Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking For A Lexus

CoopDog

hey guys,

im looking to buy a lexus is200 but not sure what to look for,

these are the questions i have,

what year is the best to get?

whats the difference in models, S, SE, Sport?

i want one in white but there doesnt seam to be many about :/

how many miles are alot for the engine? seeing alot in the 100,000m range

thank you

callum

The s model has cloth seats and 16 inch wheels though they can be changed at a later date. The mileage should not be a problem as these engines are very strong. The reg really doesnt matter as the car was changed very little over 6 years . But also look at the is300 as this has the same engine as the toyota supra non turbo and instead of 153 hp you have 211 ish and it has full leather interior . If possible see those for sale by someone on these sites

The s model has cloth seats and 16 inch wheels though they can be changed at a later date. The mileage should not be a problem as these engines are very strong. The reg really doesnt matter as the car was changed very little over 6 years . But also look at the is300 as this has the same engine as the toyota supra non turbo and instead of 153 hp you have 211 ish and it has full leather interior . If possible see those for sale by someone on these sites

thanks for the reply :)

im 20 so i think the is300 is a bit out of my price range one car cost and insurance :L

well the first thing id do is slam it and put different wheels on it,

MK1 White IS's are very rare and I still havent seen one on the road except when i was in the US...but these guys can make any IS you buy white for you think there are other companies like this across the country! they will body wrap your car rather than a full spray which cost more. check out what they did to this BM.. only live couple of miles from them so might pop in to have some tinits done on my IS3. an IS will certaiinly look good in white with body wrap carbon bonnet and carbon roof. they do all.

http://blog.ttints.c...46-pearl-white/

MK1 White IS's are very rare and I still havent seen one on the road except when i was in the US...but these guys can make any IS you buy white for you think there are other companies like this across the country! they will body wrap your car rather than a full spray which cost more. check out what they did to this BM.. only live couple of miles from them so might pop in to have some tinits done on my IS3. an IS will certaiinly look good in white with body wrap carbon bonnet and carbon roof. they do all.

http://blog.ttints.c...46-pearl-white/

yeah i was thinking about a wrap,

heres what im thinking of doing

62058_10152109459970357_1573275256_n.jpg

nice!! not too over the top nice carbon roof wrap would give it that sport DTM look.. man 20 year olds of today have really got it good i was driving mid 90's renault clio with 1.2 litre engine at 20.. which was over 10yrs ago..

sounds like you into car mods so go for the Sport versions as those have LSD's and they sit lower already from factory was gona suggest IS300 for more power but hold off for now and enjoy the IS200 153 bhp is more than enough for a 20yr old to control.. at 20, my renault was barely 60bhp..

nice!! not too over the top nice carbon roof wrap would give it that sport DTM look.. man 20 year olds of today have really got it good i was driving mid 90's renault clio with 1.2 litre engine at 20.. which was over 10yrs ago..

sounds like you into car mods so go for the Sport versions as those have LSD's and they sit lower already from factory was gona suggest IS300 for more power but hold off for now and enjoy the IS200 153 bhp is more than enough for a 20yr old to control.. at 20, my renault was barely 60bhp..

well ive been driving a 998 mini city putting out 64bhp for 3 years :L

528529_10151974647780357_59987870_n.jpg

also i dont know about the sport because the insurance is massivly different :L

actually the sport is only like £50 more :L

anyother differences between the 2?

:msn-oh: thought mine was bad!! you deserve an upgrade ASAP and Lexus is the right place... am liking those DTM sport yellow head lights tho... :shifty:

good luck with your search and you will find a good one dont worry if the one you find is not 100% so long as its not leaking fluids, starts ok, drives ok , shifts through all gears ok, full or some service history they rest can be put right by you once you buy it but try and push for ones which already have cambelt service done but then again wasnt sure if mine was done when i bought it so had it done for peace of mind...

difference is sport has LSD, lower suspension, sport metal peddles for more grip on the foot, rear spoiler, tinted windows thats it i think but bhp stays the same at 153.

:msn-oh: thought mine was bad!! you deserve an upgrade ASAP and Lexus is the right place... am liking those DTM sport yellow head lights tho... :shifty:

good luck with your search and you will find a good one dont worry if the one you find is not 100% so long as its not leaking fluids, starts ok, drives ok , shifts through all gears ok, full or some service history they rest can be put right by you once you buy it but try and push for ones which already have cambelt service done but then again wasnt sure if mine was done when i bought it so had it done for peace of mind...

difference is sport has LSD, lower suspension, sport metal peddles for more grip on the foot, rear spoiler, tinted windows thats it i think but bhp stays the same at 153.

oi cheeky, i love my mini :L

will keep it when i get a new car anyway, too much fun to sell,

and those yellow lights are original lucas headlight converters for driving in france, etc haha

hmmmmm how low is it?

and the spolier would be the first to come off :D

what difference does the lsd give?

and those yellow lights are original lucas headlight converters for driving in france, etc haha

hmmmmm how low is it?

yeh those sport headlight used to be on the 80's and 90's M versions of BMW's aswell those sold in Germany...standard IS sits at 1420mm and sport sits 15mm lower at 1405mm i think but need someone else to double confirm this..LSD simply gives your rear tires more grip so power gets put to the ground effectively they normally put into cars which are 200bhp and above but Lexus was generous and put it in the IS200 Sport and i have a feeling they knew 50% of IS buyers will boost or supercharge thier cars anyway so they made it easy for sport owners by installing it there and apparantley they do handle over 500bhp..so as you can see Lexus over engineered some parts on these cars.

hmmmmm how low is it?

yeh those sport headlight used to be on the 80's and 90's M versions of BMW's aswell those sold in Germany...standard IS sits at 1420mm and sport sits 15mm lower at 1405mm i think but need someone else to double confirm this..LSD simply gives your rear tires more grip so power gets put to the ground effectively they normally put into cars which are 200bhp and above but Lexus was generous and put it in the IS200 Sport and i have a feeling they knew 50% of IS buyers will boost or supercharge thier cars anyway so they made it easy for sport owners by installing it there and apparantley they do handle over 500bhp..so as you can see Lexus over engineered some parts on these cars.

but not the MPG part :L

nope 6 cylinders mate dont forget... pple always complain about this but they forget its not a 4 cylinder 16valve engine. but driven sensibly, you can get 25mpg in just town driving and 35 mpg on open road or motorway so its not too bad. but fire those 6 cylinders at every opportunity and you will pay at the pumps...

LSD stands for limited slip differential. A differential (diff) goes in the gearbox (on a front wheel drive car) or on the rear beam (rear wheel drive car) (or both for 4WD) and is what allows each driven wheel to receive power. An open diff will allow a wheel with less grip to spin freely - while the other wheel with grip puts the power down - ie, coming out a corner on full throttle, the weight is over one wheel more than the other, so the lighter wheel slips. What an LSD does is limit the slip through the diff so that the lighter wheel doesn't slip as much, thus providing more grip.

RS Turbo's even back in 1984 had an LSD in the gearbox (FWD) with only 132bhp, and having had both RS Turbo and the XR3i (105bhp), the difference is noticeable. An LSD in a RWD car, even with way under 200bhp is a good idea and will make a difference - however, all IS's had traction control, so the the difference of the LSD is overridden by that for the most part.

The bumper in your pic is called a "Legana" bumper - VERY hard to get hold of a genuine one, but there are some good fibreglass ones on eBay if you're prepared to do a bit of cutting sanding and bonding to get a perfect fit

i think all versions had sat navs as it might have been an option when buying from new but later models from 04, 05 had sat navs as standard full leather etc.. best is to go for the highest you can offored as they range between £1000 to £6000 on Autotrader. this IS model did not have any recall work in its time from 99 to 05 so all models are bullet proof but that does not mean they dont need maintenance as some people take the word 'bullet proof' as meaning it doesnt need an oil change. !! people complain about alloy corrosion but £200 at pristine alloys will make all four sets look new! so will boil down to your budget really!!

i think all versions had sat navs as it might have been an option when buying from new but later models from 04, 05 had sat navs as standard full leather etc.. best is to go for the highest you can offored as they range between £1000 to £6000 on Autotrader. this IS model did not have any recall work in its time from 99 to 05 so all models are bullet proof but that does not mean they dont need maintenance as some people take the word 'bullet proof' as meaning it doesnt need an oil change. !! people complain about alloy corrosion but £200 at pristine alloys will make all four sets look new! so will boil down to your budget really!!

owning a mini for 3 years, i know what a car needs and how much you do have to look after them to keep them on the road, so most of the work if any i will be doing myself on the car :)

been looking at some cars which are like £800-900, what kind of problems will these cars have?

Given the price mentioned, I doubt they will be the very best... engine, suspension, tired interiors will need work.

But for 900 its true shed motoring- buy it, drive it, when it breaks, scrap or break it for parts.

been looking at some cars which are like £800-900, what kind of problems will these cars have?

I just picked one up for £1100 and its very very good for the money, interior is very good, not mint, but very good, externally its very good origional paint, a few car park dings but ill pop them out. The motor is very strong, and gearbox is brilliant, and its for 164,000 on the clock. Suspension is spot on aswell. And mountains of paperwork to go with it

it just needs a wheel bearing and ill put a cam belt on it for peice of mind. id say look for cars with lots of service history and buy with ur head... not ur heart and u wont go far wrong.

I just picked one up for £1100 and its very very good for the money, interior is very good, not mint, but very good, externally its very good origional paint, a few car park dings but ill pop them out. The motor is very strong, and gearbox is brilliant, and its for 164,000 on the clock. Suspension is spot on aswell. And mountains of paperwork to go with it

it just needs a wheel bearing and ill put a cam belt on it for peice of mind. id say look for cars with lots of service history and buy with ur head... not ur heart and u wont go far wrong.

sound like u really hit yourself a jackpot... would love to see your ride (picture)

sweet :zee:

sound like u really hit yourself a jackpot... would love to see your ride (picture)

sweet :zee:

I put a few pics up of my car and bikes in the New members bit but heres the car again

20120922130041.jpg

20120922130034.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links