for a twin turbo model sitting in my garage which is sort of leaning me toward a Gs 300, plus surprising to myself I prefer the sporty feel to them over the 400. The slightly lower fuel performance of the 300 is outweighed over here by the difference in annual road tax ( Gs 300 = €1390, Ls 400= €1690 ..... ouch!! ). As it will be strictly a second car/ weekend car I do not need to be overly concerned with fuel consumption I guess, but need to be much more concerned about reliability and driver enjoyment. Ah decisions decisions..........

Thanks again guys,

Colm.

Before i got my 99 Ls400 my daily car was a superb BMW 740i a 98 model, sounded and looked great, fast responsive , i was never a lexus fan.

Sold the beemer due to a lot if faults cropping up and got a RangeRover a 97 model , lovely drive but build wad soso , then i was offered a swap for the Ls400 i still wasnt sure untill i sat in it , with the swap done i hit the motorway and grinned the whole way home faster than the beemer quiter , smoother and what a sound system i just love it, i will get a second one so the wife stops taken mine.

So just Drive and enjoy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links